Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Rosemary's BTKRs Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a great visit with my OS yesterday also had the last PT session under the 1st 12 approved sessions. Requesting 8 more sessions & I will only go twice a week. Xrays of my new knees attached.


[Bonesmart.org] Rosemary's BTKRs Journey
[Bonesmart.org] Rosemary's BTKRs Journey



:happydance:Told doc the Tramadol was not helping me at all. He gave me samples and a script of a new pain pill called Duexis that is 800mg ibuprofen/26.6 famotidine which is Pepcid. I was told that I should not take ibuprofen because I had a gastric bypass 12 years ago. OS said the Pepcid should help with that and to always take it when eating something. I am still taking Tylenol during the day.

Attending PT in the morning made a world of difference, I was rested and I took the day off because of the OS appt. I took the duexis when I got home and again at bedtime and I can already tell the difference my knees are not as swollen and today I am not having any significant pain. I'm walking much more naturally, the stiffness is minimal. I will keep a close vigil for any signs of stomach issues, but right now I am thinking the ibuprofen is worth it.
 
Great news! Like you said pay close attention to the stomach, but hopefully with a short run of this it will be ok.
 
Hi Everyone!

Finally had a chance to check in. Had a very good weekend! Had 4 grandson's over and took them to a park to feed ducks & play in the playground. I walked very well with just a cane and didn't have much pain or swelling afterwards. Yesterday went to church and then to my sis-in-laws house and did so without using anything for assistance. I am very impressed with the new med,Duexis, it's made a world of difference. I start my reduced work schedule this week working Mon,Wed, Fri and off on Tues & Thurs for PT in the morning with rest afterwards. Even sleep at night seems to be improving. Still a little trouble getting up from lower seats. Thanks for asking Annie :)
 
It"s a cold, rainy, windy day in San Antonio, TX & I am NOT in pain. This type of day I would have pretty horrible arthritic knee pain. This is very interesting. :yay:
 
Hi.. Just went through your recovery journey.. Your initial PT schedule along with work sounded brutal.. How could you tackle em both.. Your PT alone was so intense.. That's more excercises than even my time at the gym and I'm jus 38 yrs old.. In comparison my mom is reallllly chilling out :) hope you have eased up now and pain and swelling is under control now. Interesting medicine you mentioned there.. Ill ask my mom's dr about it. Wishing you all the best.. Hope you get super fit quick.

I was in your city in 2002..I was studying in Houston at the time.. loved every second of it.. :)

Takecare :)
Kamran
 
My new schedule of PT in the morning & off from work on those days is really much MUCH better. In fact yesterday after PT we decided to go to walmart and I decided to walk the store instead of using one of the scooters. I was doing great, on top of the world walking around looking like a "normal" person. About 15 minutes into the shopping trip the top of my knees and the front of my thighs started to get angry at me. Oooh boy, I iced and elevated the rest of the day. Today I woke up a but stiff & still with some top pain. But the Deuxis is still working great. They measured my ROM yesterday and I was at 109 on the right which is the knee that lags behind. She didn't measure the left because she got busy & it was the end of my session. Wondering if this type of pain top of knee is what becomes normal for most at around 11 wks post op and if so when did it subside for others?
 
It just slowly gets better.

Please only do a little more each time, because if you get to pain (as you did) you're setting yourself backwards. You now know, for instance, to walk for less than 15 minutes!
 
Listen to Roy - he knows, y'know! Besides which it was my experience too. I also learned this the hard way!
 
Hello All! I am doing well. My ROM has improved! I am at 110 left and 115 right. I only have 2 weeks of PT left. Today I walked to my office from the distant parking lot w/out a cane for the 1st time. Walking still feels weird, sort of mechanical, almost like on stilts. One thing I am noticing lately is that I no longer have any back pain when walking, that is such a wonderful thing! Still taking DUEXIS (ibuprofen and famotidine) Tablets 800 mg/26.6 mg for pain and swelling and it works great for me. Taking a drive up to Austin for the weekend, it will be the longest drive yet for me about an hour drive to my daughters place. Next week is spring break also planning a trip to Landa park with the grandsons, BBQing, paddle boats, putt putt golf, looking forward to at least being able to do some of this, I can take my walker with a seat so that I can rest & sit as we do things. Just praying the weather cooperates!
 
Just for your information, famotidine is just a proton pump inhibitor and contributes nothing to pain management. So in reality, you are just taking ibuprofen which I find a worry. NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers. NSAIDS are a very mild analgesic so I would have thought that Tylenol would have been a better pain med than that at only 12 weeks out.

Terrific ROM though! Well done!
 
You're doing well! :cheers:
 
Weekend was rainy and cold enough to make my aches & pains seem tougher than usual :gaah: We didn't do anything that required much walking. Slept on my daughter's bed which is way too soft for my liking, tossed & turned most of the night, plus we lost an hour that night too so today I am really dragging at work. Oh and I am having some trouble with my IT band on the left leg. If I have been sitting or laying down and get up it is really tight and gives me pain until I walk for a while then it goes away. It could be, because while staying at daughter's her toilet is super low, so I was actually coming up from a pretty deep bend there when getting up from it. Hoping the IT band issue will resolve itself with TLC in a couple of days. Thurs plans with the grandsons has changed it's suppose to be too cold for a BBQ in the park, so we are taking them bowling, I don't think I should bowl myself, 13 wks out and don't want to risk it. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on bowling after BTKRs.
 
3 months ago today at this moment I was on the operating table changing my life forever. I'm feeling very strong & stable. I have started doing some of my exercises without holding on to the parallel rails, such as the stair steps & walking over cones. Was told to do hamstring stretches to help with the IT pain and it helped. Did something yesterday I have heard we should not do regularly and that was kneeling. Only for a minute or so and it was on a kneeler. I had no pain while doing it and I stood up with ease. I could never do this at church before, the pain was terrible. Only 3 PT sessions left!
 
:yahoo:Happy 1st day of Spring everybody! Well I know many states are still experiencing winter and I sympathize with you. I am so glad that there has been a warming trend finally here and my new knees love the warmer weather. Well I maxed out the number of PT visits allowed by my insurance, so I am on my own from here on out. The therapist was pretty concerned that I needed a lot more work on strengthening quads and working on the bend & sitting & standing without holding on to anything. I am sure they wanted me to ask my OS & my insurance for additional visits, but no, I am confident that I can do this on my own now & that my progress has been very good thus far. So I'd like to hear from folks who have been doing it on their own, how dedicated are you to your routines and how long do you exercise, how many times a day at about 14 wks out?
 
Happy Spring from New Braunfels! I've been reading your posts and am amazed at the exercises your PT had you do. My left knee is hurting just thinking about it!! And you had both knees done...WOW you are brave:yay:. I had my surgery locally and am doing very well. Sometimes have trouble with steps, but I tell myself I am still healing. And I am :). I ride my recumbent bike while I watch tv (try to get in 2 rides of 5 miles daily). I get my walking exercise at the grocery. Maybe not a good idea because I sometimes come out with more items than are on my list :shrug:. You have made great progress!! :cheers: ....katie
 
Justrosieinsa- I found your thread today and have read every word. I had BTKR on Jan 23. So a a few weeks to a month after you. Did the same time in hospital and 9 days in rehabilitation hospital next door. Then home had vna nurses and pt. Just started outpatient pt last week. Working hard on muscles to get stronger. You are inspiring me! I still walk with one crutch. At home move about with nothing. Have not left house with cane yet too afraid. I have 6 weeks of pt maybe more to go. Wonder if I should join a gym when done for equipment? I am very impressed you are working now do you get tired? How long do you exercise at home now and 2x a day? Thank you for teaching and helping me.
 
Working hard on muscles to get stronger.
Please take care with that; if your knees hurt or swell in the 24 hours after any such exercise, cut back. It is counterproductive to train before the knees are healed enough to take it.
 
Hi all, sorry it takes me a while to get back here to post. @newkneesNH It's been hard developing a regular routine at home since I work full time. Basically what I am "trying" to do, is warm ups, bends & stretches in the morning before I go to work. & the recumbent bike for 30 minutes after dinner every other day, & I want to work that up to 45 minutes eventually. On the off bike days I try to do some of the quad & hamstring build up exercises with leg weights, I was using 3 lb ones at PT and at home I only have 5lbs it's a difference! My husband is going to build me a step up platform so that I can do those, I really need to focus on those, because of my weaker rt leg.

@katie830 you are just up the road from me :) sounds like you are doing great!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom