Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to soak my feet in Burow’s solution (aluminum acetate 1%) or potassium permanganate solution (1:8000) for 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day. Both can be found on Amazon. I used to do it three-four times a day.

Thanks, Laura. My wife has tried many solutions, so I'm not sure if she tried these. I'll forward them on to her. We know it is not a Nickel allergy, she has been tested for that. She's also doing UV treatment, and chlorine (soaking her feet in our pool).
What treatment finally cured it for you? Or is it ever cured? Has it ever recurred? It's been going on for 4 years now with my wife...

Cheers,
Roger
 
I had this issue once when I was a teenager and I had UV treatment then. It helped a bit I think but I was only about 15 so I don't really remember other than it was awful. I got it again when I was about 45 once again on my feet and it was horrible. I also was tested for nickel and tested negative. I tried lots of things and finally tried domboro and started to feel a bit of relief. It also mysteriously went away after maybe a year and a half or so. Then five years later I got these weird water blisters on the backs of my hands. I even saw the head of determatology at UCSF and no one knew what it was! It drove me nuts. It also mysteriously went away but now I get water blisters on my arms and chest mostly and I've attributed this latest issue to gluten and dairy. You can be sensitive without showing up on the tests. I'm not sure if the pomphlox was related to these other blisters but it does seem strange. Now, my feet sometimes tingle and I know I need to keep them moisturized so they don't itch. Unfortunately I don't have any more information. I wish I did because I know it's maddening. I have a few blisters today in fact and they are deep and soooo itchy! The pomphlox on the feet though is the worst. Mine were HUGE blisters, OMG. I could barely walk, so my heart goes out to your wife. Pls keep me posted and let me know if the Domboro helps! Hugs!
 
So glad your wife got a diagnosis. Also that you had a soul-nurturing sail! We were just out on our 31 Ericson Independence for what was forecast as a beautiful weekend. We spend much of it in the fog! Makes it interesting when you're dodging lobster boats, lobster buoys and ferry boats!!

Hopefully time will be kind to the two of you, and your trips will all go well and everyone will be healthy.
 
Lauramacky
Thanks again, Laura. I believe she has tried the gluten free diet, and that didn't help. At least we know that the cortisone shots will help her, at least temporarily, so that is what she will have done before our trips.

Cheers,
Roger
 
maryo52
Ooooh, an Ericson 31. Nice boat! I remember a friend of ours in San Diego had an Ericson 35, and it was a very seaworthy boat. Yes, sailing in Maine in the summer can be challenging with the the fog and the lobster pots!
Lately, I've been catching up on some needed boat maintenance that I put off while recovering from TKR. Yesterday I polished all the stainless steel rails. Next weekend, I need to wash and wax the decks. Then I need to start thinking about new bottom paint and engine maintenance. You know how it is with boats :)
We have a MacGregor 26, which is kind of a hybrid sailboat/power boat. The 50 HP outboard motor is nice when you want to get somewhere fast in light air, or get away from a storm quickly. It is trailerable, but we keep it slipped in the water on SF Bay all year.

Cheers,
Roger
 
Lauramacky
Thanks again, Laura. I believe she has tried the gluten free diet, and that didn't help. At least we know that the cortisone shots will help her, at least temporarily, so that is what she will have done before our trips.

Cheers,
Roger

Yes, cortisone. I've had those in my feet too. I've often wondered if it's a viral thing. Anyway, prayers that she finds relief soon.
 
Hi Roger I was checking my email and saw your message just wanted to thankyou for all of the wonderful support and friendship it really helped me and also enjoyed reading your posts and writing to you thanks so much for your inspiration hope things just keep getting better and better and hope you and your wife have a wonderful cruise Holly
 
Hi Roger,

Thank you for stopping by on my thread and cheering me on! How are the business trips going? Is your wife doing better? I hope all is well with you.

Take Care! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Maria,
My wife's condition is up and down. Right now, she's in the "itchy" phase, which usually comes before a flare-up. In general, though, she's been better the last couple weeks. We're just hoping for the best on our vacation in Nov.

I've been fine. I've taken 2 short business trips so far, and no big problems. Just a little swelling at the end of the day. I've been using Voltaren gel on the knee morning & night, and it really helps with the inflammation. I had the Rx from pre-TKR, for my arthritis, but I'm going to ask my OS to write a new one.

Yesterday I took the boat up to SF to see the America's Cup sailing race, which is something I vowed I was going to do after recovering from the TKR! It was glorious! I was a little stiff after 6 hours at the helm of the boat, but it was well worth it!

Cheers,
Roger
 
Well done on fulfilling your America's Cup goal, Roger. I've been goal-setting to gauge my own recovery. Some have been aggressive, but we live and learn, right? Prayers for your wife's full recovery.
 
50yrold,
Good to hear from you!
Yes, I was wildly happy after seeing the America's Cup yesterday :) The knee held out fine, even with the boat rolling in the rough seas, which can be hard on the knees, since you have to shift your weight between legs and bend the knees slightly to balance.
Thanks for the best wishes and prayers for my wife.
How is your recovery going?

Roger
 
We sneaked peaks at the America Cup in-between the US Open finals. Wow! What a thrill it must've been to see it in person.
 
maryo52
Yes, it was awesome being on the water and so close to the action. Those America's Cup boats are amazing. They are so fast. They covered the almost 20 nautical mile course in 45 minutes! And the sails are huge. Their masts were much taller than even the largest sailboats nearby. There was quite a bit of spectator boat traffic, and a good 15 kt breeze blowing, so the bay was pretty choppy.
I made a little mistake. While I was taking a picture, I lost track of my position and my boat drifted inside the demarcation line. I was too close to the racecourse. A spotter boat promptly approached and instructed me to back off a bit!
I had a great time, and it was really nice to get out!

Cheers,
Roger
 
Emirates New Zealand crossing the finish line in America's Cup Race 3. As of today, Oracle USA still has a chance in the best of 17, but it doesn't look good.

[Bonesmart.org] Sailor's Recovery Thread
 
Oracle team USA wins 2 races today to bring the score to 8 - 5. New Zealand needs 1 to win, USA needs 4.

Go USA, beat the Kiwi's !!!!!!
Keep the America's Cup where it belongs !!!!!
 
Hi @Roger Your picture looks really nice must be amazing to see all of the sailing boats water is really pretty tried to post an entry in my area and put in yours by mistake hope it has fixed itself got mixed up but intended to write you as well. Just woke up hope you have a wonderful day and happy sailing. Holly
 
lavender,
Hi, Holly,
Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, it was wonderful to get out and see the America's Cup race. It was a long day, and very tiring, as San Francisco is a 3 hour boat trip by motor from where I live. Sailing would take even longer, maybe 5 hours or more, depending on the current. I'm looking forward to more sailing this winter, as we sail all year here and there are some beautiful winter days. This weekend I have to start doing some maintenance on the boat, it's always something! I'm really happy to be able to get out and use my knee without pain!

Take care,
Roger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom