THR RGLieblein’s Second Recovery Journey

I’ll see what happens over the next few days. I was told it could take up to 7 days for it to take effect. I gave my doctor a heads-up that the lidocaine didn’t give me that initial boost, but he said he expects the cortisone to work. Of course, he wouldn’t prescribe the procedure if he didn’t think it would work, and there are never any guarantees.
 
I've read it can take up to two weeks for the full effect after a cortisone injection. So hopefully you still notice some improvement. :fingersx: It sounds like you have faith in your OS and he will not steer you in the wrong direction. Wishing you comfort and relief. Please keep us posted.
@RGLieblein
 
Today I saw the radiologist’s report on my injection procedure, and he referenced “a bony irregularity at the anterior margin of the acetabulum that contacts the undersurface of the iliopsoas tendon.” It may be the same bone spur my OS pointed out on x-ray during my first follow-up, and is clear to even my untrained eyes. If that’s the culprit, I’m guessing an injection will only provide temporary relief at best. My hope would be that it could be debrided arthroscopically. I know I’m “getting out over my skis” at this point, but I’m interested to hear what the doc has to say.

Ain’t hip replacement grand?
 
I think we all research as much as possible about every detail that involves our surgeries. Whether it’s an ache or something more serious we are so fortunate to have so much information at our fingertips.
So you are not alone in trying to get to the bottom of what is ailing you. And I’m sure your doctor will have the answers you seek.
When I changed surgeons a couple of years ago he told me more about my replacement than even I knew. Couple of zigs and zags he would have done differently if he had done the surgery but otherwise I was healed.
 
This is certainly a topic you should bring up with your surgeon. As you talk with him, be sure that whatever explanations and recommendations he makes for you seems logical. Like you, I would be concerned that this bony growth might be the cause of your problems. However, if the surgeon noted a bone spur, I’m wondering why he didn’t consider this as a possible issue…..
 
However, if the surgeon noted a bone spur, I’m wondering why he didn’t consider this as a possible issue…..
The thought crossed my mind too, because at my initial follow-up he suggested that the tendon might be rubbing against it. At a subsequent appointment he didn’t bring it up and instead offered up the possibility I mentioned previously.

I’m assuming he’ll read the radiologist’s report, but I’ll bring it to his attention nevertheless, as I’m a bit concerned about his level of focus. If I don’t experience any relief by Monday (the 10-day mark) I’ll let him know and see if I can get an appointment sooner than the 11/19 currently scheduled. I’m starting to feel this IP pain in my lower back now, and I’m getting impatient.
 
Sometimes we must be very diligent when dealing with doctors and make sure we ask plenty of questions. I hope you are able to see the surgeon sooner….it’s worth a try.
 
I sent my OS a detailed summary of what I’m going through and requested an earlier follow-up. He wants to get MRIs of the hip and my lumbar spine to get a clearer picture of what’s going on. Unfortunately, the earliest I could get the MRI appointment is 11/14, and then I’ll keep my scheduled 11/19 follow-up to discuss the plan.

So, another 3 weeks in a (painful) holding pattern. Trying my best to take the one-day-at-a-time perspective and not get caught up in rumination, but I’m so ready for all this to finally be resolved and get back to my life.

I’m looking forward to the day when I can say “I’m glad I did this.”
 
I hear you about wanting to get to the bottom of what you’re experiencing. Your approach of just trying to deal with one day at a time is good. At least you will have the MRI before you see your surgeon again and that is probably about as good as you can get in today’s medical world. It’s only a few weeks time and you will make it. Don’t hesitate to come here and talk with your fellow BoneSmarties when you need a little support. We will always be here and will truly understand what you’re going through because a lot of us have been in a similar position.
 
It may be the same bone spur my OS pointed out on x-ray during my first follow-up, and is clear to even my untrained eyes.
I don't understand why there would be any bone spurs in the hip area at all. Isn't that part of the reason for having a hip replaced? To get rid of the spurs and arthritis and worn/uneven surfaces? Maybe it's something else in there causing the pain. Ugh. I'm so sorry you are going through this. If it is a bone spur, can they just go back in and smooth it down? Hang in there. You will eventually get an answer and solution.
 
It may be the same bone spur my OS pointed out on x-ray during my first follow-up, and is clear to even my untrained eyes.
I don't understand why there would be any bone spurs in the hip area at all. Isn't that part of the reason for having a hip replaced? To get rid of the spurs and arthritis and worn/uneven surfaces? Maybe it's something else in there causing the pain. Ugh. I'm so sorry you are going through this. If it is a bone spur, can they just go back in and smooth it down? Hang in there. You will eventually get an answer and solution.
Same thing is going through my mind too, @barbloki. I guess the MRI will give a fuller picture.
 
I don't understand why there would be any bone spurs in the hip area at all. Isn't that part of the reason for having a hip replaced? To get rid of the spurs and arthritis and worn/uneven surfaces? Maybe it's something else in there causing the pain.
That’s my thinking too, @barbloki. Hopefully the MRIs will provide some answers. I chose HSS because they have such a great reputation and my expectations were extremely high. I’m starting to feel let down.
 
@RGLieblein … please try not to let this situation get you down. This is not a perfect world and sometimes the medical process has some blips. Surgeons are human beings, after all. Once you see the doctor, he hopefully will explain more fully and you’ll better understand what’s going on. The one flaw that most surgeons seem to have in this rush-rush business is that they often don’t fully explain details of why they do what they do. That’s why it’s our job as patients to keep a list of questions to take in for appointments so we can better understand about what you’re seeing on the imaging. Communication is the key to a good partnership with your surgeon.
 
Thanks @Jamie, you’re a peach!:)

Doing my best to keep spirits up—made dinner tonight in alternating shifts of cutting, resting, more prep work, more resting, cooking, eating, and now more resting! I typically do most of the cooking, but not so much lately. My wife (another peach) deserved a break.

I have a pretty long list of questions at the ready for my follow-up. My guess is that quite a few will be answered before I even open my mouth.

More to come, of course.
 
:snork: I love your attitude. And it’s good to use the distraction of a “normal” activity you enjoy like meal prep to distract you as you wait this out. You’re definitely on the right track, my friend!!
 
Doing my best to keep spirits up—made dinner tonight in alternating shifts of cutting, resting, more prep work, more resting, cooking, eating, and now more resting!
I can imagine its been difficult, it's understandable and I'm sorry for that. Waiting two-two and a half weeks for next appts can feel like forever when you're uncomfortable and uncertain of the reason why. Wishing you lots of comfort as you await the November appointments and hope you find answers and a solution that brings speedy relief.
 
An update as I await my MRIs next week…

My right hip (the “good one”) has been experiencing progressively worse groin pain since early October. Very different from the other hip, though—I have no problem lifting the knee or doing a straight leg raise, but sitting has become impossible for any length of time, so I’m feeling pretty debilitated right now.

I let my doctor know what’s going on and he prescribed a medrol dose pack to calm things down.

My hope is that the hip is simply over-worked and under-rehabbed as it’s been compensating for the other side for almost 3 months. Very difficult to stay positive but I’m doing my best.
 
Hang in there. I understand it's easier said than done when you're in pain and limited in what you can do.
I hope time flies and you receive some encouraging news next week. Wishing you comfort.
Please keep us posted.
@RGLieblein
 
Hi RG,
Noticing it is the anniversary of your five and three month THR's today. I know that you're struggling and searching for the origin of the pain and a way to resolve it.
I believe the MRI is / was this week and I hope you have answers soon. Wishing you brighter days ahead.
@RGLieblein
 
I met with my surgeon yesterday to review my MRIs, and the news is good: nothing in my left hip or lumbar spine that should be causing the pain I’ve been experiencing. Whew!

The left hip (2nd THA) has actually seen a lot of improvement over the past 2 weeks. I’m now able to put on socks, get into a car, even go up stairs with little to no discomfort.

The severe right hip pain is likely a result of the hip flexor begging for mercy after an extended period of compensating and guarding for the other hip, coupled with a lack of appropriate movement and nervous system amplification from all the stress I’ve been feeling.

The plan going forward is a resumption of PT (GENTLE, my OS was quite clear) and calming my dysregulated nervous system. I’m a yoga and meditation teacher so I have the tools—it’s just not always easy to use them on myself. :)

But structurally things look just like they should. As my OS said “From my perspective you can go running up and down the hall without worrying.” I’ll start with a few easy calm steps.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom