TKR Round Two: Bring It On!

Hi Mumu - I have just read your whole thread and I am so encouraged! I will be seeing my surgeon on 25 April because I need a new right knee. This is the surgeon who replaced my right hip in January 2014. I had a textbook recovery for that - no problems at all, and it is now like I never had surgery at all. I know that knees are harder to recover from than hips, but I must say that reading your experience brought mine back like crazy! I am hoping that I will have a good experience again. Thanks for your thread.

Wow what an amazing recovery. I tend to agree with the other comments. Your knee is bone on bone and you can’t go back from that. As you have an optimum date I think you should go for it. It’s better than if you should suddenly begin having pain during the school year x. Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I'm in the same situation mumu! My right knee does not hurt as much as the left one did, even though the surgeon said it looked worse. It does not cause discomfort all the time but it does when I hike or bike - and sometimes when I am using stairs. I feel like I could probably go longer but late July is optimal for my schedule and the leg is definitely more crooked and has worse extension and I don't want it to mess up my gait - or hips. I've been questioning my decision -- but the reality is that I'll need it eventually so might as well do it when it works for me in terms of recovery. I expect you'll be glad to have it over and be well on your way to recovery before the next school year starts. Go for it . . . and by this time next year you'll be ready for an active, pain-free summer!

OK! I am 10 days away from the last day of school and knee replacement #2. I am almost through pre-op appointments, everything is set to go. And of course, NOW I HAVE NO PAIN IN MY KNEE, even though the X-rays show that there is no cartilage left, there are bone spurs, and I am developing a noticeable valgus. I mostly feel stiff, but not crippled. (This time last year I was in agony.) I hope I am not jumping the surgery gun...this has been weighing heavily on my mind!

OK! I am 10 days away from the last day of school and knee replacement #2. I am almost through pre-op appointments, everything is set to go. And of course, NOW I HAVE NO PAIN IN MY KNEE, even though the X-rays show that there is no cartilage left, there are bone spurs, and I am developing a noticeable valgus. I mostly feel stiff, but not crippled. (This time last year I was in agony.) I hope I am not jumping the surgery gun...this has been weighing heavily on my mind!
I went through the same questionning. Then someone very wise asked me what I would have to gain by delaying? what will you gain by doing it now?

I hope I am not jumping the surgery gun...this has been weighing heavily on my mind!
It's pretty obvious from the state of your knee that you are not jumping the gun. You need that knee replacement.

I also wondered the same thing with my last TKR. As soon as I scheduled the surgery the knee stopped hurting. However, I went ahead with the surgery and my surgeon said the knee was truly ready.

Those knees can be a bit sneaky. I bet if you cancelled the surgery it would immediately start hurting again!

I am due to go for my second operation in four weeks. The first one has done very well and I am very lucky. This week has not been the best not taking any mess leading up to second op. HAd Right knee done and like you my Left is. It causing me any problem and it is bowed no swelling. I found out I am second on the list so will be operated about 10 in the morning. Remember this is a journey and we are not sprinting...we need to be patient to get the best results. Good luck

Eeeek! My OS just told me he now prefers propofol only, not in combination with an epidural (I had both last year) Anybody here have propofol-only anesthesia?

Also, no staples or catheters this time!

Plus I am pre-absolved from formal outpatient PT as he now thinks ADL is plenty of rehab.

Hi, no info to offer on the propofol only, just dropping in to say good luck.

I had LPKR on 5/10....but needed it last October. I struggled for 7 months in order to arrive at the optimum time to balance work and recovery. Good luck (and hopefully another voice will weigh in here on your anesthesia question).

Hedgehog

Only had propofol for colonoscopies. Woke up with no nausea or foggy brain.

I'm going to tag @Josephine for your propofol only as a TKR anesthesia question. (Post #108)

I'm glad to hear your surgeon knows you do well with ADL and has written off the PT. :yay:

I’m hoping my OS goes with ADLs only with my left knee. It’s what I’ll be doing no matter what along with some walking.

Last edited:
My OS just told me he now prefers propofol only, not in combination with an epidural
Are you sure it was an epidural and not a spinal?
I'm not at all sure about the wisdom of using propofol. It's a very short term anaesthetic and usually has to be supplemented with other longer lasting drugs but I can't say for sure as I never really did anaesthetics.

Thanks for the replies. I am certain he plans propofol only (no spinal or epidural) because I was so surprised that we talked about this twice during the visit. He referred to it as general anesthesia, but specifically stated propofol would be used. From what I’ve read, it seems like it can be used as a general. I’ll let you know how it works!

I did it! Round Two of TKR was completed Tuesday! Propofol-only WAS indeed used as general anesthesia, I don’t remember a thing. It was a very smooth process, spent about an hour in recovery, then up to the floor. I was hauled out of bed almost immediately, because i had no catheter this time. There was also no thigh block catheter this time, instead heavy duty meds were injected at the site during surgery. Pain was minimal the first day, zero appetite, nonstop sleeping. Wednesday a repeat: no appetite, very sleepy, little pain, able to easily do a lap around the unit. This was the night that I apparently enjoyed a medication-fueled $150 shopping spree on Amazon (and now the packages are rolling in LOL.). Woke up early Thursday AM shaking in severe pain, but was able to get it under control; the super duper injection given during surgery had finally worn off. The nurses, aides, PTs treated me like a queen, such a lovely and attentive crew; some recognized me from last year. After a luxurious shower with assistance from the worlds most darling aide, I went home on Thursday afternoon. I have a very small waterproof dressing, no staples this time, ok to shower anytime. Meds lighter than last time, Norco is the heavy hitter of choice, and it has not made me sick. Yet. (I was violently ill on Percocet last year.) Yesterday was my first full day at home, i was able to walk through the house unassisted (no walker, no cane) with only minimal pain. My kids and home nurse were horrified and afraid was going to topple, so I am using the walker to please everybody. The last two nights at home have been the usual post-op insomnia and crazy train of dreams. So there it it, recovery #2 is on its way. What a relief!

I'm glad everything went so well for you.
As a refresher, here is the post-op reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It sounds like everything went well with your surgery. Now, you are home and can let you knee control everything!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom