RTKR May 06, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@greeneyedtattedgirl, go to the white bar at the top of the page and hover your mouse over "Help & Info" and from the drop down menu click on "How to Use This Forum". It will take you to a thread with many articles about how to navigate the forum.
 
Things I found most useful in hospital/rehab: hairbrush, lip balm, hand & face lotion, scented hand sanitizer, face wipes, larger wipes for cleaning body, waterless shampoo caps, shorts, loose tee shirts, comfy stretch bra, crocs, stretchy gowns, case for glasses. I also brought my own supply of pain meds just in case (came in handy when I had trouble getting them on time), gas and heartburn meds, etc. I had no interest in makeup, just wanted to be comfortable and able to clean up a little bit without help. Couldn't read or listen to music without falling asleep so no need for those.
At home - lots of pillows, power recliner, wrap-around ice packs. I never used leg lifter and didn't need grabber after I got home or any other dressing aid as I was able to bend and pick things up and get my socks and pants & all on without much trouble. Could NOT have managed without the toilet riser and shower seat. After second week, didn't need walker, using cane. I also had some small steps that I had purchased and was using before surgery (about 3-4 inches) to help get into/out of large step into house. Those came in handy. I have a very high bed and I'm still using one of the steps to help me get into bed. Don't be tempted by those stick-on grab bars for shower - mine fell off the first time I tried to use it. I manage by hanging on to towel bar and then using cane to help me get out of the shower.

Any other questions?
 
Now I find myself having panic attacks.
This is all perfectly normal---many of us had these---it involves all of us thinking too much.

Concentrate on what yo will be able to do after surgery---I will tell you this---that, after recovery, you will be amazed at how great you feel and what you can do without pain!

I have packed mostly shorts despite it still being quite cold here.
I would wear long, baggy sweat pants after surgery. You knee will be a bit swollen, and the sweat pants are very comfortable and allow you to sleep. eat, and go to PT or OT.

Please take a look at those articles---they are excellent and contain tremendously useful information about all fo the aspect os the TKR.

still have anxious thoughts about the nerve block and spinal and about pain management.
I had a spinal. The anesthesiologist said, "You are going to feel a little drowsy now.."

The next thing I know, I am being wheeled to recovery!
 
@Josephine good morning, I am using the phone app and you mentioned you moved my posts to my own thread, can you please tell me how to find it. Im nervous I will post in the wrong place.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
Good luck - you are almost there! We are here for you when you are ready!!
 
Getting ready to head out to pre-op training. Eldest Daughter is going with me. Getting harder to think about anything other than tomorrow. Having lunch with 2 of 3 daughters at my favourite Thai restaurant. Wishing everyone a happy day.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
@greeneyedtattedgirl Good luck tomorrow ! You'll do great. I had my first TKR last July with the femoral block and a spinal. Both procedures were relatively pain free, just a little "poke". The beauty of these are that you wake up from the surgery with NO pain or nausea as you might if you were put under with full anaesthetic. I was totally awake, aware and chatting with the recovery room nurses almost immediately.
I brought way too many things with me to the hospital as I wore the hospital gown the first 2 days and then changed into shorts and a Tshirt after my shower on the 3rd day. I would definitely recommend the chapstick. I brought books thinking I would have all this time to read them, but ended up sleeping most of the time. One book or an Ereader would be fine. My hospital in Toronto had free wifi so I was able to communicate with friends and family on my Iphone once I was back in my room.
I brought 2 canes with me to the hospital. The nurses showed me how to use the cane to lift my operated leg on and off the bed, so there was no need for a leg lifter.
I'm getting ready for my second TKR on May 21st and can't wait to be able to finally be active again!!
Hope this helps!
 
Good luck tomorrow. God bless you.
The nerve blocks are wonderful.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Josephine good morning, I am using the phone app and you mentioned you moved my posts to my own thread, can you please tell me how to find it. Im nervous I will post in the wrong place.

If you haven't had a chance, you might take a look at our BoneSmart "How To" forum that give a ton of tips on how to use the forum and have a better experience when you're online. You can always access this information by mouse hovering over the Help & Information tab at the top of the page and then selecting the How To Use This Forum link from the drop-down menu. Good luck!!!!
 
By the way is there anybody from GB or Ireland on this forum?? It's just that things are a little different over here you do not get to choose your surgeon if you are a medical card patient, One is just delighted to get to see one and it has taken a year just to do that, then the op date was 3 months later. I was pretty bad when my GP wrote the letter, really lame now!!
Hi Caro, I'm in Dublin, and just undergone a bone scan on my left Knee replacement due to ongoing problems, was in Theatre last Tuesday for an aspiration to rule out infection, looks like a revision is going to be booked for end of June/early July.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes for tomorrow and see you on the Recovery side with a shiny new knee!
 
Thank you @keeper and @VancouverUSAgal I am trying hard to keep busy tonight, I have a terrible migraine at the moment due to stress and anxiety hoping it doesn't reach 10\10 as Im limited to meds. I will be walking out the door in 8 hrs towards a new life with new possibilities. I will concentrate on that!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
Welcome and sounds like you are really to go as you and to begin to share with us how you are doing in the other side of your recovery. You will find that information, support and help will be here for you every step if the way. Again, welcome aboard.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom