THR Sagefemme's Recovery Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sagefemme, Miralax is supposed to be pretty gentle, as opposed to senna. But you have to be patient. The fizzy citrus beverage sounds like what I took as part of a colonoscopy prep....definitely not mild. In the mild but effective category, I get good results with a product called Smooth Move Tea....my grocery store carries it.

For the record though, many of us have this problem after surgery, thanks to all the drugs, and while it's uncomfortable while it lasts....it will resolve itself soon. Keep up with the prunes, add some oatmeal, and salads; get plenty of liquids, and let the miralax work its magic.

Sharon
 
Thank you Sharon, I had forgotten about smooth move tea. I used it sometime in the past (maybe when I was pregnant) and I remember it working. I'll give it a try.
 
The nurses at my hospital told me to try a teaspoon of oil. I have been lucky and not have that issue, but if I did I was going to try the oil.

Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stool softeners which can be taken daily for extended periods are much better for constipation than any stimulant or laxative like Senecot. The stool softeners along with prunes or prune juice should work.

Here is an article from our BoneSmart Library to give you more options:

Constipation and stool softeners


This is a frequent problem and hopefully it will resolve itself soon.
 
Today (Tuesday) is post op day 8. Things were going great until Sunday evening. I was getting worried about the lack of bowel action and took some milk of magnesia. It worked a little too well and I had several trips to the bathroom during the night. Annoying but not terrible. Yesterday not much happened in the bowel department and today a very small bowel movement. I think from here out I'll keep to prunes, high fiber foods, fluid intake, and maybe Miralax (like Sharon advised). I took the milk of magnesia Sunday because I had done ALL those things with no results.

I also over the last several days stopped taking Tramadol since I had essentially no pain, and switched to Tylenol 1000 mg three times a day on Sunday and twice yesterday. This seemed to be working brilliantly (no pain despite stopping Tramadol) but at the same time I started having stomach pain. This was high in my abdomen, just under my sternum. It kind of felt like heartburn only a little lower. It became pretty unpleasant and even more so when I got hungry. I think of Tylenol as being pretty benign but then my husband uncovered some information about Tylenol and heartburn. At the same time I'm taking aspirin 325 mg twice daily for anticoagulation. Have other people had issues with Tylenol and stomach pain/heartburn?

Today I have taken nothing, not even the aspirin, and my stomach feels 95% better. My appetite is not great (I get full really quickly, and foods I normally like seem unappealing). I also feel pretty wiped out and a little out of breath at times when I don't expect it. I noticed my resting pulse is about 80 and it's normally high 50s or low 60s. I wonder if I'm anemic? My hemoglobin dropped from 14 preop to 10 postop, which my OS said was fine. I might start taking an iron supplement except they tend to be constipating and I'm still not normal in that department. Any ideas? It's funny that I have so many complaints today given that the hip itself is great--no pain, no swelling, no bruising, I'm getting around easily, walks feel good, etc. It's just everything else........
 
By the way @JulieJF, I got a huge kick out of your post about the healing power of cat purring, and especially the specifics about different frequencies of cat's purrs. I knew Gigi was trying to heal me!!
 
Hon, you are a mere 8 days into what is most often a fairly long recovery. You're worrying too much about all this. Please don't take an iron (or any) supplements based on what you think you need. If you have a concern like this, talk with your surgeon. But I'm pretty sure he's going to tell you that you are fine.

You are healing. Your body has had major trauma. You cannot expect that your system will register "normal" numbers while your body is working to right itself after all this.

I also don't think it's the Tylenol that was bothering you, but it certainly could be the aspirin, which is an NSAID and they do have side effects of stomach upset. You should not be arbitrarily stopping this either, so if you want to quite the aspirin, call your surgeon's office to get something else. You do not want to risk a blood clot. If you do go back on the aspirin, be sure you are taking it with food (a couple of peanut butter crackers are all you need).

I don't know what site your hubby found regarding the use of acetaminophen and gastric problems, but please don't believe everything you see on the internet. There really are no studies that back up a claim like this.
 
My doc told me to NOT take an iron supplement. I was a little anemic before and and after my surgery. They told me to eat iron rich foods. I also take 2 baby aspirin a day so I don't get blood clots. My doc recommends 6 weeks of the aspirin. I will only be taking it for 4 weeks because I have another surgery to get thru. It's important to listen to your doc and definitely don't believe everything you read on the Internet. That can really mess you up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My discharge instructions were also not to take my regular vitamin supplements. I asked why, just because I always like to understand, and the nurse told me that some vitamins can reduce the effectiveness of blood thinners and the other medications I'm on.

I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about! We're healing. :) And it sounds as though you're doing really well!
 
Thank you, lovely hipsters, for the reassuring words of wisdom. You are all completely right, of course, and I just need to do what I'm told for now. I did not take aspirin this morning because I was so tired of my stomach hurting. My stomach has felt much better, nearly normal, today. I will take the aspirin with dinner and I imagine my stomach will be fine.
 
@Sagefemme

I'm also on the aspirin regimen as a blood thinner. To prevent stomach issues, my doctor also prescribed Pantoprazole to coat my stomach. I take it once per day, half an hour before breakfast and my first aspirin of the day. Perhaps you could ask about something like that to coat your stomach.
 
@JulieJF

That's a great idea. I may ask my doc for something like that. This really is a great and informative forum.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I thought that by getting "enteric coated" aspirin, and taking it with food, that everything would be ok. For years I have been taking handfuls of ibuprofen with never any stomach issues. I guess I'm just more sensitive to aspirin. I'll ask about a protective medicine like pantoprazole (which I think is Protonix, brand name).
 
@Sagefemme

I've also got the enteric coated aspirin. I didn't think anything about the stomach coating medicine because I've never had an issue with aspirin and generally think of my stomach as a cast iron kettle. Nothing really bothers my stomach. But I'm taking everything that I've been prescribed, and so far, so good!
 
Today is two weeks!! Hard to believe, time is going by quickly. Things are going well, I think. I called my surgeon's office about my stomach ache and asked for a prescription to help protect the stomach. His response (well, his assistant's) "we're sending a prescription for Lovenox to be used subcutaneously for the next 10 days." So now I'm doing injections. I don't really mind the injection, it just seems a bit like overkill, and expensive! Oh well. At least my stomach feels absolutely fine now.

My post op instructions are for using my "assistive device" in my case crutches, for a minimum of two weeks. I can tell you I'm not ready to put down the crutches or graduate to a cane. When I'm walking outside I try to put a minimum of weight on the crutches, and everything feels great, no pain. But take away that tiny amount of support and things don't feel ok at all. There is a really sore place (muscular, I think) at the front of my hip that does not feel good when I don't use the crutch. I guess this will take a while longer. I have no desire to "push through" this discomfort.

My only real concern at this point is my incision. A few days ago my curiosity about what is causing it to be SO lumpy under the steristrips got the best of me. I tend to surgical incisions, including being the person who sews them up at the conclusion of surgery, all the time at work, so I felt I could safely remove strips, inspect, and replace with new, sterile strips). Well, what I found under the steristrips was unpleasant. The edges of the wound are well knit together. There is no redness, exudate, warmth, or any of the signs of infection that would normally concern me. But I don't know what the person who closed (my surgeon's physician assistant, I believe) did to make things so lumpy!! It's really kind of awful, to tell the truth. I was stunned, and again, this is coming from someone who has spent many years watching surgical incisions heal. There are 5 separate places where skin from lateral to the incision was "caught," either by a stitch, or by the dissolvable staples, and pulled in toward the incision. So there are big gathers, or tethered spots, and both piled up places and voids (divots) everywhere they did this.

The entire incision is not this way. The distal end (toward my foot) looks absolutely fine. But the majority of it looks truly bad. I mean cosmetically, not healing-wise. If I ever closed an incision and it looked like this when I finished, I would hope someone in the OR (circulating nurse, anesthesiologist) would say to me "you need to fix that." I did have the physician I work with, who I assist at surgery, look at it. He tried to be optimistic, said he thought the "caught" places would release as the staples dissolved. This is hard for me to picture, but I'm trying to go with that for now.

I have a question for you other hipsters about the position of your incision, if you had a direct anterior approach. The upper end of my incision starts at, and is directly on top of, my hip bone where it sticks up if I am lying flat on my back. It seems like a challenging location to put the incision, right on top of a bony protuberance. The skin is thin and, having had a 9 1/2 pound baby once upon a time, stretchy as all get out. There is little or no subcutaneous fat in this area to cushion the incision. I don't know if this is why I have a distinct burning sensation sometimes as the incision slides over the bone right below it. The lower part of the incision (which looks fine) is on my upper thigh, a few inches below where my thigh meets my abdomen. The whole incision angles outward (laterally) from top to bottom about 45 degrees from vertical (straight up and down).

Anyone else have an incision that starts directly on top of the hip bone? If so is it healing ok? I guess I should tag some of you if I want replies.......@Library, @sunbunny , @JulieJF, @Legin, @Realhippy49, @buzzybee, @fearbox, moderators. Thanks everyone. I am not freaking out, I'm just disappointed that something that I truly know something about, was done so poorly on me. And, if it heals as lumpy as this I can't quite imagine how it will feel when I tighten my backpack waistbelt on top of this thing (it's exactly where a backpack rests most of its weight--on the hip bone).

Yikes!! Long scary post!!
 
I think you'll be surprised at how well the tissue smooths out in the coming months. I've not had a hip done to compare, but I can tell you both my knees were as bumpy as all getout! Like you, the first time I saw it, I was horrified and so no way it could heal correctly. But it did. And what was a wide and puckered incision melted into a fine line that is supple and never even noticed.

I like your approach to the "guide" you have. You're absolutely correct that you need to use the walking aids as long as you need them. The support is what enables you to relearn proper gait and gather strength in those tormented soft tissues. So stay with your philosophy! It's going to give you a great recovery on your own time schedule.
 
I also have a lumpy looking incision! Mine goes directly over the greater trochanter area. I was a little disappointed because my other hip scar is beautiful. A little white line! I am hoping Jamie is right and the skin smooths out over time.
 
@Sagefemme

My incision is posterior, and it, too, looks lumpy to me. Everyone has said that it looks good, that HSS produces good looking scars, and that it will smooth out. I'm trying to trust that.

How frustrating, though, to be in the zone of your work expertise. You know what you want it to look like immediately post-op!
 
@Sagefemme my incision was bumpy and lumpy too. But has smoothed out nicely. Give it some time and it should look better. I thought I had a scab but turned out to be a staple missed. I got that rascal out this weekend and other than that I am surprised how much better it looks. I did have a big knot at the end of my incision but it is getting better too. I am a little more than five weeks out posterior with a rather big incision. Don't rush the crutches or cane. Let your body dictate the process. I can walk with the cane and can take some steps without but walk much better with walker. The important thing is gaining a proper gait after limping for over a year. The best advice from this forum is to take time to heal and listen to your body. Hugs and good thoughts!
 
I have an incision that was opened up four times, for all the hip surgeries I've had. After THR, it was so lumpy and strange looking. I thought that scar would be like that forever. It did last a long time, but I think it's just because it was opened up so many times. It's practically invisible now though.

Well, last winter, my skin got so flaky and dry. I was rubbing lotion into my leg one evening and my fingers found this weird, slippery skin. It didn't hurt or anything, but it felt weird under my fingers. I couldn't quite see it, so I went into the bathroom to look at it in the mirror and... oh yeah! Surgical scar. I'd completely forgotten that it was there.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom