THR Rough Hospital Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You definitely need to stop walking and see your doc. No question. Such severe pain, and now bruising, could be an indication of any number of things.
 
Oh @LoyalD that sounds awful. I have never had that kind of pain. It sounds dreadful. You do need some further assessment. Fingers crossed you can get access to your doctor tomorrow.
 
As per usual ... my questions

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Rough Hospital Stay
)


3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.
 
@LoyalD So sorry you are going through all of this. I hope you get some answers very quickly and can start to feel better. Once you do, take the time to rest and catch yourself up physically and mentally.
 
@Josephine, thanks for checking in.

1. I had Left Posterior approach 10 weeks ago.

2. Hip is doing great, no pain there. The pain has been deliberating in both calves for the past two weeks but after Saturday's emergency room, I stopped the extensive PT calf exercises. My calves have been at a level 7 pain for two weeks. I have tried Norco and Naproxen to deal with the calves, to no avail. I had huge athletic calves before the surgery, so big that people would remark regularly.

My calves ache but far worse is the brutal ankle pain, top of ankle, operated leg. About every 10 steps, a pain shoots up that stops me literally. Swelling on the ankle of my operated ankle.

3. I am taking Norco 5 as needed. No pain during sleep but if I wake to, say, go to the bathroom, the first operated leg sends a zinger of pain up the ankle; same when I wake up in the morning, zinger of pain up top of ankle.

4. Unfortunately I was back to my office job at five weeks. I do a lot of walking including around work, cooking, laundry, etc. I can be going along fine, then ouch, a zing of pain goes up my ankle. I am on the cane at work.

5. I am done with PT, I found their exercises worsened the calf pain in both legs.

I visited the Emergency Room on Saturday and ultrasound revealed no blood clots.
 
Thank you for your replies. It does seem to me that this has been caused by excessive exercising (even though you never told me what that was!). But the only thing comes to mind that you might find beneficial is chiropractic treatment and massage. It's the only thing I know to get those tight muscles to relax.
 
@ LoyalD, just checking in on you. How's the top of your foot?? Did you ever get any answers as to the cause??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Checking in at Week 11; thanks @beachgal for asking. The top of my foot/ankle fortunately is starting to resolve itself. I rested it a lot last week, during Week 10, and iced every night with an ice pack on top of the ankle, and one on each side, forming a pyramid of sorts. The shooting zingers of pain up the top of my ankle are far less, I get them, say, 20 times per day, instead of 100. Looks to me like learning-to-walk-correctly pains.

I am still very stiff upon waking, with incredible stiffness if I have glorious long nights of complete sleep. Likewise, if I do too much. We were at the craps table on Sunday night in Vegas for five hours, with very little sitting, and when I woke up this morning, I was stiff from standing too long and my IT Band was sore.

So, nothing big to say or even complain about. As I read early-on, by Week 12, you start periodically forgetting you had the surgery done, and I can see I am headed for that success. On a related note, the hip pain pre-surgery has been completely gone, and remains gone, probably from around Week 6.

If anyone new is reading my post, here are some key points for you to consider, based on my experience from my June 24th LTHR surgery:

1. BEFORE you have your surgery, ascertain from the hospital where you will start your recovery, exactly HOW they handle pain medications. Specifically, ask them if you will be automatically scheduled for pain medication and what intervals, or if you have to ask. I did not figure out this distinction until Day 2.5 of my hospital stay. I was in such a pain fog (read my early posts), I did not realize that I had to actually ask for pain medication. I mistakenly thought that common sense would prevail, that when I was moaning in pain, the Hospital Staff would realize I wanted to be kept on a pain medication schedule.
2. Get the handicapped toilet; it is a lifesaver. Don't think you can go without it.
3. Read people's stories here anytime you are worried; you will have more success here then trying to call your doctor's office for an immediate answer.
4. Do not compare yourself with other's pain tolerance. Amazingly, I read here that UK patients go home with Tylenol, when I could not last four hours during the first two weeks without a Percocet.
5. Don't think you have to be committed to physical therapy. There are plenty of differing views on whether you need to do it, for how long, etc.
6. Use ice packs everywhere it hurts.

Good luck.
 
2. Get the handicapped toilet; it is a lifesaver. Don't think you can go without it.

I never needed one - not even close. Different strokes... :)


Very glad to hear that your strange ankle pain is subsiding!!
 
Glad the foot is better. Agree on the advice. I'd add a recliner. I don't have one at our home here and I miss the one I had in Jackson. Getting better. Just glad things are going well for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Definitely agree with @beachgal on the recliner. I already had a sofa with reclining seats so I didn't even think about it - but it definitely would have sucked without it!!
 
I had RTHR on 8/25/14. Initially I was given OxyContin and dilaudid for the pain but only took those meds for a few days. Now in the rare event that I have pain, typically after PT, I use ice and maybe Tylenol. To aid in sleep I have been taking 2.5 or 5 mg Valium. It relaxes everything. I had my sutures removed on 9/9 and today, 9/11 I was allowed to go back into the pool. I am told by the OS and PT that I am doing well and am right on track.
 
Hey all, checking in at the 12 week mark, and indeed, 12 weeks is a milestone. My hip itself is without the previous pain; there is new pain of course, related to the surgery, but over the course of the last 12 weeks, has steadily reduced. Okay, I will say it, I am glad I had the surgery....which as you all know, I have not said once.

I am super stiff in the morning. I attribute that to the fact that I literally do not move from where I am in bed, all night, because I am still bone-tired from work. As you all know, I unfortunately had to go back to work after five weeks. I fimrly believe going back to work delayed my forward progress towards fulll recovery, and highly recommend a minimum of eight (8) weeks off work, even if you have an office job, like I do. Josephine, I believe recommends 12 weeks off work.
 
@LoyalD, so glad to hear from you at the 12-week mark and extremely happy with the reduced pain. Hope your foot/ankle is continuing to improve as well. I was glad I had the surgery before I had it, but we never know what we're facing until the days pass and we deal with new and different problems and pains. You've had more than your share, so to hear you say you're happy, that's huge.

I came back to work into my 7th week and it was too much. Like you, I really had no choice as there were deadlines to meet but since I met those, I'm backing off each day a bit. I get here a bit later, leave earlier, and go home and rest some before dinner. It's been much better with that approach.
 
Good to hear you are seeing improvements @LoyalD To get past on all the stiffness, etc. may take some time yet but hopefully you can work it out fairly quickly once you are up and moving. It is really a shame you have to be at work right now when you really should be resting more.
 
That is great news.... I guess it is difficult to know what your own journey will be. We all have different stories to tell...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hey all, checking in at the 12 week mark, and indeed, 12 weeks is a milestone. My hip itself is without the previous pain; there is new pain of course, related to the surgery, but over the course of the last 12 weeks, has steadily reduced. Okay, I will say it, I am glad I had the surgery....which as you all know, I have not said once.

I am super stiff in the morning. I attribute that to the fact that I literally do not move from where I am in bed, all night, because I am still bone-tired from work. As you all know, I unfortunately had to go back to work after five weeks. I fimrly believe going back to work delayed my forward progress towards fulll recovery, and highly recommend a minimum of eight (8) weeks off work, even if you have an office job, like I do. Josephine, I believe recommends 12 weeks off work.


You know, I have been waiting for you to say this. :snork: I am SO happy for you - really I am! :cheers:

I do think we all differ in our recoveries - I was home for just 16 days and that was perfect. :) As @NoraJ said above, we all have different stories. Really no way to know ahead of time how your own recovery will go. But really glad to finally hear that you have made the turn, so to speak.
 
Checking in at the Three Month mark. Circling back on my last post, no pain per see in the hip, just stiffness upon waking and when I sit too long, watching television or at my desk. My biggest issue continues to be the swelling in the operative leg ankle, and associated pain. The pain zingers I have continue, as well, at the top of my ankle, which continues to have veins which I think have doubled in size since the surgery, about ten new ones have popped up to be at the skin's surface, and a general purple hue to my ankle. Thoughts?
 
@LoyalD, so good to see you back online. We're off to Seaside for a long weekend with my sisters and their extended families but the MS Gulf Coast will be hopping with "Cruisin the Coast". Going on for 10 days, the best old car show in the country.

No idea about your swelling in the ankle. Baffles me. Wish that would go away.

I'm doing well. Feel so blessed every day. Still a bit stiff after sitting for a while and can't stay in heels all day yet but I'm practicing. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, we have definitely heard of Cruisin the Coast; it runs along Beach Boulevard? Thanks for the response on your use, or really the lack thereof, of your cane. I am still very much limping along; my entire hip area seems wound-up in stiffness, and by touch, I can see how firm all of the muscles/tissues are in the area, versus the more relaxed feel of the nonoperated hip. I see my doctor next Friday for a check-up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom