THR Right Hip recovery 6/1/23 anterior

Week 3: just back from 3 week follow up and all my new parts are in place and looking good. Today was also the first day where - somewhat suddenly - I feel I can walk a bit with a good, fairly natural feeling gate with decent pace. Very similar to my left hip which was replaced back in April - a fairly sudden and abrupt improvement. Unlike with my left hip, however, my right THR so far prevents me from bending forward enough to easily put in socks, etc. whatever that muscle is that goes from the groin area toward the back is apparently still righteously protesting the indignities of THR and let’s me know about it if I move even a bit in the wrong way. That caused some real pain several days ago, but it os getting a little better each day. All in all, both new hips have been a success so far. Based on my experience, I’d say if you have been fairly active and find arthritic hips are really holding you back from the life you want live, then do it with the understanding you’ll need some patience to get back on your feet and even more patience to ease back into activity over the course of several months with an eye toward a full year for maximum recovery. Now, of course, I’m not even close the several month stage yet, but I can just tell 10 weeks out on my left and a mere 3 weeks out on my right that slow and steady progression is the way to go.
 
Sounds like you are doing really well, @tanvat! Don't rush the bending, though -- you don't want to risk a dislocation. Slow and steady is indeed the way to go.

:flwrysmile:
 
I had an anterior approach and they had me bend down and tie my shoes in the hospital prior to discharge - as in a couple hours of waking up. Been doing that for both hips since Day 1 - but sometimes with help from my wife. They didn’t give me a 90 degree restriction - yikes, hope I’m not taking an undue risk.
 
@tanvat I, too, had the anterior approach for both of my THRs. I liked that there were almost no restrictions. I only had a restriction as to how much weight I could lift for a specific period of time. It was quite a while before I could put on my socks or tie shoes. I used a sock puller and bought Kizik shoes which one can put one without having to retie them. I still wear the Kiziks; they are good all-around shoes. I do not think you are taking an undue risk since there is not a 90 degree restriction with the anterior approach.

As you might note, my THRs were three months apart. My orthopedic surgeon required a 3-month span between the surgeries, and I think that was good for me. I think it is great that you are doing so well with yours having been only about 1 1/2 months apart. My recollection of my first THR was that it was a breeze, relatively speaking. When I had the second surgery, I had forgotten that the first few weeks were not a breeze. As you know from your first THR, after that first period of time, one generally starts feeling better relatively soon. One of the main things I learned from BoneSmart was not to try to rush my recovery. I took it easy and started doing things when I felt like I was ready. I have fortunately not had complications with either hip since the surgeries.

I agree with your suggestion that one go ahead and have a THR if it is needed rather than waiting until the pain is so intense that there does not seem to be an option. My pain was quite intense before I was able to have my first THR. I had scheduled it with the OS that did the TKR on my right knee; however, he used the posterior approach. I found out about the advantages of the anterior approach, and I had to basically start over on the waiting period. I had to wait two months to see the OS that I wanted to do my surgeries since he uses the anterior approach. Then it was another nearly three months before my first surgery since he is in such demand. My right knee is still constricted, and I am still doing PT; but my hips are great! Once in a while I will have a twinge in my left hip when I am sitting, but that is infrequent.

It sounds to me like you are well on your way to being able to get back to your activities this fall. Stay the course. Onward and upward!
 
Now 4 and one half weeks out and things are progressing nicely. Just back from a half mile walk around the neighborhood and I can tell I am close to being able to walk fluidly with no problem. I only walk the mile loop because I’ve made a deal with myself to wait to six weeks to start going longer because I want the bone to regrow more before I put more stress on the hip. Meanwhile, I’m able to do upper body, machine-based workouts without limitation, which feels great. Trend line is up. And it will be for the most of us on our bodies’ own time
 
Nearly 8 weeks out on the right and over 3 months on the left. What an amazing difference from the pre-surgery situation. Can walk at a normal pace with a normal gait. Easing back into lower body workouts and steadily regaining strength, endurance, and ROM. So far, not real setbacks - recovery has been pretty phenomenal. Doing a 3 day canoe camping trip
this weekend (along with turning 50) to gently get back in the groove of what I love to do. If you’re on the fence about THR - and if hip OA is really, truly affecting your quality of life, find a good surgeon and go for it. There is some risk, but with serious degenerative OA there is certainty it won’t get better. Be as fit as you can before surgery, view full recovery as a year-long process, and be prepared for the unpleasantness of the early days - it gets better and it’s worth it.
 
Thanks for the update and encouragement for those facing surgery.

A early Happy 50th birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday celebrating on your camping / canoe trip this weekend. Stay safe and enjoy! :wave:
@tanvat
 
Update and question re weight training. I turned 50 this summer with two new hips (April ‘23 and June ‘23) that have given me my life back. If you’re in the fence, step off of it and go for it!

My question is how much lower body weight training is too much? I’ve always been active (except the preceding 2+ years of hip arthritis) and have done weight training for functional fitness - not bodybuilding or anything like that. I do a varied lower body workout every 5 days or so that includes squats, leg press, deadlifts, step ups, plusnsome
Single leg balance work, etc- not all of those in one day, that’s just what is in the menu. I feel stronger and more fit than I have in years. I have no discomfort or really even any twinge if anything. I focus on moderate weight and proper form - 15 - 20 repetitions for a few sets that lead to real muscle fatigue. That said, I can’t find any conclusive advice about whether it is advisable for a 50 year old to maintain a moderate weight training regimen. I want to stay very fit for my overall health and to enable long-term enjoyment of the outdoor activities I enjoy. But I also don’t want to prematurely wear out my two new hips. My surgeon said they should last “the duration.” I know this is a nearly impossible question, but I hoping someone could point me to some resources with some additional, detailed information, articles, studies, etc on the topic.
I’ve researched quite a bit and it seems it’s a bit of an unknown.
 
I can’t find any conclusive advice about whether it is advisable for a 50 year old to maintain a moderate weight training regimen
I know this is a nearly impossible question, but I hoping someone could point me to some resources with some additional, detailed information, articles, studies, etc on the topic. I’ve researched quite a bit and it seems it’s a bit of an unknown.
Hello tanvat,
When your surgeon stated your hips "should last the duration" was he aware of your lower body weight training? If so, and you're willing to take the chance of needing a revision at some point due to wear and tear, go for it.
The only advice I can give is if any particular exercise / movement hurts...stop.
Wishing you the best in complete recovery and hips that last a lifetime.
 
@tanvat , I definitely understand where you’re coming from, as a 45 yr old who is very active. I really couldn’t get any straight answers regarding ‘wearing out’ my replacement parts either. I’ve heard everything from stick with walking and ADL’s from here on out, to just do whatever you like and it’ll last forever.

So I went ahead and just made some decisions for myself based on my desire to keep my replacement as long as possible and also to live my life and not miss out on things that make me happy. For example, I’m still going to hike, backpack, and snowshoe, but I’m not going to trail run anymore. I’m still going to ride my horse far and fast, but I’m not going to do 100 mile endurance races anymore.

I’m planning to still live an adventurous, active life while I still can, but trying to be sensible. Whatever that means! If you do find anything definitive about activity levels/types and wear and tear on replacement parts, please do share! Right now, I’m just winging it :tada:

It sounds like your healing is going so well! Congratulations on your new hips! I hope you have many, many years of active and fulfilling life with them :) Please do keep us updated.
 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! I’m now 8 months out from LTHR and 6.5 months out from RTHR. Recovery has been fantastic and I am still experiencing incremental improvements in range of motion. Aside from choosing not to engage in high impact movements like running or jumping, I have no limitations and feel essentially 100% recovered, though I know (from the incremental improvements) that deep healing is ongoing. Following up with my last post, it seems controlled lower body weight training is reasonable safe as long as you are training for functionality; ie not bodybuilding. Found an interesting study with load sensors implanted in THR patients to record forced exerted on the joint through the range of motion with various gum machine exercises at different weights and angles compared to walking at a normal walking speed. With the exception of exercises requiring rotation and torquing the prosthesis, most lower body exercises exerted no more force on the hip than walking and the authors concluded weight training with gym machines could be considered “low impact.” That is my unscientific experience, as I progressively increased functional weight training have no pain or joint soreness; to the contrary I’m objectively stronger and more fit now than at any point in the last 4 years and continue to feel better every month. Again, just based on my experience, if you are suffering with hip arthritis, find an experienced surgeon, do your best to be as fit as you can prior to surgery, and do it. It’s VERY likely your life will improve dramatically in the ensuing months and it’s almost certain it won’t if you delay. If you’re on the fence, make a New Years’ resolution to get your life back in ‘24. You’ll be glad you did! It’s a game changer.
 
Excellent update!!!!
 
yes, it IS a gamechanger:friends:
So glad you are doing well!
Hope your holidays are as Bright as your future!
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
Love your update and well said about making the decision for a THR.
Many of us feel the same way, even me at 8 years post op!
What a gift I gave to myself.
Congrats and Happy Holidays! :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
 
@tanvat it sounds like you're doing really well and you're listening to your body. You've figured out what you feel you can safely do for yourself and your recovery.

And I have to say, excellent advice to any folks that are out there on the fence. I know the folks here really helped me with my decision to move forward and get my THR. Definitely one of the best moves I've made! Please keep sharing your experience and progress. I'm sure your story can be very reassuring to someone who's either not sure about THR yet or someone who's had it but is still in those early days.
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom