TKR Right knee rehab

Sounds great! And it sounds like you are aware of the temptation to overdo, so that’s awesome! Keep up the good work.
 
I felt pretty good today - and therefore overdid it. Some laundry, changing the bed, cleaning up a bit, watering/feeding the plant-- then a "quick" errand that involved about 15 minutes on my feet. Needless to say, I'm not elevating, icing, and reading through the threads. My impatience got the better of me today. (Sigh). Lesson learned, once again.
 
One more positive step: okay to drive (although he seemed surprised that I asked permission). Anyway, one step forward. The ironic thing is we bought a new (new to me) car the day before my surgery - so, I've never driven my jaunty new car! I'll practice in the driveway. :)
 
It's so nice being able to drive myself to PT and to do a few errands! Speaking of PT, yesterday I had someone filling in (my usual guy is on vacation). First thing is he wanted to see my bend the knee on my own - it was stiff, and only went to 90 degrees. It's still a tad swollen. He said the scar tissue has attached to my knee (or something) and that's preventing flexibility. He vigorously rubbed the scar and said I should do the same a few times a day. I did, and yesterday my knee was swollen, hot, and uncomfortable - so today I've basically done minimal, except for some walking. Is this something that can happen? Scars overtaking the knee and surrounding tissue? It's got me a bit worried (yet again). Thanks!
 
Hi All - I'm at about 7 weeks post surgery, and I put more ice on at night than during the day, or so it seems. It seems to calm the discomfort, and then I get some sleep. I've gone from getting up every 2 hours or so, to maybe 3 times a night, which is great. And, of course, if I do too much, the knee swells up, turns colors, and heats up.
 
That all sounds pretty normal, @Atkinson8 .
I like the way you're using ice to make your knee more comfortable, so you get more sleep.
 
Speaking of PT, yesterday I had someone filling in (my usual guy is on vacation). First thing is he wanted to see my bend the knee on my own - it was stiff, and only went to 90 degrees. It's still a tad swollen. He said the scar tissue has attached to my knee (or something) and that's preventing flexibility. He vigorously rubbed the scar and said I should do the same a few times a day. I did, and yesterday my knee was swollen, hot, and uncomfortable - so today I've basically done minimal, except for some walking. Is this something that can happen? Scars overtaking the knee and surrounding tissue?
That therapist was wrong. Don't let him near your knee again.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

No, scars don't take over like he said and there is absolutely no need to rub your scar and try to mobilise it.
Your knee was stiff because of remaining swelling, not because of some story he believes.
 
I agree with Celle, you have trouble bending your knee because of swelling, and his “therapy” further irritated your swollen and healing knee. I dont know where some of these people get their information from. :doh:
 
At PT yesterday, someone filling in for my vacationing person stated something interesting when I could only bend my knee (without help) 90 degrees (which was disappointing. He said the scar tissue has attached to my knee, etc. and that's why it's not flexible. He vigorously worked the scar and area, and told me to do the same throughout the day, which I did - and then my knee screamed at me all night (swollen, red, hot). Is this something that happens (the scar situation)? I wonder what I'm supposed to do now? I go again tomorrow, so maybe I'll learn more. . . suggestions?
 
Oops, disregard, I didn't see the responses to my previous post. Thank you!
 
He vigorously worked the scar and area, and told me to do the same throughout the day, which I did - and then my knee screamed at me all night (swollen, red, hot). Is this something that happens (the scar situation)? I wonder what I'm supposed to do now? I go again tomorrow, so maybe I'll learn more. . . suggestions?
I'm going to repeat myself. This PT chap was completely wrong. Your poor knee is suffering because of him. I suggest you don't go to PT today.
Stay home and treat your knee to some extra rest, elevation and icing, to help it calm down again.
 
As others have said, no need to "vigorously" work on the scar. I did gently massage the muscles around the knee at times, which may have worked to relax the muscles. My muscles tend to be tight and so I think there was some "guarding" going on. But that's not a scar tissue issue.

Also, once you're at 90 degrees most doctors will tell you you're on your way.
Just for an example. I had a lot of swelling. It took me 6 weeks to get to 90. At my 6 week appointment my OS eyeballed it and pronounced my progress as fine. He then said to keep doing what I was doing. (Which was lots of ice and elevation and some exercises (though not as much as PT 's list wanted). Within a couple of weeks I had gained over 10 degrees--without changing a thing I was doing.

Take it easier for a couple of days to let your knee settle down and don't let the PT scare you.
 
Thank you kneeper, your experience mirrors mine so far. I'm back on track.
 
@VolFan0927 My ROM was about 90 out of surgery. It fluctuated for a while depending on swelling. I was only in PT for a few weeks, like I said, my hips couldn't handle it. But even at that the exercises were pretty simplistic, and having been a competitive athlete, nothing that I couldn't do on my own.
Once I started doing my own exercise at my own pace swelling became less of an issue & ROM just kept increasing. I got to well over 100 the 1st few weeks. By 6 or 7 months out I was around 130 I suppose. These are estimates, I never purchased the measurement tool.
But now, a couple of weeks from one year, my knee bends pretty much as it did before I had arthritis. I do still ice it sometimes. It does still swell sometimes. But it is strong. With my two bad hips & left knee not being so great either, I'd be lost without this replacement. I count on it more & more as my one stabilizer joint.
It was by no means a walk in the park. But it was also not the horrific nightmare recovery that some people had described as their experience. Actually, if my hips weren't so bad, I'd say, after the first week or so it was pretty ho hum. More of an inconvenience than anything else. I don't know if I just got lucky with my good experience but if this is the worst thing I ever have to go through in my life I'm thanking God!
 
@Atkinson8 The moderators give very good advice here.
I'm no stranger to PT having been an athlete my entire life. But the PT related to my knee replacement often made no sense to me and kind of defied logic at times.
While I would agree gentle massage is probably a good thing, rigorous massage on a joint that has just gone through tremendous trauma is one of those defies logic moments to me.
I'm certainly no Dr. or expert but It would seem normal everyday movement plus the exercise/PT we do would be more than enough to keep any scar tissue/adhesions etc at bay.
I will take the liberty to say, I am probably one of the most immobile members on Bonesmart because of my horrible hips and extremely limited abilities....I am unable to walk without the assistance of crutches.
And obviously, on crutches I'm not doing a whole lot of marathons. I've actually started borrowing a wheelchair if I have to walk too far because my arms are taking a beating.
So I'm thinking if anyone was going to have scar tissue/adhesion issues it would be me.
I don't.
 
Abbylayla - I thank you for your insight. So, both my hips have been replaced, and my left knee partially (7 years ago). I'm glad I know my hips are solid titanium, and strong. The PT backed off (maybe someone said something) and today I reached 100 degrees on my own, which is a personal best:). As of this week, I feel fairly normal walking, I'm working on stairs - that may be a while is coming, and the exercises at PT are more on strengthening rather than bending (thank goodness). I feel good! Nights? Still don't sleep through, need ice, but there you go.
No one has mentioned the scar thing again, so I'm relieved: again the roller coaster of PT and regaining normalcy - but I'm in a whole new place compared to two weeks ago!
 
Still going--- probably did too much today but I feel fine, the weather was perfect, did 5000 steps ( more than in a long time) by the end of today. Sleep is still interrupted several times, mostly because I need to get ice (which feels so great!). I thought I would be released from PT, but my OS approved several more sessions - I think it's due to ROM, but that too is proceeding well (at its own pace). I'm a bit more relaxed.
Now, it appears my husband has two knees: bone on bone. Yikes! He's 78, and has some health issues. It might be my turn soon to pay back all the patience he's shown me. I hope I can! But that's another story.
 
Update - I've been getting out and walking, and it feels good, although today I didn't go quite as far. Ice remains my constant comfort at night. This week will be 8 weeks since surgery, and I now know the whole ordeal has been well worth it. I have a long way to go however. I'll slowly start back to work next week (just a few days); we need to interview and hire someone new, I'll conduct a but of training, and I can zoom any meetings - the entry will be gradual. My September 1, I'll be back to work in full force (I'm a high school teacher), although I do hope we don't all have to wear masks this year - but we shall see. Thanks!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom