THR Round Two of as the Hip Turns

hi , i had a back fusion in 08 extreme constant pain when i started with the headaches they switched to a automated pump with i think morphine and that worked to get me thru rehab.looking at your profile pain is no stranger to you . were you very athletic or did work get you
at this point i hope they will just take a good look at the knee give it a shot or scope it and get me moving on . i think the hip is fine i have little discomfort in it for something that just got replaced .i removed the dressing today as directed the scar looks good no red or anything .
i used to love going up to laconia for bike week every june .i would take a slow return thru nh, vermont, and upstate ny . beautiful state .
 
Today i have to increase my walk to 500 ft 3 times a day .Just completed my first round to find I lost my endurance again .I found myself to tire easily for a few months last time also . This is the first time I felt like I wore out easy after this thr . I will add protein drinks to my diet this weekend as I hope for permission to return to the gym for upper body w/o when I get the staples removed wednesday .Some cramping in Quad and of course my right knee has pain again . No Narcotics for pain now just Tylenol.
 
@seamoose Saw you mentioned Laconia Bike Week--what do you ride? My husband rides--he currently has a Sportster 1200C and a Honda F6b, limited by the size of our garage. We both need new hips so we can do the longer rides again! Take care!

:hog:
 
was out to cape may walking today did 6 blocks slow plus my two 500 footers moving along .

Im presently bike less .ive had a bit of everything in the world but the last 15 years been harleys 92 daytona dyna 91 chopped fat boy 99 flht 99 fat boy 02flht The last one 05 flhti sold to do bilateral hips in 2013 but only did the left .bought 86 corvette recovering from left hip restored it sold and bought 66 mustang sold without finishing now 1987 jeep yj i have just about completely restored that will be sold for a older shovel head flh if i get strong this fall or whenever my legs can hold one again .the cars are neat but if i can only have one toy it has to be a bike
The other half has begged me to stay off the bikes since ive been hit a few times in the past and with all these replacement parts a crash will be bad. But I love riding .i went a year and a half in my 30s with just a xs1100 no car thru 2 winters 125,000 miles on that beast in 7 years . I put a lot of miles on them .
Anyway i haven't been Mr conservative since i was a kid so i will ride again i do every thing I can to be safe til i cant climb on then ill sit on the porch .same as my work as long as i can unless the lottery ticket comes then ill play till the sunset and play the Traveling Willburys to the end of the line
 
Hello neighbor! I am in South Jersey. My husband used to ride but hasn't in many years.
 
Hi, Im in the heart of the pines Sweetwater Near Hammonton NJ
 
i m the critical systems mechanic at he aquarium in camden . We go up to Wegmans and also the CH mall about 25 /30 min from us Did you do your thr in philly or in CH .The other half works in mount holly your neck of the woods
 
I know Virtua Memorial Hospital in Mt. Holly, that's about it. I had my surgery in Bensalem (Rothman Institute). It's a 24 bed facility, only surgeries that need overnight stays are done there. In and out in 27 hours.
 
Yes they did both mine also but at pomona hospital . They have offices in cherry hill but i guess not a hospital
They have gotten very big.
So how is your recovery going almost 2 months for you now
 
I have "spoken" to another person (another board) that is having hip replacement at Pomona tomorrow...Rothman. I go to the office in Marlton and they have an orthopedic urgent care, which we have used. Rothman does do surgeries in the Virtua hospitals, not sure why the OS chose Bensalem for me. However, no complaints, it was great.

I see you have gone through this several years ago, so a "pro" your 2nd time. My recovery has actually been quite smooth. I was quite stunned to how well this has been. I didn't need narcotics after the 1st day post op and no pain at all in operated leg. Just the soreness in thigh in the beginning that Tylenol took care of. I will be going back to work in about 3 weeks. I do have chronic back issues and will have that looked at once I get through this a bit more. My right knee is bothering me (non operated leg) but I think it is more from hobbling around for so long. I waited entirely too long to have the replacement. Hope you continue to do well and you are back out riding again soon. My dad is 81 and is avid bicycle rider...he's done cancer rides and the MS150.
 
@seamoose.
Good luck with your continued improvement.
I rode my motorbike a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 18 months ( 1yr post op ). You will do it just don't rush that one. I tried a couple of times beforehand but flexibility and confidence stopped me. Riding is easy but the getting on and off and holding the bike stationery requires flexibility and leg strength.
It certainly felt good though.
Keep Well.
Joe.......
 
hey nivea, , hope you stop back . sounds like your doing great . i had my share of knee trouble last time . if it gets worse you need to get someone to pay attention to it . one thing i didnt like is they tend to blow you off about the knee pain . a lot of great info here about others with same that will help . im being optimistic with mine as its relieved by rest this time i had a few nights of knee pain with this hip .the last hip i pushed the knee as they said nothing wrong ,turned out i had damage inside took two yrs to straighten out cause i kept tearing it . if your body is telling you something is amiss dont let them say its not. good luck to you
 
Seamoose, I hear you. I will keep an eye on my knee and if I need to, I will call my OS. He is a hip/knee guy and I will insist it be looked at. That's exactly what I don't want to happen, damage that I may do. I have read on one of the threads here, everything is connected to each other. Now, it seems like a no brainer but you don't think that hips/knees and even back are so connected that when you hurt and compensate, you can damage other things.

My mom, 20 years ago or so, went to an OS for pain in her knee. An X-ray showed OA, so he wanted to do a knee replacement. For some reason, my dad just wasn't thrilled with this doctor and had her go for a 2nd opinion. She went to someone else and watched her walk. He said it wasn't her knee, it was her hip. He took an X-ray of her hip and sure enough, her hip was horrible....bone on bone. After her hip was replaced her knee pain got so much better.

My OS said my right hip was arthritic but not too bad and may never need a replacement. We shall see, I guess. I know my left knee has arthritis and did have a shot 3 years ago...fine since.

Now my back on the other hand....oh my. Between arthritis, degenerative disc disease, bulging discs and stenosis, it is awful. I do plan on following up with a spine doctor at Rothman. My back has been a chronic issue and got very bad when my hip got bad. It is better but I want it looked at again, as I haven't had it looked at for quite sometime. That OS has retired and I don't know where my records are.

Thanks for your advice and hope you are doing well. This is gorgeous weather and am sure you are really itchy to be riding :)
 
here we are 17 days out anterior aproach right thr , walked my first slow mile yesterday, knee kicked up a little but was good this morn . went to the doc and removed the staples. been doing 500 feet x 3 a day . it was nice out and since i have nothing else to do but ice i kept going on my midday walk . felt good
so things have changed since my left hip in 2013 when a pt was sent to my house 3 days out and two weeks out i went to a pt place for a hour every other day . now my orders are to just take slow , do what feels good and let things come naturally more or less kind of listen to my body . i got permission to return to the gym but not allowed to load up the hip with any more than 15 lbs . and no leg work at all just walking for the legs till 6 week out visit .
studies showed injuries caused by forcibly stretching and pushing too far by pt . something they have been saying here since i had the last hip . so i can fool around with my tools out in the shop , go to the gym and pickup little weights maybe ill pickup a fishing pole also . as long as i take it slow . now i can burn up some energy and get a more consistent sleep too . i have some of the strange pains here and there ,my knee complains if i do too much but not like last time . so all is good . i sure there some bumps ahead but they seem to have slowed the push to rehab too fast now
 
Glad to hear things are going well for you. Yes, the weather is awesome and getting out feels so good. It also helps my mind and soul to have nice spring weather. I was quite surprised to not have PT, or restrictions at all. I asked about dental work and my OS said no longer do you need an antibiotic prior to any dental work. It does trick your mind in a way....Hospital 27 hours, no restrictions, no PT and you forget the trauma to your body. It's a slow process, yet in the scheme of things, it isn't bad...slow and steady.
 
Hi , im glad you mentioned that ,the same people did my left and i m supposed to take antibiotics for life . ill have to ask ong if i can stop that too when i see him

thanks
 
Hi Guys ,4 weeks since anterior right hip today so here is my update. This one has been a lot easier than the left was. This time there has been no extensive leg pt involved maybe that is why its easier , Im certainly no younger or in as good shape as three years ago ??
Same operation same replacement parts same ortho firm different Doc. PT instructions this time were given via a web site I log into each day.

Started with ankle pumps daily to prevent blood clots along with walking instructions 250 feet then 500 feet then 1000 feet 3 X a day minimum distance was increased weekly. Kind of do what you can stand. Had stitches removed around 16 days out and my instructions were to continue the walking as directed and was allowed to go to the gym but no more than 10 lbs weight while standing on replaced hip. Do what I like unless it hurts, no lifting weight while standing. I only do exercises that are for upper body while trying to protect the hip from any stress per doc's instructions. I hope to return to work by 3rd week in June. I have a physical job so I need to keep as fit as possible also I get bored with sitting around waiting to heal also don't want to put on any unnecessary weight. So I had asked the doc for permission to go to the gym. This isn't part of their rehab program.

Today 4 weeks from surgery I have been doing at least two 1 mile walks a day with one of my furry children and at something near the 1000 feet doing stuff around the house going to the store or sightseeing with the wife.

I spend 1.5 hrs. in the gym 5 days a week. I do the daily cooking (the wife doesn't cook). I run the vacuum and fool around the house doing little odds and ends done a few little things on my jeep restoration. Can do anything as long as I don't place any pressure or strain on the new hip and it doesn't hurt per Doc. I have to continue taking aspirin 2X a day for blood clots but have taken no pain killers for about 10 days now.

I list my pain as a 1 or 2.... generally just discomfort I can get sore in the hip joint area my knee will bother me by the end of the day. I try to ice and elevate thru out the day and when I finish my walks so I don't get any swelling. If I was to press on my IT band anywhere from mid thigh to my knee it will hurt feel like a bad bruise would feel . I still will get the random sharp pains here and there when resting . But considering what as been done to my body its been a walk in the park compared to the last one. SO FAR !!!!
Sleep can be difficult most likely because I'm used to being exhausted from work and now I'm quite rested. I still go up steps using my strong leg as I haven't told I'm able to go up normally without causing damage. I'm going to leave a message with the doc to see if I can start to try going up an down steps normally now or have to wait for them to do xray next month. I have to constantly go up and down ladders when I return to work. Last hip took at least a year plus to regain my strength for that My next Doc appointment is not untill 5/11 .
So doing well , good luck to all, Frank
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@seamoose What a great update! So glad you are having an easier time with this THR. Great that you are listening to that hip and not pushing it. Well done!
 
Well done @seamoose! Sounds like you are recovering really quickly but being sensible about it too.
Best wishes for continued healing,
Diane
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom