THR Sarak - There's Life After a Hip Replacement

I thought once about trolling through my posts and recovery thread and editing ...until I saw How Many typos I really had!
I don't have a real interesting life, but that would be hours of my life I couldn't get back!:dubious:

You know I would never wish harm to my dancing hippy friend!:happyfeet:
 
I'm keeping the fingers crossed! While the anesthetic was still working (she said it would only last for about 30 minutes), I could lift my knee in a high marching motion without pain for the first time in months. I could also cross my leg with my ankle on my knee and bend forward without pain (I couldn't even sit up straight like that or even get my ankle up there with the lower leg at 90 degrees beforehand). Then the small joy (it is the little things, isn't it) of being able to lift my leg to get into the car without leaning back, using my hands to help or even a twinge of pain.

While it's too early to tell (it will take 2-3 days for the cortisone to take effect and then we'll see how much it does and how long it lasts), but definitely a good glimmer of hope. She said the cortisone was in the same injection as the anesthetic so it's in the same place. Getting an immediate improvement is a good sign for the future.

My son swims in his very last high school swim meet tonight. It is the "conference" meet and he made it into the finals in his 2 events. He isn't even close to having a time to qualify for the state meet, so this is it. That makes this mama sad! I've been at almost every swim meet he's had since he was 7 - including MANY that were all weekend affairs (lots of hours spent in camp chairs in a YMCA gymnasium) - often a couple of hours away from home. I think all the time driving, staying in hotels together and all the time in the crash area (@Mojo333 - it's a "term of art" so ok to use that word here) are why we're so close.
 
@SaraK I am really holding thumbs for you that the shot works!

Thank God you don’t have an infection or metalosis.

Strength to you!

P.s: Rest rest rest while the cortisone does its thing
 
@Harryn1 - you don't know me too well, do you? Joking aside, I'm definitely taking it easy today since my son has a swim meet in evening. Tomorrow I'll be back at the gym but it will be the same sort of work out I've been doing that doesn't stress the psoas. Friday I may try some dancing or a longer walk to see what things are like after (can I lift my leg into the car after or have to sit down and lift it into the car with my hands like last night). Saturday? I'll have a bunch of walking at the college football game and may try to sneak in some dancing if I get back to town early enough. Then it's on to testing it! The mild relief from the back injections didn't last long so I want to see the range of relief in case it doesn't last long -all in the name of diagnostics, of course! :rotfl:

Signed,
SaraK
President Emeritus ODIC
:loll:
 
Glad to hear you may have found an answer!

Regarding those DACs, I recall one several months ago in relation to a comment about "sock" aids - I will leave it at that lol.
 
Glad injection is looking positive @SaraK. Enjoy the swim meet tonight. I had similar experiences with my youngest--but it was in gyms at wrestling matches. While he didn't go as far as he would have liked, it was great for him to learn a lot and for us to spend time together.
 
Sounding good so far :fingersx:
Let's hope and pray it works :prayer:
Might be a little of this on the weekend > :happyfeet:
Have a great Thursday!
@SaraK
 
Oh I sure do hope this gives you long term relief.
I was on the swim team for three years so I know the conditions.
Aah...the smell of chlorine wafts through the memories.
Hope today is a much better day for you @SaraK :tada:
 
:yahoo:Well, the injection has certainly proven the diagnosis. Now, it's a question of how long the relief will last and how full it will be. That will determine the long-term treatment. I went dancing (yay!) :happyfeet:Friday night and had so much fun and no pain! Saturday, I went to the football game at my alma mater (about 2 hours away from home) and walked over 4 miles :walking:and did several flights of stairs (including trying running up some short steps). :running: I was still able to get into my car with no fuss/no pain and had no pain or stiffening that night. That led me to (of course - it is me, after all) overdo it a bit on Sunday. I changed my planned 3.5 mile hike to a 6 mile hike (relatively flat, paved surface). :hiking: I still had no pain or problems getting into my car afterwards. I had a little stiffness last night and this morning, but more like DOMS than what I was experiencing before - less pain than I had with little to no activity before the injection. My range of motion is improved (and so has my mood).

Tonight I'm going to do a bit different testing at the gym:good-bad: - I'm going to try (a limited amount - yes, really, I will limit it) of Russian twists, dead bugs, bird dogs, etc.) to see to what extent I can do them and what level of pain I have doing them. Maybe also some work on the rowing machine.

I am not back to where I was a few months ago and certainly not back to where I was pre-surgery, but this is much more improvement than I had with the injection into the psoas muscle. At a minimum, it does show that the diagnosis of psoas impingement is correct and that some form of intervention (whether injections or surgery) can get me back to a level of activity that works for me. I just wish it hadn't taken so long to get here (especially since I've been trying to get them to evaluate for this for months!).:headbang:

Happy Monday, everyone! :loveshwr:
 
Great news, I'm happy you found some relief, Sara.
I hope it continues to improve and lasts.
I'll bet it felt wonderful to be so active again without pain. A mood booster too....can't beat that.
I hope you have a nice week!
@SaraK
 
Last night at the gym was interesting. I didn't have pain when I was trying to do knee ups, etc. But found out just how much the muscles have atrophied from not doing much to engage the lower abdominal or hip flexors in several months. That will definitely force me to take this more slowly for those sorts of exercises. Yeah, yeah, @Mojo333 - even my physical therapist (not seeing him currently but he's been checking in and asking for updates) sent me the definition of "progressive" - as in a progressive return to normal activities.

I also tried more stretching yesterday and see much more in my future. There is such a visible difference in range of motion. I'm not pushing it too hard, but see improvements - particularly external rotation when the knee is flexed.

I'm also sleeping much better - not waking when I roll over, etc.

I'm hoping the injection lasts long enough to get back to where I was a few months ago - if not to preop levels. Even if not, though, this is definitely a level I could live with. It just depends on whether we can maintain it with just the injections. I won't see the doctor until early December (I take it as a good sign that he's looking at such a long followup period).
 
So glad you are seeing progress...I feel like I truly want to walk around behind you and say...nope..not yet...nuh-uh, that's enough reps.
You will be careful I am sure, because even if you cant do all you want right now...not being in excruciating pain and real live sleeping is pretty great.:friends:
 
Mojo - why do I see you doing the Dana Carvey imitation of Bush -"it wouldn't be prudent."
 
:wave: Hoping this Sunday morning finds you feeling okay?
I have been waking up every morning at 4am so of course with DST..even though I hadn't stirred yet, little Mo decided it was time for me to get up..at 3!
:mcoffee:
Hope the injection is holding...have a peaceful Sunday!
 
:wave: thanks for checking in Mojo! The injection is still holding at this point and things are good. Dancing Friday was great and the workout yesterday was good. With the workout, we are taking a progressive approach and not trying to do too much that I couldn't do before. (wait, me doing things in a gradual, progressive manner? Quick, take my temp! :loll:). I stayed in last night - not because the leg wasn't up to going out but because I was so enjoying the football games (starting with Mizzou trouncing Florida) and then fell asleep in my chair about 9:30!

My trainer was shocked when she stretched me after the workout. She started and, in the middle of the first leg, she realized she was working with the gimpy one and that it was almost like the other. :wowspring: So much better range of motion and she didn't have to support it when she was done - I could lower on my own.

The one not-so-good sign is that I still have the sound when I move it forward when walking. Not all the time but often enough. Kind of like a rubber band that's stretched and then thwack against something as its released. Looking back, I've had that sound for a long time - even before surgery. It may mean nothing but it may mean the tendon is still getting hung up. I'll do my Scarlett O"hara "I'll worry about that tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day.". Right now, I'm just going to enjoy this! :happydance:

I hope little Mojo gets his timing adjusted soon! I can't imagine getting up at 4 each morning and 3 is NOT morning under any time system I recognize. It always took us about a week to get the dog and kids to reset their internal clocks. I hope this is quicker - maybe little Mojo is smarter than my dog and kids. :heehee:
 
My cats didn't get the memo about the time change either. Glad to hear things are feeling pretty good for you! We went to the Michigan - Penn State game yesterday and were quite happy with the outcome!
 
I'll do my Scarlett O"hara "I'll worry about that tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day."
Well now...all of the progressive talk and not the Scarlett O'Hara line I was anticipating ..."Frankly dear Mojo...."
You certainly need your temperature checked...but good for you.
Wish I could arrange a ballgame for you every day!
Glad you are seeing improvement.
Hope today is equally restful.
 
:wave:Just popping by to let you know I am thinking of you and hope that you aren't Overdoing it!
Sorry...Habit!:blush:

Hope this is a good week :loveshwr:@SaraK
 
:hi: @SaraK
Glad to hear you're doing better.
I hope it continues and that the sound you're hearing is benign.
Wishing you a great week. We're freezing up here and snow on the ground already.
It's too early!
 
Sometime, the worst part about working progressively is that you might not have enough time to make progress! You guessed it, the effects of the injection are wearing off. It started a few days ago and each day regressed a bit more (even with me taking a day of rest yesterday, it was worse today).. I'm not where I was before the injection, but it seems to be heading there. I'm not sure whether they'll try another injection or whether the effect was so short they'll decide to move on to the next option. If another injection, I'm not sure if they'll make me wait for the 3 month date. My follow up isn't until Dec 5 but I may shoot the doctor an email through the portal (I know from the lab results that he is very good about using the email system).

In any event, I'm still one step closer to a solution. I now have a diagnosis and it was proven by the relief from the injection.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom