Guest viewing is limited

TKR Scar Tissue after Knee Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoie, I am glad that you are getting good advice here. I am amazed at the amount of interference orthopods are using----it reminds of what birthing was like in the 70's and 80's---there was so much interference from the staff it was hard to have a baby!! I stayed at home as long as I could to avoid all the "help" that I found at the hospital.

I think the reason that your MUA worked at 10 weeks last time was that you did not need an MUA. Getting one at five weeks is pretty brutal, no wonder you still have pain---your leg and you have not had enough rest and pain meds to make it through. I stayed in bed almost completely the first two weeks, then I used my OS's suggestion---one hour up and two hours down.

I did have some scar tissue form in my knee at almost two years post op. I had an open lysis of adhesions---which did take care of the problem, so you have lots of time to take care of adhesions later. We underestimate the time it will take for the knee to heal---and push ourselves to be up and about early. It is not worth the effort---rest now and then it is behind you.

I am happy to hear that more rest has meant less pain for you. My OS, like Mary's cautioned me about exercising too much on a hot and inflamed knee. He thought that that environment helped adhesions to form. After my surgery to remove adhesions, I took it easy for 8 weeks. I did only gentle stretching and now have a rom of 148 in that leg.
 
Hi Zoie that was a great post and anyone who thinks they need an MUA early in their recovery should read it.
I'm very fortunate in that my OS is take it easy and ROM will came as you slowly become more active.
Larry Rod I'm at 9 weeks and have tightness around my left knee it doesn't bend as well as the right. I've started walking over uneven ground this past week and felt it was worse. When I was walking today it seemed looser and 3 hours later it is still loose. Even if I stiffen up over night I know the bend is there and when the swelling goes down it will return. My PT was minimal, very gentle and my ROM is good. Slow, easy and listen to your knee works like a charm
Wanda
 
Hope that I am not hijacking anyone's thread - but has anyone any experience of scar tissue/adhesion removal when ROM is generally OK. My OS usually does this procedure where ROM is 80 of less however I am struggling with a largish quad adhesion. Are there any risks involved?
 
Puffin, why don't you post this question on your thread and I will address it there. Perhaps say how it was concluded you have a largish quad adhesion, and where it attaches, the symptoms, etc.
 
Thanks maryo52 - I did post it on my thread earlier today when I talked to the OS but I have not had any responses and just thought this one had more traffic
 
Hi Larry. Please follow the wisdom and advice of everyone here who caution you to NOT push a hot, inflamed knee. I wish I had this advice. For 5 weeks post-TKR, my home PT stressed building up strength, ignored swelling and never talked about icing and elevation. My knee, along the incision, was so hot I could have roasted marshmallows over it. In many ways, I only began a proper healing and recovery process once I found this forum. I empathize with that strong impulse to "get there" as quickly as possible, and to think that slowing-down is some form of laziness or slacking-off, or that it delays our journey. I've come to see that this inner-voice, pushing us to go faster, is the same voice that leads to road-rage by those who need to get to the red light before everyone else. That inner-voice is not my friend. It has only caused damage to the very thing I want: real, lasting healing. Rest, relax, recover. You, and all of us, will get to our destination safe and sound.
 
Hi Ramblin'
As long as you have redness, skin warmth, and/or swelling, DON'T have any more procedures done. You have to wait for this initial inflammation to go away before you know what is contributing to your lack of ROM. It took mine about 7 mos. to go away and I found that it was mostly this inflammation that was the contributor! Scar tissue occurs when your body repairs and replaces damaged cells. It is present in all surgeries, just some people (us) have a more intense inflammatory response. Yes, you may ultimately need lysis of adhesions but not NOW! People that have this procedure too soon often report even less ROM than before.
Exercising in a warm pool is great - I'm happy you found one! I go in my jacuzzi every day & do stretching exercises (I live in Ca). Just take one day at a time and stop visiting your ortho surgeon for awhile. Do your own PT if you can't find one who will do a less aggressive treatment (mine understood inflammation and backed off). We just worked on my walk, stairs and less strenuous activities.
Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom