TKR Roller coaster recovery of Jas

Your incision is just taking longer to heal, as the stitches are absorbed/spit out your incision will fully close. The scar will mature and fade over the next year, becoming less and less visible.
Here is some information about wound closure and healing.
Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?
 
@Pumpkln Thanks for the info dear. It’s very frustrating as it’s still sore from not healing properly. Aslo to see it oozing still is little scary. I hope it heals without any infection.
 
A friend had an incisional infection last year after TKR, he was put on antibiotics and is doing fine. If you surgeon had suspected an infection he would have put you on antibiotics.
 
@Rockgirl4 @luvcats You guys are right that I need to be more patient with this recovery. It’s very hard not to compare yourself with others as it only does is cause misery. Oh boy I never knew it could be this hard. I guess not knowing before hand what this recovery involves is a bummer.

What! You are not out at the snow park at three weeks and playing tennis at 6 weeks? I just read ads about this the other day. I guess you and I got the wrong implants. Or just maybe, those ads, with their paid endorsements, are not telling us the whole truth? Take your pick. I just read an ad from a local medical center featuring a man I will call Joe. He is depicted with his backpack on top of some mountain he just hiked up thanks to his new knee. However, they have tactfully omitted important information like how long it's been since Joe had the surgery, and what percent of their patients routinely hike to the top of the local mountains.
 
Any tips on heel pain while recovering from TKR. It takes me a second to start waking after I stand up. I think it’s due to heel pain I am having.
 
There are some heel cups you can buy that will cradle your heel. When I had a spur I had to wear one all the time until I had it filed down. What kind of heel pain are you having? Does it feel like soft tissue? If so, you probably need some new shoes since your gait is now different with the new knee.
 
I have 2 small spots that still haven't closed properly. My surgeon's PA said it's completely normal. I'm annoyed because I can't get back in the pool, but its closing slowly but surely.
 
@sistersinhim It seems to be more in the bone than
soft tissue but I am not sure. My PT thinks it’s due to tight muscles.
 
@luvcats Ya I am in the same spot. Our surgery date is same. My knee has been spitting out sutures as they are not dissolving.
 
@sistersinhim This heel pain is really holding me back. Also muscles in the back of my lower leg hurts sometimes. Where can I buy the heel cups? Also can I wear them without wearing the gym shoes.
 
I have 2 small spots that still haven't closed properly. My surgeon's PA said it's completely normal. I'm annoyed because I can't get back in the pool, but its closing slowly but surely.

I have one spot that was the last one to stop weeping fluid. It is at one end of the incision. Apparently, the skin cannot quite be brought together so it ends up healing the old fashioned way, by creating its own layers of tissue and slowly building up and filling in the opening. Other than that and two scabs that will probably fall off any day, my incision is sealed tight.
 
Does anyone has any experience with the pain in the back of the lower leg(calf muscles)It happens when I try to walk continuously. I go for a walk every evening and have tried different shoes but this pain is constant while walking. My work requires a lot of walking and if this continues I won’t be able to go back to work. I am 8 weeks post op.
 
I was not able to walk very far without pain at 8 weeks.
 
@Jockette I know we require lot of healing time. I usually don’t worry about the dull aches that continue to happen. But this pain is pretty intense and that too while walking. Any suggestions as far as pain medication for this kind of muscle pain? May be I can try that. It’s very frustrating.
 
I took 2 extra strength Tylenol (1000 mg) for several months, round the clock every 6 hours, to the maximum safe dosage of 4000 mg a day. I was able to take that much because I wasn’t on any other medication that had Tylenol in it.

But even this amount did not allow me to walk for long periods. There just wasn’t enough healing in my leg yet. We can only help things along so much in this recovery and then we have no choice but to wait for time to do it’s thing with healing.

You should talk to your doctor for more specific information about pain medication for this stage of your recovery.
 
@Jockette Thanks for the info. I don’t take anything for pain at this time. I have tried to ask my doctor but he just brushed me off. I can try taking tylenol like you said. I was worried about it’s safety as far as liver is concerned.
 
What a medication can do to us is always a concern, that’s why I rarely volunteer medication information, as everyone reacts differently.

I definitely needed some kind of pain medication for months and I did rely on Tylenol. It took the edge off but my knee flared up easily if I overdid things, for many months. Thus my thread title of drama queen. :heehee:
 
If anyone else experienced any calf pain while walking after TKR and have any tips please share.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom