Guest viewing is limited

RTKR scheduled for Nov. 25th. Counting down the seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to stay healthy and rested and hydrated with my RTKR creeping up! Also trying to stay calm and eliminate stress as much as I can. I think I'm pretty prepared. I watched another TKR on YouTube tonight. Gross but cool. How's everybody else feeling?


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart Forum
 
Not watching anymore YouTube for sure!! Haha!! Scrambling to get work done so I can have part or all of Wed off. Making last minute arrangements for the little one. Aligning schedules with the older kids for help.
Going shopping tomorrow for yogas, sweats, an electric blanket, new candles and whatever else grabs me because, well I'm not going anywhere fun for awhile.


LTKR November 20, 2014
RTKR sometime in 2015
 
@Shellbell I've been getting my bag ready to go, then changing my mind, wondering if I'm taking too much/not enough. Today is my pre-op GP appointment (labs already done) and then picking up my Hibiclens. Also a few last minute shopping things to stock up on and getting the last groceries needed before surgery to get the remainder of frozen/easy on husband :friends: , ready to pop into the oven dinners.

I'm also going to take off my wedding ring a few days before to get used to the feeling (hospital paperwork says to leave it at home) - so I don't get that, oh my gosh where's my ring panic feeling, :scare: when I half out of it from the pain drugs.
 
Haha. Yeah my husband says I'm crazy for watching the YouTube videos but it somehow gives me peace. I hear ya about getting last minute fun stuff and shopping done. I'm pretty set, I think, other than food, with supplies. I didn't realize it but you're about my age. I was definitely the youngest at my joint replacement class. They kept asking me if I was sure I was in the right place. It made me laugh. How old are your kids? How do they feel about your surgery?


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart Forum
 
Also trying to stay calm and eliminate stress as much as I can. I
Stay busy! Get stuff done and, if you think about it, focus on how great you will feel after you are fully recovered.

Yeah my husband says I'm crazy for watching the YouTube videos but it somehow gives me peace.
I agree with your husband. I knew what was gong to happen---my OS showed me on a model of the knee, but I could not watch a video of it until I was well out of the OR and on my way to being fully recovered.:snork:
 
@Shellbell like you I'm getting a bit apprehensive. Lots to do this week too so getting my head round it all is nuts! Coffee morning, evenings out with friends, last minute shopping, blood test again,packing hair cut ... The list goes on but next week we will be doing .... Errr not much! It will be such a shock to have to sit around and just ,well, recover. I've watched an animation of the surgery but nothing too realistic. I would like to be awake in the OR next week so going to ask for very light sedation. Not sure how that will go down with the surgeon. Good luck with your prep. Only 8 more sleeps!
 
I got a haircut/color and my eyebrows waxed Saturday. It's a bummer I can't shave. But seriously I ALWAYS cut myself when I do so it's smart not to. I've started using antibacterial soap on my body and using moisturizer religiously. I've already packed my hospital bag and I literally have like 6 lists of to do's. Last week went by so fast. I hope this week does, too. I'll have a couple more UPS deliveries this week and supposedly I'm supposed to hear from someone to set up my CPM machine this week. I hate that I don't have a surgery time, yet. They supposedly call me the day before to tell me. I'm from the U.S. It seems like there are lots of people from other countries, too. It sounds like things are handled a little differently. Is it ok to ask where people are from?


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a time to arrive at hospital 12.00 on Tuesday so presume surgery will be about 3pm. Here they count your first day after surgery as day 1 if you have surgery in the afternoon. I expect to be in for between 3-5 days so hope to be out for the weekend. I have to go back to the hospital this Thursday for a second blood test in case I need a transfusion. I haven't packed anything but have to take day clothes from the second day onwards so will get onto getting those ready soon. I don't have a special shower wash to use. Just an instruction to have a shower and wear clean , freshly laundered clothes to hospital. We seem to be more casual here in the UK. :unsure:
 
I'm from the US as well and won't know my surgery time until a day or two before surgery.

Good news. Just got back from my pre-op Gp appointment. I'm cleared for surgery.

I will need to use the Hibiclens on the surgery area the night before surgery, and if there is time or enough left, I am to do it again in the morning before I go in.

Shopping is done except for groceries on Thursday and my exercise bike was just delivered by Fed-ex.

I pretty much all done expect for the groceries and one last os appointment later this week and last lab blood work for type and screen. The groceries will be a snap as I order them from our local grocery store on line and then they are waiting for us to pick up curbside at the store. No need to even get out of the car. -- now if only they would follow us home and bring them in and put them away in the cupboards.... :heehee:
 
That's awesome! It feels good to have that pre-op appt over with. I was given these special wipes that I will use the night before surgery to clean my entire body after my evening shower and then I'll use them again at the the hospital. Ordering groceries online?? Awesome!!


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart Forum
 
It is interesting to read of the different protocols used by the OS's---Hibiclens, etc---I just had to shower with an anti-bacterial soap---they swabbed both knees down in the pre-op area.

The OS came in and asked me which knee was the worst---so if they only did one, they would do that one first---he had me put my initials on the leg so there would be no mistake.

Both were done---and that was the beginning!
 
I won't know until after 5:00pm on Wed night!! I'm hoping I have to go early and get it over. I'd hate to think I have to sit around all day.

I started packing and have a shirt to do list. I did about 4 aisles in a Target and my knees are screaming. Ugh.

My kids are 22, 19, 16 stepdaughter and a 5 year old. Yes I'm insane.

I got asked some odd questions in my pre-op class. Lol!!


LTKR November 20, 2014
RTKR sometime in 2015
 
My kids are 21, 19, and 13 and my step kids 20, 17 and 15. My oldest two are in college and live on campus and my husbands oldest lives on his own and his 15 year old lives with her mom. So, my 13 year old son and my step daughter, 17, live at home. They'll be a huge help.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm from the US as well and won't know my surgery time until a day or two before surgery.

I won't know until after 5:00pm on Wed night!! I'm hoping I have to go early and get it over. I'd hate to think I have to sit around all day.
Here is to hoping that you get in the early and there is no waiting! Hope you are all 1st on the list---no waiting and you get to begin your new life a little bit sooner!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, to be truthful---while I am preaching patience now to folks on the recovery side---I still hate waiting. I was lucky that was, on the day of my BTKR, the first in line. I hope that you all get your ticket punched the first thing in the morning.
 
Thanks:) I hate waiting, too. It's crazy though, how time flies. I'd love to be first in line but whatever works. Just wanna get it done.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart Forum
 
I got my time yesterday! 9:15. Hoping to be in surgery by 11:25-11:30. Our older kids are great. Usual kid grumbles, but for the most part, no complaints from me.


LTKR November 20, 2014
RTKR sometime in 2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom