TKR Roller coaster recovery of Jas

@Josephine Let me rephrase, as this is what I meant....."after simple knee surgeries such as some arthroscopic procedures." I left out TKRs because I know better. Next time I will be more specific.
 
Hi guys!! Feeling little down this morning. I am 4 weeks post op. I am so sick of this pain on the medial side of my knee and behind that part of my knee. When I wake up in the morning it’s so stiff and painful. My walking is still like a little toddler who is trying to balance and slow as a snail. Is all this normal? What can I do to make it better? When I sit in a normal position for a long time it’s very difficult to take first few steps due to pain. I do elevate and ice 3/4 times a day.
 
Last edited:
Also is there any spray I can use for soft tissue pain? I have a knot behind my knee right below the knee bend. My PT thinks its a tight muscle. I was thinking may be there is some spray that can help with this issue.
 
I know it's been a long four weeks for you, @mannbub .
Things are going to get better, though.

When I wake up in the morning it’s so stiff and painful.
Your knee is stiff when you first wake up because it's been still for a long time overnight, so it hasn't been making the synovial fluid that lubricates the joint - a little bit like putting oil on a stiff machine fitting.
Sometimes it helps if you bend your knee a few times before getting out of bed. At other times, your knee will loosen up after you've taken a few steps.
When I sit in a normal position for a long time it’s very difficult to take first few steps due to pain. I do elevate and ice 3/4 times a day.
When you say you sit in a normal position, do you mean you sit with your foot on the floor? If so, try to avoid doing that for long periods, Instead, elevate your leg whenever you sit down.

As for icing and elevating, don't restrict yourself to 3-4 times a day. Try to do it every time you're sitting down. Ice at the same time - for at least 45-60 minutes every time.

Have you been icing the back of your knee as well as the front?
Even though the incision is at the front, the whole of your knee was affected by the surgery.

There isn't any spray that will relieve the soft tissue pain. Those sprays only go skin-deep and your sore soft tissues are much deeper than that. Ice is a great pain reliever. If you ice for long enough, the cold will penetrate to your inflamed soft tissues, and that will help to calm them down.
 
@Celle Ya I am talking about sitting with my foot on the floor. So you think overtime it will start making the synovial fluid?
 
I do ice the back of my knee everytime I ice the front.
 
@mannbub I'm sorry it's so frustrating for you right now. You're actually very normal though. If you read lots and lots of recovery threads, you'll find many people were the same at 4 wks post-op. I was even worse off, but I'd had an early complication.

I know patience is tough to have right now, but know each week will bring improvement. Many swear the 6 wk mark is like a miracle change takes place, and others say 7-8 wks is a big improvement. You just still have a ways to go. Hugs!!!
 
So you think overtime it will start making the synovial fluid?
No. It's movement that encourages the joint to make synovial fluid. That doesn't mean you need to keep moving it all the time.

Your knee is also stiff because it's still recovering from the trauma of surgery.
 
Hi guys. So I have this loud clunk noise that happens every time I bring my leg forward to raise it or while walking when I bring it forward to take another step. It’s loud. It’s driving me crazy. Is it normal. I was trying to upload my video but file is too big so I can’t.
 
@mannbub I thought I was going to be one of the one's who didn't get the clunking, but mine started around 6 wks post-op when the worst of my swelling was gone. I'm glad I've read enough here to know it's normal.

I notice it mostly when I'm stiff, such as first thing in the morning or later in the day when the swelling increases after activity. It's definitely a weird sensation though. :whistle:

I'm also unsure if I "hear" it or if my body is just sensing the movement/vibrations (?)---knowing it's still new and foreign to my body. I've often wondered how others describe it and if they actually hear a sound....and whether others can hear the clunking too. So far, my husband and son don't hear a thing.
 
@Rockgirl4 Mine is very loud and clear especially when I am in a sitting position and do my leg raise using the quad muscles. I made a video and even my husband could hear it in the video. Also when I walk I can hear it every time I lift my leg up to take the next step. It’s annoying and also got me concerned hoping it’s nothing serious.
I am 4 1/2 weeks post op so I tried to go outside and take a walk yesterday (almost a mile) (granted my walk was full of pain and discomfort in the back of my knee)and this morning I had hell of a time walking to the bathroom . My pain was bad. I really feel disheartened at this stage of my recovery. Putting weight on my knee every time I get up especially in the morning shouldn’t be this hard . I think I can offset the weight by using the cane but then I read about all these people able to go out and about without any pain and any aide within 5 weeks or so. Sorry for my rant! Don’t take me wrong. I am happy for the people who are doing good. I just want to feel somewhat normal again and be able to take care of my house and kids and be able to provide for them.
 
Last edited:
There really aren’t that many people out and about and pain free at 4-5 weeks post op after a TKR. This is a year long recovery and one month is a drop in the bucket. Where you are right now is very normal for this stage.

Almost a mile is way too far to walk at this stage, as you found out. Right now you still need a lot of rest so your leg can heal. It was majorly assaulted during this surgery. Give it the respect and care it needs right now so it can heal.
 
Like Rockgirl4 I'm not certain if I'm actually hearing my thump, or just noticing the vibrations, but it's good to know it's a normal thing, even if it is weird as all get out.

There's no benefit to comparing your progress to other people. It is what it is. Healing takes time. Ice is your friend.
 
@Rockgirl4 @luvcats You guys are right that I need to be more patient with this recovery. It’s very hard not to compare yourself with others as it only does is cause misery. Oh boy I never knew it could be this hard. I guess not knowing before hand what this recovery involves is a bummer.
 
I do elevate and ice 3/4 times a day.
I elevated and iced the whole time I was sitting or lying down for the first 6 weeks or so. This lowered the swelling and pain and pain med requirements.

I still have the clunking. Of course, I don't have a kneecap to muffle the sounds, so it's pronounced. Other people can hear it if I'm close enough to them. It doesn't worry me at all. Afterall, I can walk! That's a blessing.
 
Hi guys!! I am 7 weeks post op and having issues with my incision not healing properly. It has been spitting sutures for the past 10 days. I saw my surgeon on August 6th. He said that my body is reacting to sutures. Even though different spots have been oozing he said he is not worried. It will just take longer to heal. My incision does not look pretty. Anyone had a similar experience or any advice?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom