Guest viewing is limited

THR Rough Hospital Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to work today, part-time, hoping to make it to 2 p.m. I spent the day yesterday cooking lunches for the week, since I won't really be able to run out and grab something too easily. I also completely packed up my car last night, so I could just get in and drive!

I am at the 5 week mark........

I'm impressed you were able to do all of this prep work at 5 weeks out, LoyalD! I'm 7 weeks out today and can't prepare much more than a peanut butter sandwich for myself right now.

Hang in there. Try to be positive. I know being positive is very hard some days --- something I am struggling with a lot. Also sending you healing vibes through the internet! :) I hope your part time days at work are working out for you.
 
@Chessie easier than you would think. Think of the action that some people do when they drop the soap in the shower and don't just bend over to get it. My Dr told me about this one and so I just tried it to see how mine went and I do that same thing. So I figure there are other things I do too but just don't know about.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
@Chessie easier than you would think. Think of the action that some people do when they drop the soap in the shower and don't just bend over to get it. My Dr told me about this one and so I just tried it to see how mine went and I do that same thing. So I figure there are other things I do too but just don't know about.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Well you must be made of different material than me. When I squat (which is something I don't even do right now anyway - are you already able to squat???), there is no way my knees are going to cross. :chinstroke:
 
@Chessie Yep I can squat down to pick things off the ground as long as I keep my knees straight. I don't do it often but sometimes I do. Also it is handy for when I want to tie my shoes.

The cross over thing in the shower it's kind of hard to describe but it comes very natural to me... Even with having very tight tendons etc I am really flexible every where except my hamstrings... So bending over to grab something just doesn't work so well even before surgery. So I found other ways to bend to get it done.

I have also never met a yoga pose that couldn't do fairly easily unless it involved my hamstrings.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
So, I went to my first Outpatient PT appointment last night, yes, at the 6 week mark. It was wonderful, I rode a bike for ten minutes, super slow of course. Then, the PT massaged my scar for a good five minutes, taught me a bunch of great exercies which, the last one, gave me the opportunity to show her pain under my butt cheek. She said it was my hamstring and was aghast at how incredibly tight it was, she showed me that it was in spasm and that is a source of a good deal of my pain; and then she massaged that for a good five minutes....blessed!

I felt fantastic last night, I think that is the endorphins. But, whoa am I good sore this morning; drinking lots of water to flush the toxins. I feel like I just ran ten miles...lol.
 
I'm envious of you getting outpatient PT! Glad you had a good visit and work out with them. That endorphin "high" is gratifying I'm sure. Enjoy that! How often will you go to PT?
 
@LoyalD , I had horrid hamstring spasms post op. Stopped me in my tracks. To this day I do seated hamstring stretches several times per day. Easy does it on the exercises. Those muscles are going to complain about having to work again.
 
@LoyalD
Hi. I am very late to this thread (actually to the whole forum) but happy to hear you are doing better. Your post caught my eye by the topic and mention of a rough start. I felt I was having a rough start too. Low blood pressure, nausea, and low hemoglobin. I bounced back after 2nd day in hospital and feel steady since. I will keep following with your progress. My right THR was on July 30th and home since August 1. Amazing to read all the different experiences and stories. Thanks for sharing


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Rough Hospital Stay
@grnplatebrd, Please start a thread of your own here in the Hip Replacement Recovery forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. I look forward to seeing your first post.
 
@LoyalD , I had horrid hamstring spasms post op. Stopped me in my tracks. To this day I do seated hamstring stretches several times per day. Easy does it on the exercises. Those muscles are going to complain about having to work again.

@Jaycey, can you please describe how you do the seated hamstring stretches?

Also, the PT said I have Planter Fascitis, which originally I thought was my nerves starting to wake up. Any remedies for that?
 
I really appreciate all these replies and guidance.

Is anyone massaging their scar; thoughts on that? It is so tender, but the PT pulled out some massage oil and massaged it with a glove on...hurt so good.

Also, for the first time in four weeks, I woke up completely drenched in sweat, which I am attributing to all of the toxins being released from my PT activity.
 
can you please describe how you do the seated hamstring stretches?
Sit facing straight ahead in a sturdy chair. Lift your leg so you are straightening the knee. Don't try too hard at first, your muscles are probably very tight. With you lower leg straight pull you foot toward your body (toes toward the nose). Hold for a bit and relax. Then do the other leg. Go very slow with the toes to the nose at first. If your hamstring is very tight you won't be able to do much of a stretch. I could hardly lift and stretch when I first started to do these. Now I can lift and hold the leg straight out and pull my foot almost vertical.
Is anyone massaging their scar; thoughts on that? It is so tender, but the PT pulled out some massage oil and massaged it with a glove on...hurt so good.
Not really necessary. Your scar will heal on it's own very quickly. I would not let PT fuss with it but that's just me.

I had the sweating due to pain meds. Others here have also experienced the same. Please don't worry about it. It's only temporary.
 
@LoyalD I had plantar faciitis in my non operated foot too. I used a golf ball which I placed on the floor and rolled under the affected foot. Also some deep tissue massage and icing helped considerably x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I have had several bouts with plantar fasciitis over the years. It can be pesky to get rid of the longer you let it go. One thing you can do is to freeze a bottle of water and roll it under the arch of your foot several times a day. Be sure and wear a sock so you don't over-chill your skin.

Since this came on with your THR, the culprit may be your shoes. If you haven't purchased some new shoes with good support for everyday wear, do so immediately. Your old shoes have your wear patterns from pre-surgery and just that little bit of misalignment can really mess with your body dynamics.

You can also do this stretch a couple of times a day (especially in the morning when you wake up). With tennis shoes on, stand facing a wall or counter so that you can comfortable put the ball of your foot up on the vertical surface of the wall. Your heel remains on the floor. Straighten your leg and lean into the wall. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times with each foot. You should feel a stretch in your foot and calf. Here is a video that shows this and other good stretches. Note not to do the stair one if you have active pain, though!!



If the plantar fasciitis continues after a couple of weeks of the stretches and exercises, you need to see an orthopedist who specializes in foot issues. You may need some orthotics to wear for a while.
 
Let's circle back, all the way to the beginning, when one of our lovely Moderators said that "my health care provider had failed me." Well, it continues. After taking four weeks to get me into my first PT appointment, which I thought was fabulous, Round 2 comes up miserable because.....the usual mess-ups. I literally scheduled the appointment this morning at 10:00 a.m., for a 1:00 appointment. After sitting there for 15 minutes, they told me I had the wrong time. I rescheduled everything today so I could go in, because my Shin Splints are at a Pain Level 8. After putting me on the bike and giving me butt exercises, I got up and left. This is after they shoved me alongside another PT patient who had had shoulder surgery.

So, Health Care Partners continues to suck.
 
@LoyalD, I was SO in hopes that your PT was lined up and ready to get you moving forward. This really makes me mad !!! You deserve to be serviced with PT !!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal, I am going to call tomorrow now that I have calmed down, and speak to the PT who saw me last week and make sure I get her. The PT that I saw today wanted to Ice my shins for 15 minutes; I told him I could do that at home. I felt like he was looking for a way to put me on hold so he could be with his primary client.

I am icing my shins every way tonight; inside, outside and on top of bone.
 
I have had several bouts with plantar fasciitis over the years. It can be pesky to get rid of the longer you let it go. One thing you can do is to freeze a bottle of water and roll it under the arch of your foot several times a day. Be sure and wear a sock so you don't over-chill your skin.

Since this came on with your THR, the culprit may be your shoes. If you haven't purchased some new shoes with good support for everyday wear, do so immediately. Your old shoes have your wear patterns from pre-surgery and just that little bit of misalignment can really mess with your body dynamics.

You can also do this stretch a couple of times a day (especially in the morning when you wake up). With tennis shoes on, stand facing a wall or counter so that you can comfortable put the ball of your foot up on the vertical surface of the wall. Your heel remains on the floor. Straighten your leg and lean into the wall. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 5 times with each foot. You should feel a stretch in your foot and calf. Here is a video that shows this and other good stretches. Note not to do the stair one if you have active pain, though!!



If the plantar fasciitis continues after a couple of weeks of the stretches and exercises, you need to see an orthopedist who specializes in foot issues. You may need some orthotics to wear for a while.


@Jamie, did you have shin splints too?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom