TKR Round Two: Bring It On!

Day 4 home from hospital, the pain is so much less than round one (same time, last year. ) I am incredulous that i am able to easily walk without a cane or walker. No nausea/vomiting with the Norco, and i hope to step down to Tramadol on Tuesday. The sleepiness, however, comes on like gangbusters; i now know that i have about a 30 second warning to put the iPad out of harms way before I instantly fall asleep and drop anything I am holding! Today I konked out during a chat with a visitor!

Again this time ‘round: i gained ten pounds in the hospital, despite the fact that i barely ate. I am guessing that the hourly trips to the bathroom are flushing out all the excess IV fluid responsible for the frightening numbers on scale! No appetite as yet.
 
No appetite is pretty normal. I was right there with you! I had bought protein drinks ahead of time and drink one of those as often as I could, especially when it was med taking time. Mixed nuts helped give me more protein also, along with the much needed fiber!

Ten pounds of fluid is a lot! Those trips to the bathroom are great therapy for your new knee! What wonderful news that this knee is much less painful than your first one!
 
Yes, that fluid has to go, and it will, though you will be kept going to the bathroom for a while. :umm: The nighttime visits are the most annoying. At least you know the drill already!

I laughed at you falling asleep during a chat with a visitor. The need to sleep really is that sudden and powerful! I fell asleep on my mother. There's just no way around it, is there? On the plus side, our body loves that sleep time for healing, so you're getting lots of benefit out of those naps.

How wonderful that your right knee is being an angel. :angel: It's amazing how different two recoveries can be!
 
Glad to hear you’re doing so well, except for the shopping spree! Naps were really the very best part of my TKR recovery because I’m not a napper normally. Enjoy it for now!
 
One week post surgery: Minimal pain, extreme sleepiness. And I mean EXTREME! (This involves lots of pleasant, floaty naps and I am not complaining!) Yesterday I stepped down from Norco to Tramadol/ Tylenol....trying an every-6-hour schedule, which seems to be fine so far. No nausea. I saw the incision yesterday, it’s just a red line with no creepy staples! No appetite, but able to drink high protein shakes.

Thanks everybody for the cheerleading!
 
Yay! It sounds like you're doing great! Sleep as much as your body wants to sleep. While sleeping, your body is healing even more! Being nice and relaxed is very good for that new knee! The no appetite is quite normal. Good job on the protein drinks. I bought them by the case before my tkr!
 
I have been home for a week, it all seems like a blur; I feel like i have perpetual jet lag. Pain still very minimal, insomnia is maximal LOL. I really don’t mind as I just got Hulu and the TV choices are endless!

The step down to Tramadol was easy. I am taking 300mg a day, plus 3000mg of Tylenol. I have lost 8 of the 10 pounds i gained in the hospital.

Today I was able to walk my dogs down to the end of the street and back...a milestone for me. I have had a parade of visitors who break up my napping time.

I am still astonished that I was able to ditch all walking aids as soon as i got home. I keep wondering if i really did have a TKR, lol. Trying not to jinx myself, but I am very pleased with this recovery. So far.
 
Be careful and don't let your dogs trip you. We have had some tkr patients that ending up falling. You don't want to do that. Your knee will scream at you if you do!

You are doing fantastic for such a young knee! Getting off of the strong meds and down to Tramadol is a huge step!
 
Two weeks post op from TKR2. Yesterday I saw my surgeon, he gave me thumbs up and said i could skip outpatient PT this time. Flexion is 100, extension 4.

I tried to ditch the Tramadol, but it’s apparently too soon. I am still very sleepy, and happy to ice for hours while I drift off! Doctor said sleepiness is result of “major surgery .”

I am able to walk my small dogs around the block, and keep up with the housework. Cannot face the grocery store, besides i have zero appetite.

There are 8 weeks until school starts, I plan to lie low all summer. Thank god for iPad, Hulu, and my Echo! So far I am not bored, frustrated, or chomping at the bit to gomout. I am thrilled that round two is going smoothly; it seems much easier than last summer’s TKR.

I appreciate all the good wishes and hope everyone is feeling A-OK! This recovery is not for the faint of heart!
 
You're doing great, Mumu. Just be careful not to overdo your activity so early in recovery. For the first month, you shouldn't be doing any housework, and you should be only walking a little. Just because you can do more doesn't mean that you should.

Rest and taking naps will help your knee to heal.
 
Three weeks post op, but It seems like three months, LOL. I really reined in the activity the last week, so everyday is a lazy repeat, with visitors tossed in for entertainment. I was already walking my dogs around the block during week two, and even though I can easily do it, i have decided to skip any outside walking for now. I have been tapering down the Tramadol, now taking about 150-200 mg over 24 hours, plus Tylenol; added ibuprofen at bedtime. I have been feeling queasy and chilled, wondering if it due to slight withdrawals. Still no appetite, the food offerings are piling up! Boring report, but very pleased with my progress and so happy I took the plunge again this summer! Thanks for all the encouragement.
 
Today is my 4 week anniversary. I was able to add a block to my dog walking rounds today, guessing i was out moving very slowly for about 30 minutes. I also drove to Trader Joe’s and did a very light grocery trip. Pruned a few roses, watered, now I am icing and ready to nap.

Pain is minimal, i would call it discomfort. Having some zingers. Nighttime sleep is elusive still, sigh.

Had a rough time last week when I stopped the Tramadol after a taper (which probably was not slow enough.) i had about 4 days of cold sweats, diarrhea, weepiness, body aches, nausea, zero appetite. I do remember this from last year, and both times it was the low point of my recovery. It was really awful, and I am ready to toss those pills forever. I am convinced Tramadol as not as innocent as touted. Just using Tylenol now.

Last year my incision was closed with staples, this time I had glue. I am not liking the way it’s healing so far, as it looks kinda “ ropey” in some places. Is this normal!? I am hoping it flattens out.

4th of July is my favorite holiday! I usually hold a grand party in my front yard, but decided to skip it again this year because it will exhaust me. However, my street has a huge annual block party and the city’s fireworks are launched right behind our houses. It’s spectacular, and i am looking forward to visiting with the neighbors, very few of whom know I had surgery again.

Hope everyone is feeling OK!
 
Almost seven weeks post-op now. Had a post-op visit with OS today, he said everything looks perfect. My incision has flattened out and is fading. I am not doing outpatient PT (with surgeon’s blesing) nor do I do any “exercises.” He eyeballed my ROM and gave it a thumbs up. In lieu of PT, I have been walking my dogs a mile every morning, taking care of household chores and light gardening, and swimming every evening. Will be ready to start back to school in three weeks, yay!
 
In lieu of PT, I have been walking my dogs a mile every morning, taking care of household chores and light gardening, and swimming every evening.
They are exercises! They are just normal exercises and just perfect for your knee! Great that your OS is happy with your progress, even without formal PT!
 
You’re doing great! Just getting on with life and working your knees normally as they are happy with will get you back to where you need to be. Hope school will be a breeze!
 
Nine week post op! Yay! Have increased my dog walking route to about 1.5 miles and am “swimming” about 90 minutes a day (more like bobbing and chatting, with lots of leg bending.) New scar (glued) is looking thin, i think it’s going to turn out less noticeable than last year’s (staples.). I am driving alone to San Diego this weekend to see my daughter and rambunctious family. School starts a week from today and I am looking forward to the activity after a tedious summer. Hope everyone is A-OK.
 
I started back to school last week ( 10 weeks post-op) and logged 11,000 steps on the first day, oy vey! Happy to be back to work, but pretty fatigued upon arrival home. Last Sunday I drove 4 hours round trip with dogs in tow to visit my daughters family; I babysat a very busy three year old without being totally whooped ( only semi, LOL.). Not sure what my ROM is, probably a bit over 100....not great, but I walk without a limp so I am happy for now. Very little pain, but I still have moderate stiffness and swelling. I just booked a trip to Hawaii for spring break as a reward for two summers of recuperation!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom