TKR Robotic Arm Assisted TKR 30 Oct 2023

If you can get in and out of the car OK, I bet your bend is better than 70 degrees. One therapist can measure you at one number and another one another number. It's more of a judgment thing. Measuring is not consistent because the placement of the goniometer can differ quite a bit.
 
I do wish they had been a bit more realistic about the recovery and issues before the op, as think mentally I would probably have coped better.
I agree! So often we think something is wrong, only to find out it’s normal. Also, without being given appropriate information it sets us up to have unrealistic expectations, which can cause us so much stress.
 
If you can get in and out of the car OK, I bet your bend is better than 70 degrees. One therapist can measure you at one number and another one another number. It's more of a judgment thing. Measuring is not consistent because the placement of the goniometer can differ quite a bit.
It’s a Mercedes Vito van which means much less bend is required to operate.
 
But, you still have to get in and out of the car! I found that the hardest thing to do when I could finally drive again.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wishing you perfect healing in the coming months and a great 2024!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
@Helinutz
 
Thank you Layla, and to you.
Latest Physio is assisted 85 degrees. The plan ( well, aspiration really) is to achieve 90 degrees before I see my surgeon on the 30th of this month. Physio is hinting that MUA may be the right choice, especially as the swelling isn’t too bad now and pain wise I’m ok unless pushing it.
Walking with just 1 stick now and can manage about a mile although much slower than I used to go obviously. Achey afterwards, especially at the back of the knee, but swelling is only slightly more than before excersise.
One of the biggest things I have found that helps me is to warm up the area before any sort of excersise. I’m lucky enough to have access to a hot tub, and a soak in that with gentle movement before doing anything strenuous allows more movement than not warning it up. If I havnt got time for the hot tub, I have several heat packs that I use instead.
I’m optimistic and know I’m improving, maybe not at the speed I would like, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I went into this with rose tinted glasses expecting to hop, skip and jump within a few days of leaving hospital and that really wasn’t realistic.
 
Oh, that hot tub sounds wonderfu! I’m not quite ready to get in a bathtub yet but I plan to get there soon.
 
So after 3 weeks of hydrotherapy and other physio, its been decided to go down the MUA route.
Booked in for 11th March and have to say, im hopeful this can really help as its absolutely solid at about 85-90 degrees and something has to be done.
Will update once I have had it
 
Best wishes for a successful procedure! :flwrysmile:
 
Best of luck to you, Helinutz!
Please share updates with us afterward so we know how you're doing.
Have a nice weekend!
@Helinutz
 
We'll be holding you in our hearts on the 11th and waiting for your updates!
 
Well, geared up for tomorrow. Think it’s probably the right choice as ROM hasn’t shifted from 85/90 degrees since early January.
if i raise my leg at the hip and just allow my lower leg to fall under its own weight it’s like hitting a metal bar within my joint, so really hoping this will allow better movement.
on the plus side, walking is getting better and can def go further than before the op, so know the metal joint is doing what it’s meant to, just got to get the muscles singing from the same hymn sheet
 
I am 6 1/2 months out and had a Robotic assisted TKR. The surgeon explained the robot facilitated more precise cuts and less of them. This is my second TKR, the first was cemented and this one was cementless. I think the healing on this one took a bit longer than the first.
I had pain for quite a while at night. I used ice packs and Tylenol to get through the night. It is certainly nice when you no longer need those and sleep soundly. I used heat during the day and felt that helped me move easier. I also walked a lot and concentrated that each step was "proper". I had been limping and didn't even realise that. I suggest that when you go up stairs, take as much time as need, but just make sure your form is good.
Recently, I overdid it on my knee. I backed off my activities and used a compression type knee sleeve. That really helped and the knee now feels great.
I have never done PT and a firm believer in the "Bonesmart way".
 
Best Wishes tomorrow!
Will look forward to your first update post procedure.
@Helinutz
 
I hope tomorrow marks the start of a smooth recovery!
 
All done, back on the bed with a CPM machine. Pre op measure was 90, manipulation achieved 130 so well happy with that. Will push the cpm machine as much as pain allows today and order one for home tomorrow. I plan on keeping that 130 Bend
 
Your doctor was able to get that 130 using great force and while you were under anesthesia. It proves your knee has that potential, after it’s fully healed. It is unlikely that it will stay there immediately. Your knee will swell from the procedure and the ROM number will lower. Time and healing will allow you to get closer to that 130 eventually.
Will push the cpm machine as much as pain allows today
If you continue to do this every day you can create more swelling and inflammation which can prevent your goal of improved ROM. Slow and steady, gentle ROM movements will be more helpful.
 
you continue to do this every day you can create more swelling and inflammation which can prevent your goal of improved ROM. Slow and steady, gentle ROM movements will be more helpful.
Agree with @Jockette pushing to/ past pain is counterproductive and will increase swelling and inflammation.
I used gentle pilates based stretches for rehab and never pushed to pain.
My teacher says a little muscle burn is ok - but always back off if there is actual pain. Even muscle burn is too much in the very early days.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom