Guest viewing is limited

ROM and Extension stretches

If you don't have a partner, another option is to drape two soft ankle weights just above and below the knee. That's what I do!
 
I sat on a chair, foot on another chair, tied a 1.5lb hand weight to each end of a scarf and draped it over my knee. So similar to @Clipless
 
@referee54 : did the ankle weights over the bed resolve the adhesions and eliminate the need for MUA?
I never needed an MUA. I was told that I had a few adhesions, but I took care of them myself.

My OS told me that very few folks actually do get adhesions---just as stated on this forum, too. I was one of the unlucky ones.

Extension seems to take longer to achieve then flexion, so patience and persistence is a must.
 
I believe that one reason that extension takes more work is that we can stretch the quads easier---it is slower with the hamstrings. When I pulled a hamstring while reffing college basketball, it took me quite some time to get it back to functioning correctly.
 
So glad I found this thread! Thank you so much everyone.. just the kind of gentle exercises and instructions I need to read about and incorporate.
 
@funkymuse - Don't go overboard with the exercises! Just a very little is more than enough.

By the way, we no longer recommend using weights at all.

Remember, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Let your knee take its time. The haematoma has given it a little knock-back, so it may need a bit longer than you'd hoped for.

I've probably told you this before, but there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR


Also, consider this advice:
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!
TKRs and our fast food society
Life in the slow lane
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 
If you don't have a partner, another option is to drape two soft ankle weights just above and below the knee.
I sat on a chair, foot on another chair, tied a 1.5lb hand weight to each end of a scarf and draped it over my knee.
Did you ladies read this? BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy It specifically states

WEIGHTS, BANDS and RESISTANCE
There are also another types of exercise which are to be avoided - the use of weights and bands
 
@funkymuse - Don't go overboard with the exercises! Just a very little is more than enough.

Remember, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Let your knee take its time. The haematoma has given it a little knock-back, so it may need a bit longer than you'd hoped for.

I've probably told you this before, but there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR


Also, consider this advice:
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!
TKRs and our fast food society
Life in the slow lane
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Thanks for the reminder @Celle - I'm slowly starting to GET IT!!!
today WILL BE gentle!
 
Did you ladies read this? BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy It specifically states

WEIGHTS, BANDS and RESISTANCE
There are also another types of exercise which are to be avoided - the use of weights and bands

Just read the article @Josephine and I loved the fact that a member posted this:
I had mine done at Mayo Clinic and they no longer believe in the pushing of it. They give you the exercises to do at home and tell you they want the knee to rest and heal. Do what you are comfortable with.you will get there in baby steps.
Thank God a company as big as the Mayo Clinic here in the states is STARTING TO GET IT! :) :-) (:
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom