Guest viewing is limited

Right TKR soon; great hopes!

Is a torn meniscus completely removed during a TKR so that it will not cause me any further symptoms? I would love to figure out if I understood the surgeon correctly. I think he said that when he does the TKR it will also fix my torn meniscus in the process sort of automatically, since the meniscus is part of the knee. I will ask him in two weeks at my pre-operative appointment so don't worry if the question is too complicated or individual.
Yes, the torn meniscus is completely removed. The lower end of your femur and the upper end of your tibia will have bone and cartilage cut away and the ends will be re-shaped to fit the artificial knee components.
This article may help you to understand what happens:
Knee replacement surgery types and suggested videos
 
I have a laptop stand similar to that. I love it.
Oh, do you have a foot lift strap? I didn't need one long, but if you're going to try to have a lounge doctor pillow under your leg in the recliner, you may need some added lifting power. I just used one of my husbands old belts with a loop in the end.

I love YouTube. I'm a huge fan of TED talks as I get smarter again.

I love the Instant Pot! I borrowed a friends and we made a huge batch of spicy chicken. You're from LA, so you probably like spicy. It's just some boneless, skinless chicken breast and a jar of your favorite salsa. Cook for about a half hour, which is a long time for an instant pot. You want the chicken to shred easily. I usually dump it into a larger pot to shred with forks, while I sit in my kitchen chair by the stove, and then dump in more salsa at the end if it seems dry. That chicken is great over rice, over oven baked fries, in a tortilla, scrambled into eggs, on a salad...it's very popular here. Also I pre cooked and peeled several dozen eggs. They'll keep a while. I like them with hot wing sauce. An excellent protein snack in this weather.

What foods are you prepping? I'm looking for ideas for September.
Yes, I just recently got a foot lift strap and the Lounge Doctor. I haven't tried it on my recliner yet, but it does seem like it would be hard or impossible to lift my foot that high without the foot lift strap.

I do love spicy foods, but having lost 53 pounds from 3/2018 to 3/2019 by eating 1200 calories/day and low moderate carbs (~130/day) also, for a year, I'm always so hungry that anything tastes divine to me. LOL But so far I am maintaining that loss, more or less. I do better with my weight when I eat plain, healthy foods rather than cooking anything fancy.
 
Last edited:
Yes, the torn meniscus is completely removed. The lower end of your femur and the upper end of your tibia will have bone and cartilage cut away and the ends will be re-shaped to fit the artificial knee components.
This article may help you to understand what happens:
Knee replacement surgery types and suggested videos
FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for the info. I thought that was probably the case but that was just from guessing, so it's great to find out more. This puts my mind at ease, thanks. :loveshwr: I'll go read the information you linked to, now.
 
Last edited:
53 lbs is AMAZING!!!! Congratulations! I know exactly how hard you've worked for that because I've lost 70 since October. I still have a long way to go. I'll admit that I've been secretly disappointed that I'm not one of those people who lost their appetite from pain and medication. Nope! Still hungry! lol Do be sure to talk to your surgeon and maybe also your primary care about extra caloric needs or other nutrition to optimize your recovery.

And stay off the scale the first few weeks of recovery. You're going to swell, possibly a lot. It's not you, its just fluid, but it can be a shock if you aren't expecting it.
 
53lbs off is fabulous! I’m sure you feel the difference in your knee. Plus, you lost it slowly which means you’ve changed habits and not dieted. Keep at it!
 
Thanks, @KarriB and @luvcats ! And congratulations to you, luvcats, for losing 70 pounds since October. That's simply wonderful!!!!
:wowspring:

KarriB, amazingly my knees got much worse after losing weight. I think they are probably better than they would have been otherwise, though. One silver lining to that cloud is that FINALLY after 20 years of doctors telling me that my knee problems would be solved if I just lost weight, finally this surgeon is taking me seriously since I did it and my knees actually got considerably worse than they were.

Weight loss is so hard, and as we all know, for many of us losing weight when you can't exercise is even harder. But I have found that for me, the best way to lose weight is to just totally ignore what other people tell me will work for me, because it won't. We all know our bodies best, and what reasonably healthy approach works for us, so that is what I do.

I need to lose another hundred pounds, I know, but I am taking a break from weight loss for a while and just trying to maintain. I can't even get on the scales right now very easily, because of my knees but I still manage to weigh weekly, more or less, for maintenance. The fact that it is painful to get up, go to the frig, and get a snack, has been very helpful in maintenance! (grin)
 
I ordered the same ice machine as you and it served me really well thru both my knee replacements. A friend gave me a power recliner and while I did not need it to lift me up, the endless reclining positions and near flat extension really helped me when the bed was not comfortable yet.

I was able to wash up at the sink from day one and I used these waterless hair caps until I could shower.

Amazon product ASIN B07BKMWX7D
They really did work well.

Wishing you the best thru this and great knees!
 
@jeffjob, thank you! I am so glad to read that that ice machine is a good one. I wasn't sure so this is very encouraging. I like that people put nearly full bottles of water in the freezer, and then put them in the ice machine since they should last a few hours and be easier and less drippy than ice cubes to transport from the freezer to the machine. I will probably order those waterless shampoo caps too, plus I am planning to get my hair cut pretty short the week before surgery.

I slept for several hours in the recliner last night (by accident) and then moved to my bed to sleep for the rest of the night. Much to my surprise, I felt like I slept better and was in less pain, sleeping in the recliner. Maybe I can transition to sleeping in the recliner now, which could make it easier on me after surgery.
 
I think this :censored: torn meniscus, while a far milder experience than recovery from surgery, still is training me a little bit for what is to come.

This morning I started my laundry, and immediately went to ice down my knee. Then my sweetie came over and offered to help with the laundry, but it was already started and he had to leave for his part time retirement job (that he does for extra spending money). We agreed that if I couldn't transfer the clothes to the dryer, he would do it after work.

Well OK, I just put the clothes in the dryer and just doing that, after setting up my "recovery nest" last night, was too much for my knee and so painful. Through the roof! That is silly since I have a laundry cart so it wasn't much standing or work, but it is what it is. I think there may have been a little (very minor) knee twisting involved which probably was why it hurts so much. :tantrum:

I am pretty sure now that I am going to have to get my sweetie to do all the laundry for my first few weeks after surgery. He won't mind that as much as I will. :rotfl: Sometimes I tend to be independent to a fault if I don't guard against that.
 
I made sure laundry was caught up just the day before surgery so my beloved wouldn't have to do it for a while.
I won't sugar coat it. The first week, week and a half, getting up to pee was almost too much activity! lol Let your loved one care for you.
 
@luvcats, thanks, good suggestions. I have enough clothes to last maybe 2-3 weeks without doing laundry so that sounds like a great strategy for dealing with laundry at least for the first couple of weeks. After that my sweetie will help out. Given the level of pre-surgical pain, well, I figured the pain after surgery has to be even worse for a little while. :gaah:So I bought a portable commode to use after surgery, to help me out if I can't walk that far. If I don't need it, I won't use it and then later I can donate it to charity or something. But if I do need it, I can put it right next to my bed or recliner (haven't decided which would be best!).

Today I had to go to get a chest x-ray and EKG, in order to be cleared for surgery. I went to a small auxiliary location of my hospital to get it done, with a parking lot right by the door and a ramp so that was not a problem. PLUS, this morning started out as a super "good knee day" so I thought this was great.

[whine]
But gosh, just walking inside the little auxiliary facility was tough and then for the chest x-ray they wanted me to stand. Yeah, uh huh. There was an overhead bar I could hang on to, but still it seemed like it took forever and I was in so much pain. Then down the hall to the EKG room, oops, wrong room, let's go to the other end of the hall. :sigh: They did the EKG, lying down (thank goodness), and then I got to come home. My knee is just so painful I cannot even describe it. But I guess people here know about knee pain. It feels like somebody set off a bomb inside my knee or something. Well, sort of.

Really this is a GOOD thing that my knee pain is so much worse lately, because it shows me that I really have no choice and need to go through with this surgery. I just can't live like this; it's either surgery or a nursing home and I refuse to go to a nursing home at my (relatively?) young age.​
[/whine]
Sorry about all the whining. :blackcloud:I don't know anyplace else where I can do that and I really appreciate the opportunity to vent. So now I'll stop whining and start icing down my knee instead. LOL Sounds more productive.
 
Last edited:
My meniscus tear was the last straw that led to my first tkr. I well remember the misery. Not much to do for it while you're waiting for the surgery other than what you're doing, icing and pacing your activities. Not too much longer to wait though!
Sounds like you're getting your nest organized.
 
Thank you, @kneeper ! I had no idea you had a torn meniscus too and I am sorry you went through this. It is difficult to believe the level of pain the meniscus tear gives me, if I don't "baby" that knee a lot. Since you had the same thing, you know just what I mean. Even worse is trying to do things without putting much weight on that leg (which can only tolerate a tiny bit of weight right now, maybe 5 pounds? I don't know). If I ever get to the point where I can put some weight on that leg again, I will be so grateful.

Right now the only way I can figure out to get into my walk-in shower, over the 3" threshold of it, is to back in so that I can put all my weight on my rollator walker (with the brakes on) while I take that one step to get in. Living alone, it scares me silly to be stepping into my shower backwards because I am afraid of falling. So, I have been mostly doing sponge baths instead.

Yes, I think my "nest" is just about organized, and as far as I know, my pre-surgical lab tests are all done.
 
Yes, anything jarring the knee was terrible. My knee got very unstable with the tear. (I probably should have been using a cane but was too "proud." Not smart.)
I had to wait several months (due to my job) for the surgery. The first time I stood up after my surgery it felt so much more strong and stable. Yes, it was swollen, had to heal etc. but I sensed it was going to be so much better.

Do you have a grab bar for your shower? Even though it is a walk-in, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one right at the entrance to help for that step in.

I had a bath bench that I used for my tub shower when I was recovering. I wonder if something like that would work for you? You sit down outside the bath and then swing your legs into the shower area.
 
The first time I stood up after my surgery it felt so much more strong and stable. Yes, it was swollen, had to heal etc. but I sensed it was going to be so much better.
THANK YOU! This sounds like a dream come true. Just a little hope like that will mean so much.

My meniscus tore on May 13th of this year, somehow while I was asleep. Now I do toss and turn a lot, but not enough to tear my meniscus! LOL I read somewhere that it can happen in older people just due to further deterioration of a knee with a lot of degenerative arthritis, so maybe that was the cause. I waited for a month before seeing a doctor, hoping it might just somehow get better (but all it does is get worse). So anyway, by the time my surgery date comes up, it will have been three months with a torn meniscus for me, too.

Do you have a grab bar for your shower? Even though it is a walk-in, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one right at the entrance to help for that step in.
Yes, I have the best grab bar imaginable, a thick, strong vertical grab bar right inside the entry on the right hand side if I am moving forwards into the shower (left hand side if backing in). My sweetie and I joke that it must be anchored to the center of the earth, because it is so strong and stable (it was put there by the prior owners of my home). But even with that I can't seem to manage going in forwards, for that one step when my right knee needs to bear some weight.

I had a bath bench that I used for my tub shower when I was recovering. I wonder if something like that would work for you? You sit down outside the bath and then swing your legs into the shower area.
I don't know.... the shower door is a bit narrow so I don't think there would be room to swing my feet inside with a transfer bench taking up most of the doorway.

Lately I have been thinking, hey, exiting the shower is a piece o' cake since I am going forwards and leaning on my rollator just outside the shower. Maybe I could put my rollator inside the shower, lean on it to get inside going forwards instead of backwards, and then once inside, turn it around and put it back outside before turning the water on. But I haven't actually been brave enough to try it.

I only have 3 more weeks until surgery. Right now my tentative plan is to continue with the sponge baths, and then once a week or so, ask my (long time, very dear) sweetie to be here while I shower, for safety. Maybe he can help me get into the shower.

Speaking of my sweetie, he is bringing a nice hot take-out lunch to me right now. Don't know what I"d do without him! Luckily don't have to find out.
 
Last edited:
I was thankful for a walk in shower after my TKR because swinging that leg over a tub could’ve been a disaster, but a grab bar is definitely a help.

A friend did my washing and drying during recovery, but I did the folding. It gave me something to do while elevating. So if you can direct hubby for a while he’ll have a new set of chores perfected!

I totally understand how hard it is lose weight. I’ve lost 65lbs over two years and still want to lose 50 more.
 
I was thankful for a walk in shower after my TKR because swinging that leg over a tub could’ve been a disaster, but a grab bar is definitely a help.
It should be great, once that leg can support some weight, and the grab bar will help a lot. :yes:

A friend did my washing and drying during recovery, but I did the folding. It gave me something to do while elevating. So if you can direct hubby for a while he’ll have a new set of chores perfected!
Since I live in New Orleans, and it is hot here, I just wear gym shorts and ladies' t-shirts nine or ten months out of the year. The t-shirts look better if hung up, but the gym shorts don't need any attention and nothing needs folding except towels. And all he will basically have to do is empty the laundry basket into the washer, turn it on, then move every single thing from the washer to the dryer, turn it on, get the clothes out of the dryer and that's really all. He already knows how to do that much with my machines (since his washer is presently broken and he has been doing his laundry over here), so he already knows how to do it. And, he doesn't mind. :yes!:

I totally understand how hard it is lose weight. I’ve lost 65lbs over two years and still want to lose 50 more.
I agree completely. I think that losing weight is probably the hardest thing I have ever done. Until about 3-4 years ago, I used to work out hard at the gym to give my metabolism a boost when I was losing weight. I'll be so happy if/when I can do that again some day. Not right away after surgery, of course! I am thinking in a few years. But meanwhile, counting calories and carbs does work for me as long as I don't listen to other, more active people telling me that I'm not eating enough. :heehee:
 
Last edited:
Given the level of pre-surgical pain, well, I figured the pain after surgery has to be even worse for a little while. :gaah:So I bought a portable commode to use after surgery, to help me out if I can't walk that far. If I don't need it, I won't use it and then later I can donate it to charity or something. But if I do need it, I can put it right next to my bed or recliner (haven't decided which would be best!).
Unless you are very immobile now, you shouldn't need a commode. You won't be bed-bound/chair-bound.
You will be able to get up and walk to the bathroom before you're discharged from hospital.

Walking to and from the bathroom is part of your rehab. It's suitable exercise for your knee in the first few days post-op.

And you shouldn't be discharged until your pain is under control.

If you use a commode, think about who's going to empty it. Do you want to ask your nearest and dearest to do that?
 
The week before surgery I went to Walmart and stocked up on all the non perishable items I thought I would need for a couple of months. I figured the less we had to shop for, even a month or two after surgery, the better. I especially bought items I was particular about.

My husband actually shopped pretty well without me. (He’s come a long way since his younger days when he would hyperventilate in a grocery store!) He had no problem asking for help finding things. But it was nice that he only had to get a few things at a time, and my stock lasted us quite a while.
 
Last edited:
The week before surgery I went to Walmart and stocked up on all the non perishable items I thought I would need for a couple of months.
That is a great idea. In my case, I'll modify the approach, though, since I haven't been able to walk through a store as big as Walmart (or even as big as Walgreen's) for years, due to my knees.

To explain my reason for modifying my approach, I need to mention that have had bad knee trouble since an injury in 1997 and it just keeps getting worse. And then in May I got that torn meniscus too. By now this one time "gym rat" has to sit in a chair almost all the time and can barely hobble 20-30 feet even with my walker. Because of the torn meniscus, I use my Euro style rollator walker essentially as crutches are used; that leg barely touches the ground, on tiptoes, since the knee won't straighten and won't bear weight. I use my arm strength to power through that part of my stride until I can put my other foot down solidly. Both knees have bone on bone deterioration, but the knee on the leg that doesn't have a torn meniscus, is even worse in that respect than the knee with the torn meniscus. I am doing the best I can.

BUT - - what I have been doing all this time about non-perishables is ordering them from Amazon Prime about once a month. I used to be able to bring them in myself, but since my torn meniscus, I have had to rely on my sweetie helping me to get them inside from the front porch. Anyway what I can do, is order twice in the next three weeks, (before my surgery), which should give me enough to last for a couple of months into recovery before I have to deal with it again. Thanks!
 
Last edited:

Members online

Back
Top Bottom