MUA Ruby's Tuesday--July 11th, 2017<

Never mind. I had to cancel the massage, because I was in the emergency room trying to get my finger saved. I should not have been trimming bushes with the electric hedge trimmer, but I was. Just as I was ready to call it quits, the trimmer caught my ring finger on my left hand. I instantly felt a searing pain, and saw a lot of blood! My son is my witness that I ran, not walked or limped to the kitchen, where I pulled open a drawer where I keep clean tea towels. I grabbed the first one and wrapped it around my hand, while telling my son to call 9-1-1. The tea towel was quite soaked with my blood by the time the paramedics came, but they said I had the bleeding under control. I was lucky that my finger was spared, and the cuts sliced into the fleshy part of my finger tip, but it also cleanly cut off my finger nail about 1/3 of the way down my nail bed. Because of that, I couldn't get stitches if my nail would be expected to grow back properly, so they did skin glue and a bandage. Not the way I wanted to spend my Saturday.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yikes!!!:yikes: Glad you kept your finger - what a scare. So glad your son was there to call 911. Take care of the wound so that you don't get an infection.
 
Oh no, Ruby! What a fright for you and your son!
I'm glad they were able to save your finger. Look after it now - rest and elevation would be in order for that as well. :friends:
 
You poor thing. What a nightmare thing to happen. Hope your son does all the hedge trimming in future!
 
OH NO!! So sorry but glad your finger was saved. Take care.
 
Ouch! So sorry you went through this. I'm glad your finger was saved. Heal well!
 
You poor thing. What a nightmare thing to happen. Hope your son does all the hedge trimming in future!

He's more than a klutz than I am, I would be terrified to let him use it.

LTKR scheduled on July 11th, 2017 [emoji51]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, Ruby! Can anything else happen to you? I'm glad you escaped with your finger intact!

But it sounds like your knee functioned well in this emergency.
 
I'm glad that it wasn't worse.

This is a cautionary tale, take rings off when doing manual labor. I nearly degloved my ring finger once. The ring had to be cut off and it was stitched back together, although I did see white bones and tendons in there. Another thing is to remove rings when doing electrical work so you do not find out how good a conductor and how hot a ring can get.
 
Yikes! I'm so glad to hear your finger was saved; phew!

I found massage very helpful but realize it isn't for everyone. If you do go, just make sure it's very gentle so you don't *pay* a few hours later. You've *paid* enough!
 
Oh, no, Ruby! Just reading about your finger accident made me feel faint. Good news that you could run! Perhaps the finger nail protected your finger somewhat. Thank goodness for surgical glue, too. It sounds as though they've done everything they can to make having a healthy, normal fingernail possible.
 
Hi everyone, I do try to keep up on everyone's posts, even though I don't post everyday. I've been doing fairly well since my MUA. After the initial days afterwards,when I was able to get to 105 degrees of ROM, I seem to have settled at around 90 degrees. It doesn't matter what I do. I'm not back at work yet, but I did go in for about an hour yesterday. I don't know if I picked something up from one if the kids who came to hug me, or if it was the PT session I had before I went in, but I've been nauseous all day and my knee hurts bad again. Is it normal to be doing well and then to start feeling bad again?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Is it normal to be doing well and then to start feeling bad again?
Yes, if you do too much, or if you pic up a big from anyone. Treat yourself to a couple of days of rest and see how you feel after that.
 
Yes, I probably have been doing too much. That's my problem, I start feeling better, so I get up and start doing projects in and around the house that have been left undone while I've been laid up. Then I get a setback. It's difficult for me to sit with my leg elevated and on ice, when I see that the cat box needs to be changed, or the dishwasher needs to be emptied, or the pantry needs to be reorganized, or bushes need to be trimmed, or ... I need to learn how to slow down. I also need to build up stamina, when I go back to work, I will be on my feet a lot, so I think, short, daily walks that increase in length gradually might be a good idea.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're right--pacing yourself and doing a gradual increase in length of walks, etc. is the way to go. Not only are you only about 3 months out from the surgery, but you also had an MUA.
Most of us are amazed, even after being told to expect it, that even after 4-5 months you're not 100%. But it will come, slowly but surely.
 
From one who can't sit still to another like soul.....it is the hardest part of this recovery BUT it is also the one thing that makes a HUGE difference! So, my Energizer Bunny friend, find something to do with your hands and/or mind and let that knee heal! Everything else can wait. Trust me. Been there 2 yrs ago and back again!
 
How are you feeling now? How's that finger? What a terrifying thing to happen!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom