Spine Sacral Iliac Joint Fusion and Lumbar Fusion

I hope you can find a more competent doctor and office staff. So glad you are at least satisfied with the results of the surgery. Get that core strengthened now. :dancy: :swim::upright:

Hi folks, I started having a burning pain in my right hip - have been to 2 doctors one, neurosurgeon and one orthopedist specializing in hips. I was told that i had hamstring tendonitis. I am just wondering if these spinal surgeries have aggravated my leg muscles or hamstrings. I was doing PT but doctors told me to hold off until I find out what is going on. Has anyone had these surgeries experienced any complications like this.

Also, I was really surprised that this ortho doctor made comments (as well as his PA) that "I had so much metal in me". I am feeling really depressed today based upon that comment. Like somehow this is my fault. He mentioned that "I am too young for all of this metal". Any thoughts on this?

Sorry the medical staff was insensitive about all the surgeries you have had.

@Trailgirl It is possible that the spinal surgery did have an aggravating effect on your leg muscles and tendons. From what little I know of hamstring tendonitis it appears that sitting for long periods of time as well as frequent repetitive movements can cause or worsen this.

As for the negative ortho surgeon - I sure hope you can find a different/better surgeon! You do not need that kind of negativity and judgemental attitude!

@Trailgirl - we all respond so differently to surgeries. It could be that some nerves or tendons have been aggravated by the surgeries. My lumbar fusion was done with an anterior approach (for the allograft; "hardware" put in from the back). While my sciatica pain is no longer an issue (yay), a couple times a week I will experience the worst itch imaginable on the bottom of my right foot! Scratching does nothing. All this to say that there are so many nerve threads and connectors going through the facet joints and other structures in the lumbar and SI regions that could have been irritated by the cleaning and work they did there which is now triggering your pain response. I would ask about a cortisone injection to calm it down, rest on the PT (I suspect you were just released to begin it?), and see how your hip responds. It might also be worth asking your OS about the possibility of some minute bit of debris from the laminectomy having migrated to start this irritation. (Note - I have no medical training at all, but have spent lots of time discussing my options and researching before getting my fusions.)

And shame of that ortho for trying to shame you for what you have needed to have done.

@Trailgirl - we all respond so differently to surgeries. It could be that some nerves or tendons have been aggravated by the surgeries. My lumbar fusion was done with an anterior approach (for the allograft; "hardware" put in from the back). While my sciatica pain is no longer an issue (yay), a couple times a week I will experience the worst itch imaginable on the bottom of my right foot! Scratching does nothing. All this to say that there are so many nerve threads and connectors going through the facet joints and other structures in the lumbar and SI regions that could have been irritated by the cleaning and work they did there which is now triggering your pain response. I would ask about a cortisone injection to calm it down, rest on the PT (I suspect you were just released to begin it?), and see how your hip responds. It might also be worth asking your OS about the possibility of some minute bit of debris from the laminectomy having migrated to start this irritation. (Note - I have no medical training at all, but have spent lots of time discussing my options and researching before getting my fusions.)

And shame of that ortho for trying to shame you for what you have needed to have done.

oh my goodness thank you so much, yes the pain has accelerated since the surgery and PT therapy.. i have allergies to steroids so leiry of that.. I started the PT around a month ago and let off for a few weeks to see what was going on.. letting off helped some.. been doing ice and rest .. that seems to help the most.. but I am not accomplishing anything and feel frustrated

Well, perhaps it is best to forgive yourself for not accomplishing "much" and allow your body the additional time it appears to need to heal. My OS prohibited any PT for 6 months after each fusion ... but I showed him and once I started, was able to hike 110 km of the end of the Camino de Santiago in Spain each time at @ 8 months post-fusion! You'll get there!

I am starting to think that the PT may have triggered this worse.. i think it was already there since my right hip was compensating for things .. possibly.. but PT was stretching that leg and telling me they were "flossing" the nerve

:rotfl::heehee::thankyou: I think I totally agree with that @NightQuilter .. It is interesting that you say they didn't want PT after your fusions for 6 months yet these doctors are recommending it. I really feel in some ways that it is making matters worse. Rest seems to be the only thing that is helping me with this new burning pain.. Walking doesn't seem like is contributing in a negative way but flossing nerves just may have.

I would never try to second guess your docs Trailgirl - I only have my own experience on which to rely. But then your docs had no supervision over what your PT thought was best. As I learned here on BoneSmart, not all PTs are trained alike. Most are focused on rehabbing sports injuries - not surgical repairs and consequently are not focused on the healing that must occur in bones, tendons, muscles, etc. Not quite the same as rehabbing a sprained ankle. I can only suggest you take some time off to allow the flossing to calm down, and then look for a new PT center, interviewing carefully for those who are properly trained for surgical - and especially spinal - recoveries. Good luck. We'll be here with you on your journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts