Guest viewing is limited

ROM and Extension stretches

And now, laydeez'n'genlmen, my latest idea in a new super high technology approach to quad strengthening. Be prepared to be amazed, stunned and all kinds of stuff. First, examine the detailed picture below:


[Bonesmart.org] ROM and Extension stretches



A fireplace with two piles of books, you think. Ha! You're right! But not any old books, oh no, Encyclopedia Britannica, bitta respect please.

On top of them some copies of classic Winning magazine, cycling from the 80s, and an old bit of shelving.

Top stuff.

The idea is that I sit on the bit of shelving and and stand up again, getting a nice pull in the quads without upsetting the knees. The number of books used makes it the right height, wizard innit!

Heels are close up to the books for maximum effect.

The key to the hi-tech aspect is that every so often I take 2 magazines away (one from each side, you can't fool me!), to lower the height a tiny bit. When they're all gone I remove an encyclopedia from each side and put the magazines back. Slowly getting more strength-bearing range of motion.

Look upon my works ye mighty and despair!

And a close up.

[Bonesmart.org] ROM and Extension stretches


The wee doggy is called 'Bones', belongs to my eldest daughter, and is good at supervising.
 
:hysterical: Oh! Roy, once again you've made my day!!!!! What a riot!!!! but a super idea! Might be difficult for those of us who don't have a set of books that we can stack like that.

:blush: Also, have to admit to you, that I have bought a skate board---and you're so right (ofcourse)---it is great for flexion and thats what I need most at this point.

You have the most wonderful sense of humor---:th_heehee:---it always does my heart good to read your posts. Keep up the good work. :cat-kittyandsmiley:Judy
 
Errrrrrrrrm, oh dear. Obviously a bit of humour was intended, but just in case I overdid it I am actually dead serious about the exercise and it does work.

Who can guess who the cyclist(s) are on the cover of 'Winning' :th_heehee:?
 
Hi Roy, how innovative!!!! I want to know if you've read all the books????

As it would happen, yesterday I emailled my physio telling her that I could now get up from a reasonably solid, not too low chair without using my arms and asked if I could start "stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down" as an exercise. And she said YES. But, I'm to stand up without assistance, but for first few days sit down with my arms on the arm rests so as not to impact on my non-TKR knee as it was making funny noises under the kneecap. Should help my stubborn (no other word for it) quads!!!!!
 
..... so it wasn't you that wrote them then????
 
Not all of them. I was 11 at the time of publication of that version.
 
Thought I'd add this to Roy's thread for ROM and Extension stretches.....

I'm sitting at my desk, on my office chair with wheels. And I hold onto my desk, keep my feet flat on the ground and push with my arms away from my desk, and pull back in again.
 
Thank you so much for these Roy!
And I just had the pleasure of watching my husband's face when I told him I wanted to buy a skateboard today.
 
Thought I'd add this to Roy's thread for ROM and Extension stretches.....

I'm sitting at my desk, on my office chair with wheels. And I hold onto my desk, keep my feet flat on the ground and push with my arms away from my desk, and pull back in again.
Please allow me to suggest improvements:

'm sitting at my desk, on my office chair with wheels. And I hold onto my desk, keep my feet flat on the ground and push with my arms away from my desk, stand up (quads), walk away (gait, strength, balance), walk to kitchen (distance training), make cup of tea (full hydration is essential), walk to sitting room (distance and navigation), sit in comfy chair (will be lower than office chair, strength training), turn on telly. There, that's better innit?
...I just had the pleasure of watching my husband's face when I told him I wanted to buy a skateboard today.
:th_heehee: Blame me I don't care
 
Funny as always Roy , but theres a lot of truth to that. I think we sometimes forget that ADLs (activities of daily living) are why we need to be able to bend, straighten , etc and also count as "exercise". When I started back walking for exercise I wasn't counting walking in the house or while grocery shopping, etc and my knee yelled at me..It all counts towards recovery.
 
And now, laydeez'n'genlmen, my latest idea in a new super high technology approach to quad strengthening. Be prepared to be amazed, stunned and all kinds of stuff. First, examine the detailed picture below:


[Bonesmart.org] ROM and Extension stretches



A fireplace with two piles of books, you think. Ha! You're right! But not any old books, oh no, Encyclopedia Britannica, bitta respect please.

On top of them some copies of classic Winning magazine, cycling from the 80s, and an old bit of shelving.

Top stuff.

The idea is that I sit on the bit of shelving and and stand up again, getting a nice pull in the quads without upsetting the knees. The number of books used makes it the right height, wizard innit!

Heels are close up to the books for maximum effect.

The key to the hi-tech aspect is that every so often I take 2 magazines away (one from each side, you can't fool me!), to lower the height a tiny bit. When they're all gone I remove an encyclopedia from each side and put the magazines back. Slowly getting more strength-bearing range of motion.

Look upon my works ye mighty and despair!

And a close up.

[Bonesmart.org] ROM and Extension stretches


The wee doggy is called 'Bones', belongs to my eldest daughter, and is good at supervising.
Well aren't you just amazing! I knew there was a reason to keep encyclopedias after the little ones are grown.
Seriously, a great tip - I want you to know I did try this and will keep at it. So much easier!!
Great advice as usual Roy - love your posts, thank you.
 
This is really good and valuable instruction! I'm going to get a skate board somewhere and follow up. Why don't the PT's approach the exercises this way? Anyway, Thanks Roy!
 
Roy, I really like the skate board idea! My 8 yr old is to young for one, so I might have to buy one, or borrow from a friend's son!! I also used a office chair with wheels. In the basement where the desktop computer is, I had to do some work, I would slide the leg back and forth slowly. Now I really can tell my progress. But doesn't sound as much fun as your skateboard, lol!!
 
will try those looks okay had phone call today 17 may cancelled emergency having op on 16 now same surgeon different hospital getting more nervous
 
Roy I love the skateboard idea, and I have one. I'm headed to the garage to get it out. Anything to make it more interesting, and I can see how this would give a gentle easy stretch. I use patio chairs when I'm outside, but now I can bring the skateboard in, and have a slick way to do it inside also. Thanks
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom