Bilateral TKR Rhody on the Road to Recovery

I think you're being very sensible about PT, Rhody.
 
Another painful wake up - the 'blessing' I guess from being able to sleep pretty much all night.

I fear I may have over iced. There's a place on each knee where, when I put the ice on, it goes numb almost right away. It's under my bandages and I've been using a pretty thick towel, so I don't believe it's freezer burn...but maybe it is? Not getting the kind of relief I was at first from icing that area, in fact, it's almost a painful numbness that happens almost right away. Anyone ever had that? What should I do?
 
Did a nasty wrenching of the right knee yesterday, maybe the most painful thing that's happened since the surgery. Felt like I twisted/stretched all of the ligaments on the outside of my right knee. Had some issues sleeping last night because of the pain from that. Got through it though and by the time I was through my first cup of coffee and and a half hour after the morning pill cocktail, doing much better.

I think I may have perma-numbed parts of my knee from too much ice. It feels like, the muscle/outside layer needs ice, but when I put it on, the 'bone' layer seems to get almost numb/frozen right away. Does that ever correct itself?

Have now finished 3 of the 7 meds (Gabapentin, Omeprazole, and Meloxicam). Just 4 more to go. Acetaminophen finishes tomorrow and Senokot Saturday. Will leave just aspirin (morning and night) and oxy as needed.

Am supposed to start working 1/2 days on Monday, and still feeling on track for that. Although, what those hours are, I'm still up in the air about. I usually work mornings when I do half days...but thinking I may start later in the day. Fortunate to have the flexibility to move that around...we'll have to see how it goes!
 
Sounds like you are doing great! Hope my recovery is as smooth as yours. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
 
Sounds like you are doing great! Hope my recovery is as smooth as yours. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks, I'm sure yours will go well. Overall, feels like it's going well, but I still have a couple concerns. 1st, the massive wrenching I put myself thru yesterday and 2nd, the bone numbness. Can't fix 'stupid', so the first one, I'm probably just going to have to live with, but wondering if there's anything that can be done about the second.

Last night, after taking off the TED strangulation sox, my wife massaged my feet for a couple minutes and oh...my...gosh.... I've lived a very good life, but I think maybe that might be the best thing that's happened to me in years. I have a PT visit coming today in a few hours. As weird as it sounds...I feel like asking if he could just massage my my foot, ankle, shin and mid-thigh and skip everything else today.

Speaking of those sox...do we REALLY think it's necessary to wear these things all day every day for a month? I mean, what if I promised to do the ankle pumps every half hour, wouldn't that be enough? (Will def ask the PT guy today and my doc when I see him on Monday). Maybe this should go in the "Count Your Blessings" thread, but...after the initial wake up pain...even tho it's gotten a lot easier...getting those sox on is one of the biggest hassles of my day...
 
Speaking of those sox...do we REALLY think it's necessary to wear these things all day every day for a month? I mean, what if I promised to do the ankle pumps every half hour, wouldn't that be enough? (Will def ask the PT guy today and my doc when I see him on Monday).
I took my TEDS off after a couple of days at home. They were too tight just below my knee and I felt they were contributing to knee swelling. I thought they were doing more harm than good.
I did do plenty of ankle pumps and I made sure I walked around the house about every hour or so.

Although the hospital told me I had to wear the TEDs for 6 weeks, my surgeon didn't say anything when I saw him at 2 weeks, to have my stitches removed, and I wasn't wearing them.

Some people believe that the TEDs prevent Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVTs). Others say they make no difference at all.
TEDs Negative Research: Lancet 27th May 2009

I sometimes think that hospitals and surgeons advise wearing TEDs to cover themselves from potential litigation, should someone develop a DVT.
 
I can’t believe you’re even thinking about work!
Regarding the hose, I urge you to wear them for however long your surgeon told you to. The alternative, a possible blood clot, is much worse than the hose. Mine are on for six weeks.
 
They they do, @beachy , that they do! Although, they didn't look so great last night.

@InkedMarie - I HAVE TO think about work, mostly because I am soooooo bored :wink:
I'm so bored, I'm like "Chairman of the Bored". I keep re-formatting my med spreadsheet...just for something to do!

Spending quite a bit of time now, reading and typing on the computer, texting, and on the phone, aka..."all the same things I do when I'm working."
 
You are just so newly operated on.....if you go back and you can’t work, can you go home? I’m 3 weeks out and this is the first week where exhaustion is setting in.
 
You are just so newly operated on.....if you go back and you can’t work, can you go home? I’m 3 weeks out and this is the first week where exhaustion is setting in.

I actually work from home. My office is right outside my bedroom. So, if I 'go home'...it would just be moving from one chair to another. I've also talked to my boss and we're ok with the idea that, if I can't do work that much next week, we can change those half days off to full days off. I can also pretty much choose the hours I want to work, with intra-day flexibility.

I am definitely keeping an eye on the 'sudden exhaustion' aspect. I have had a couple moments where I went from good to totally exhausted...but still haven't had to nap. (Don't get me wrong...I love naps...but not going to take one unless I'm sure I will sleep) I think the key is a good night's sleep and I'm truly blessed (so far anyway) to be able to do that.
 
.I feel like asking if he could just massage my my foot, ankle, shin and mid-thigh and skip everything else today.
Yes you can ask for that. Keep in mind, you are in charge of what you do with PT, not your therapist! They usually make you over do things anyway.
 
I never wore Ted stockings, and neither did anyone else that I could see post TKR in the hospital, or at PT...I can imagine how awful it must be to put them on!
 
Woke up this morning, feeling like I had a brutal hangover. And had all kinds of vomiting with it. Called my OS and he wants me to be seen this afternoon as they say these are signs of an infection.

Knees look great and they don't hurt, but my head is still foggy and semi-upset stomach.
Anyone else been through this and any idea what I can expect?

Thanks
 
@Rhodyrhody you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread.

You did the right thing calling your OS. Please update us when you can.
 
Posted it separately as I was hoping someone would see it that my have had similar experience...
You don’t need to do that, the staff checks out all the new posts.

People who are watching for your posts will also read your new ones.

Keep in mind the reasons we need members to have just one recovery thread, as Jaycey posted.
 
Understood...just thought others would be more likely to see questions like this one. I still have an outstanding question on ice, too, that I was going to post in a separate thread as well, since I hadn't received an answer in this thread.

Thanks
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom