THR Sagefemme's Recovery Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. I'll try to have faith and focus on the fact that it's healing and shows no signs of infection. It's not like my lower abdomen is a beautiful tableau in the first place, after two pregnancies......

I'll trade a pretty scar for a hip that works great and lasts a long, long time.
 
Chortle I wonder how many people checked to see where their incision was. Mine was and is lumpy but I think, aye I can think, that its just staple marks. Just keep an eye on it but I'm sure it will be OK.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @Sagefemme
I hope I ca do a post with my weak wireless in mountainous Wales. My scar was much bumpier than I expected partly the way it was sewn but later through wound infections. At first I did not care about the cosmetic look as all I wanted was to get rid of infections. Later I worried about the bumps and craters. At 12 weeks when the wound was very healed and settled I had deep tissue massage by someone I had had acupuncture with and after two sessions it was really improved so don,t worry too much at this early stage as no doubt it will heal itself considerably or you can assist it later on. My one alert is to Bio oil which made my wound worse. I presumed it was all natural but it is not and I had a reaction to it.

Hope all goes well mushy be hard looking at it with professional eyes as well as personal!
 
I'm at a year and no bumpiness but there is a definite divot where my scar is. From past surgeries I know it kind of levels out after some time. PT said she's going to work on it some more along with my fancy new scope holes. I used to be kind of proud of legs...whatever...I'm 47, don't need anyone admiring my legs nowadays :heehee:
 
Tomorrow is three weeks out from surgery. I seem to have turned a corner and suddenly walking short distances (in the house) with no support feels fine. My instructions were crutches or walker full time for at least two weeks, transition to one crutch or cane after two weeks if it doesn't cause an increase in pain (it didn't, so I've been using one crutch only for about 4 or 5 days), and can walk with no support when I can walk with no limp. Of course it's challenging for me to tell whether I'm limping since I don't know any other way to walk!

I have a physical therapist friend who did an evaluation of my gait on Friday. She said it looks very good when I'm concentrating and "trying" to walk evenly. If I walk faster or become preoccupied I go back to limping, although I really can't tell. So I'm at least twice a day going for a walk where I very consciously place my feet and try to stride evenly. My friend says it won't take too long until I do normal walking without having to think about it. This is very exciting!

I have also found I can walk quite a ways without any pain (with a single crutch). I've gone up to a mile and really nothing hurts. I am surprised to find that stairs, up and down, feel absolutely fine doing foot over foot (not leading always with the same foot). At the end of the day, especially if I've done lots of walking, I feel fatigue in the hip but no real pain. I have not taken any "scheduled" pain medication for more than a week (if I recall correctly) but have taken some at bedtime here and there when I have felt that tired soreness. I'm mostly sleeping pretty well. I gave my last Lovenox injection today. I think the compression stockings can go starting tomorrow (have to call my surgeon's office for that). I don't have any PT scheduled for another week. We'll see how that goes.

The whole thing so far has been surprisingly good. I worry a bit that something will cause a setback, but day after day things seem to be going fine. I was planning to be off work for 6 weeks but now I'm contemplating going back after 4 (one more week off). I would start with some half days, of course.

Ongoing thanks to everyone who reads and comments. I feel so lucky to have found this site and all of you experts and supporters. I love to read people's one year and two year anniversary posts when they say things like "I sometimes have to think about which hip was replaced." I hope I get to say that too.
 
Bellisimo, brilliant well done such a happy report your Cheshire grin shines through. You are so right its pain and lack of that dictates but you realise sleep needs a wee help. Keep it up lass some healing still to do and build that stamina.. The best line being slow walk no limp speed the limp raises its head, nae limp = big grin

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Sagefemme Hi, sounds like everything is right on schedule. Tomorrow is my 11th month post op. I just got back from river rafting the Rogue river. It was a white water trip that had my hips(bilateral) screaming, once i got up and stretched i was in good shape. Where are you in Oregon.
 
@Sagefemme

I'm glad you sound so well! Congratulations on walking with minimal supports. Sounds as though you're in the lucky spot of having friends (I'm guessing from work?) who can check your gait and give you tips. You'll be walking without a limp in no time!

How's your incision looking? I noticed that at three weeks, my incision started to look a little less Frankenstein. Don't get me wrong, it's still scabby and lumpy, but I can begin to imagine it looking all healed up.
 
@Legin thanks for the encouragement in your local tongue...... Haven't been in Scotland in a thousand years (well, 25 anyway) but maybe a new, strong hip means I'll travel and hike there again!

@Michegon I live in Eugene. I've rafted on the Rogue and hope to do other Oregon rivers someday. I feel blessed to live somewhere with such great outdoor recreation, and I mean to take advantage of it when I'm healed.

@julieJL my PT friend is not work related. I met her on a women's bike riding group. There are a surprising number of PTs who are cyclists-- I think they know that non-impact exercise is the way to go for the long haul. I have a question for you about hip dysplasia, which I guess is the reason for your hip issues. Is your other hip fine? Can you have one dysplastic hip and the other it's completely normal?. It's been suggested to me I have mild hip dysplasia (had no problems until around age 50) and I wonder if getting problems in the other hip is inevitable. If you know.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JulieJF sorry I tagged you wrong in my previous post.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
What 25, 000 years oh my, aye I was but a wee fledgling then. Now why would such a positive person as your self need encouragement, I just let ma thumbs run away with me. Also as for ma local tongue not sure what that is but wellndone, you on recovery

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I have a question for you about hip dysplasia, which I guess is the reason for your hip issues. Is your other hip fine? Can you have one dysplastic hip and the other it's completely normal?

When I was born, both of my hips were dislocated and my left was severely dysplastic. I was talking with my dad about this, as I had forgotten some of the details. I was put into a cast when I was five days old. For my right hip, closed reduction and casting was all that was needed, and on my current x-rays, my surgeon said that my right hip is a "good looking hip." Not so for the left, which went through open reduction then osteotomy by the time I was a year old, and never approached looking normal.

I don't know what the future holds in store for my right hip. I kind of assume (though I hope I'm wrong) that eventually the right hip will need to be replaced too, just because it, too, started off abnormal, but I don't have any indication of problems there at this point.

I think the answer to your question is yes, you can have one dysplastic hip and the other that's normal, though in my case both started off abnormal. Here's hoping for both of us that developing problems in the other hip isn't inevitable!
 
@JulieJF I too am hopeful about my right hip. It's never given me any trouble through all my skiing, hiking, ballet, backpacking, martial arts, etc, that I used to do (and will do again, I hope). However my sister had both hips done (resurfaced rather than replaced) at age 50. My dad had one replaced and really needed the other replaced, however by that time he had severe dementia and really couldn't undergo a big surgery. It makes me wonder if my kids, who are 19 and 21, need x-rays at some point to see if problems are coming their way. I suppose there would be nothing to do but wait and see what happens, anyway. No one has ever said anything to me about the shape or construction of my right hip and whether it's different from the left. Something to think about, I guess. Hope yours stays strong!!
 
@Sagefemme

It sounds as though you might have some family history, as I do, too.

My grandfather had crippling arthritis in both hips. However, hip replacement wasn't common when he would have benefited from it. When my son was born, they got "hip clicks" from him (I don't remember if it was only in his left or if it was in both hips). He's 19, too. The hip clicks resolved on their own when he was two or three days old, but I remember them telling me that he would have an increased likelihood of earlier onset arthritis later in his life.

For both of us and our children ... here's to long-lasting natural joints and great implants once we need them! :cheers:
 
Time for an update. Today is 6 weeks. Things seem to be going really well with my new left hip. I am walking all around the house, yard (doing some gardening) and short walks in the neighborhood with no crutch or cane and it feels fantastic. No pain at all. Can't remember the last time I took any pain medication. If I try to take really big strides, as my PT tells me to do, I have a little tightness in the front of the hip, so I'm trying to do some gentle hip flexor stretching. If I take a longer walk I take my cane and generally don't use it until after a mile or a mile and a half, at which point I feel a little tired and a tiny amount of discomfort. I have walked up to 3 1/2 miles (with cane) and felt fine except general tiredness at the end.

Sleeping is great, any position including on operated hip comfortably. When I get out of bed in the morning I am surprised every time that I walk straight to the bathroom like a normal person, no limp!! I'm grateful and amazed by this.

Going to PT now, twice weekly, and not sure how helpful it is. They move me around in different ways and have given me some pretty easy exercises to do. I do feel like walking is my most important rehab exercise. The most helpful thing the PT does is "soft tissue mobilization" around my incision. At the first appointment he asked at the very end to see the incision. He was silent for at least 5 seconds when I showed him, and finally said, well we have some work to do on that. He said all the divots along the sides are from fat entrapment and that the dissolvable staples tend to do that. Next visit he spent a long time pushing and pulling the incision around trying to get it to move better. It was pretty uncomfortable (burning sensation) but somehow also felt productive. As he worked there were two distinct snapping feelings when something that was tethered underneath let go. I must say it looks much better now and they continue to work on it each time.

I went back to work last week for two days, Thursday and Friday, and was there all day but with a light schedule. It seemed fine to be there. Didn't use my cane at all. I do think lying down for a bit at lunchtime, and maybe doing some of my PT, will help avoid stiffness.

All in all I can't think of anything to complain about. I find myself forgetting all about the fact that I have a new hip, which I think is a good thing. I have not seen the OS yet; he does not do any routine post op visits until 6 weeks and somehow I couldn't get in with him until next Tuesday which will be 7 weeks and 1 day. I imagine he will release me for any activities, but we'll see. I'm planning to get back on my bike tomorrow and start commuting to work if it feels fine. I like to get exercise and transport all in one. The weather here in Oregon has been glorious.

Thank all of you who have been so encouraging. All my fears and problems have been addressed in one way or another by you all and I am sure it contributes to the great recovery I've had so far. Will keep updating but probably less frequently as there is so little to say!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've just read all your thread @Sagefemme you had your hip done a little after mine, and you are way ahead of me, well done.
As for your scar, it was interesting to read that its not actually the surgeon who stitches you up. After my dressing came off, my thoughts were, I need to give this guy some embroidery lessons! Like you I was all lumpy and bumpy, but now everything is smooth, with just a small dip at the bottom of the scar.
 
Just found your recovery thread. Congrats on getting your active, pain free life back! It really is amazing isn't it? I ended up have in second done 7 months after my first. (Just 2 weeks ago) I am past the worst and don't regret a thing. Blessings to you!
 
UPDATE: I'm almost 6 months out now. At 5 months and a few days I went to Italy for two weeks. I'm happy to report I walked a TON every day with no pain, no problems at all. Up hills, down hills, on rough and uneven cobblestone streets, all good. Many of the towns/cities we visited had large historic centers with no cars allowed, so there were days I was on my feet, either walking or standing, for 8 or 10 hours. My lower back got a bit sore some days when I was super active. But the hip--it's like it never happened as far as walking is concerned.

I go to a pretty vigorous exercise class sometimes. In that setting I do still know I had major surgery 6 months ago. My balance is not good on the left side, and I'm not as strong. I think it's time I got serious about doing some squats and getting my left glutes and quads as strong as my right.

I still have a little irritated feeling when I lift my left leg for example getting into the car. I think there is still some psoas (or some other hip flexor muscle) tendonitis, or tendonosis, or whatever they call it these days. But it's pretty minor and I hope with time will continue to improve.

Hope all you other hippies are doing well!!
 
@Sagefemme Congratulations on your wonderful recovery I will be 6 weeks out from my second hip replacement on Monday so it is great to read such a positive post.Your holiday in Italy sounds great and I can imagine how thrilled you were to be able walk on those cobblestones for hours at a time without any problems.We did a Mediterranean cruise this summer but I didn't do well in either Spain or Italy due to the pain in my arthritic hip so I can't wait to be able to manage what you did.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom