BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Shopping on Amazon Prime Day July 15-16?

Make purchases through smile.amazon and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to BoneSmart!

Sign up at Smile.amazon.com and indicate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. All of the donation funds received from Amazon purchases are transferred to BoneSmart to help keep us up and running.

Right TKR soon; great hopes!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Carole4815, Jul 10, 2019 at 5:56 PM.

1. Carole4815

Carole4815 junior member

United States United States
    Today I saw a well qualified "knee guy" (board certified orthopedic surgeon who just does knees), for the first time and finally I have a date for my right TKR; August 13th.

I am so happy. I have been putting this off for years and I let things get pretty much out of hand. I won't bore you with the details but I have seen other knee surgeons before, but never had the surgery done. Anyway, not only have I been "bone on bone" in both knees for years and years, but in May I got a badly torn meniscus in my right knee which is getting worse every week. So, that knee will not bear any weight at all, or straighten, and it has a very sharp pain compared with the dull, agonizing, aching bone on bone pain which I also have in that knee as well as the left knee. It's truly a symphony of pain. LOL Finally it got to the point where I can hardly limp 20 feet with a walker, in agonizing pain whispering/squeaking "ouch! ouch! ouch!" as I walk, so embarrassing. Anyway it's definitely time.

The surgeon says that he will do a TKR on my right knee and that will take care of the meniscus problem at the same time. Once my right knee has recovered enough, he will do another TKR on my left knee. If both surgeries are successful, I am dreaming of some day walking with no pain and no walker, maybe even for a half mile.

I am 71 years old and live alone, but live next door to my sweetie (who also lives alone). We have been together for 20 years, and he is a wonderful man. He works part time for extra money in retirement, and we have lunch together every day (we used to go to restaurants for lunch, but now he brings take-out to me here at home). He also comes over for a couple of hours each night, we chat, and have fun. My plan is to read the material here about knee surgery for those who live alone, and try to arrange things to be at least somewhat self sufficient while he is at work or sleeping, although I will be relying on his help as well when he is awake and over here. I have already pointed out to my surgeon that I may need extended care after the surgery since I live alone. He says a lot depends on individual recovery time too.

I lost 53 pounds last year so my BMR is now 39, the lowest it has been in the past 15 years. The surgeon says that is OK because I truly need the surgery and he has done TKRs on heavier people.

Carole

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 6:11 PM
  2. jeffjob

jeffjob junior member

Carole; Congrats on getting your date and great planning for how to get thru this. Also, great job on loosing the weight, I understand as I had to do the same.

You will find lots of info here, specific to those who live alone. My wife helped me with meals and getting coffee for a few days but I quickly got the hang of how to do both with my walking aids.

I thought cleaning up (before showers were allowed) was going to be a big issue but I found I could stand long enough in front of a sink to clean up myself. And on day 5 when I was allowed to shower (wrapping my incision) I also found no issue standing long enough in the shower.

Ask away any specific questions you may have and I am sure you will find her here.

Good luck to you and I think you are going to do very well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Carole4815

Carole4815 junior member

Thank you, Jeffjob!! This is great information on exactly the things I was wondering about. How encouraging that you could stand in front of the sink, and in the shower like that! Believe me, from where I sit that sounds like such a tremendous luxury. I don't have any specific questions yet since I am a little overwhelmed (in a good way) by finally reaching my goal of getting a surgery date.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Carole4815
    Here's some reading that will help you prepare for your surgery:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Carole4815

Carole4815 junior member

Thank you, Celle! Very helpful information. :)

6. Tykey

Tykey Sr Bonesmartie

Don't overworry about how you might cope afterwards. My first knee was done 10 years ago, and I drove my wife up the wall by not asking for help.
    I can hear her now..
    " forheaven's sake sit down and I'll do it"
    "Where are you going now!!?"
    "You've left your crutch upstairs again, haven't you, why won't you ask me to fetch it!"
    "Why do you insist on making your own sandwich?"

Of course we have to take things steadily, and carefully, but with a positive attitude, you will manage quite well.

My consultant tells me that, for my second TKR next month (?), I'll be out of bed standing up the day of the op, and walking to my car to go home the day after. If I haven't lost my crutches by then

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Carole4815

Carole4815 junior member

Tykey, that is very encouraging! Thanks. After my right knee has recovered sufficiently from surgery, my surgeon says he's willing to do my left knee as well since it needs replacement too.

8. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes on your surgery. Definitely hang out here with us at Bonesmart, we’ll be with you every step of the way.

That’s so nice your sweetie lives right next door. It’s lovely to have someone special, but still have your own place.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Tykey

Tykey Sr Bonesmartie

In the meantime, batten down the hatches until your hurricane passes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carole4815

Carole4815 junior member

Thanks, @Tykey! The hurricane seems to be gone from New Orleans (my area), and we really lucked out. Hoping for the best in those areas still being affected by it. All we got was a little light rain and breezes but it was sure scary listening to those awful forecasts beforehand.

@Jockette, thank you! And I smiled at what you wrote about the arrangement my sweetie and I worked out for us. We really like it this way and have been together, "going steady", for over 20 years by now.Then a few years ago, the house next door to his went on the market and (after asking about what he thought), I went ahead and bought it. It's great, and all set up for elderly/disabled folks with grab bars in the bathroom, no steps, and so on.

Today I worked as hard as my knee would let me, trying to rearrange things in my den to turn it into the perfect place to be during recovery from TKR surgery. Even though I can't walk two feet without my walker, since I can't put any weight on my right knee, I can still move furniture; how about that! What a surprise, but I can slide it slowly across the floor without using my knee. Caveat: I am super careful so don't try this unless you are sure it is safe for you.

I had the money to spend, so I bought some things that might make it easier (even if they really aren't needed). This included my first recliner (after carefully studying the article about recliners on this website!), toilet riser and handrails, portable commode, sock assist, leg lifter, Lounge Doctor pillow, and so on. I think that's about it so far. My small den already had too much furniture in it, so I will be donating my sofa and love seat which I barely use in order to make room for the recliner when it is delivered. There will be less to bump into with my new knee, and I wanted to do this anyway, surgery or not. My sweetie assembled my toilet handrails for me today, too. I tried! But he is better at doing things like that, than I am, and he did it perfectly and got it installed and in place. He is such a keeper. :yes!:

He may possibly need a THR once I get done with both my TKR's, but he is dragging his feet about it, and really not in much pain, so the plan is for him to wait until after I recover from my two TKR's and then decide what he wants to do.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 4:47 PM