THR RGLieblein’s Second Recovery Journey

@RGLieblein I hope the shot will give you some relief. I fully believe in gentle PT. Like they say here, don't let them push you past where you can go. It shouldn't be painful. Just gentle and easy. Our muscles will eventually get where they need to be.
 
Wishing you comfort and best wishes for the injection next Friday. Please let us know how it goes.
We're here for you, "youngin" :wink:
@RGLieblein
 
@RGLieblein I also got an injection into my IP tendon. Like you, my OS thought my complaints warranted an injection even though I was only 6 months out from surgery. It was glorious relief. Although it only lasted 2 weeks, it was the next logical step both for relief and a confirmation of diagnosis (IP tendonitis.) Hopefully, it will do the trick for you, especially since the OS thinks it is from something "minor." My tendonitis was from cup overhang so we had to pursue other solutions but I remember how great it was to initially be freed from the groin pain. Best wishes to you next week. Keep us in the loop.
 
Thanks @Hip4life. I sure do hope my doc’s instincts are on target and the injection gets me back on the recovery track. I read your story in a different thread a few weeks ago when I was trying to get a sense of the “what ifs.” It sounds like you went through a lot and I’m glad you’re back in the game!
 
@RGLieblein The what- ifs can be paralyzing. I was just so tired of the pain and not being able to get back to the things I loved. That hope and faith there was a solution kept me going through each phase. If needed, I would do it all over again without hesitation.

The injection wasn’t a big deal and totally worth it. I am just really hopeful and excited for you that this might be the answer. Blessings.
 
My posts have had a lot of angst lately so I wanted to share something more uplifting…

I went to see a new PT today. Paid out of pocket and it was worth every penny. So good to be able to work with someone who can devote an entire hour to my situation exclusively.

Lots of work on the soft tissues, range of movement, very gentle strengthening and stretching for both hips, and without aggravating the tendinitis. (She agreed with my OS on that diagnosis.)

We also focused a lot on retraining my movement habits to strengthen and engage muscles that have been neglected for years because of how I was compensating for my deteriorating hips. Pretty amazing.

So, I’m optimistic that between working with this person and the upcoming injection, I’ll get back on a positive trajectory.

More to come next week.
 
@RGLieblein that sounds great! I'm glad you had a positive PT experience. It really does make a difference when you have a good PT. Remember not to overdo it. They have a club here for that. lol
 
@RGLieblein A good PT is a treasure. It shifts things into a positive direction and allows the confidence in your body to begin to build again. I agree: this and your injection should really get you on the right track. I’m so glad for your update.
 
This is fabulous news; I'm grinning ear to ear reading it!
 
Thankfully you're feeling more optimistic. Best of luck with the injection. Keep us posted! :)
@RGLieblein
 
Had the injection this morning and was kind of surprised that I got zero pain relief from the lidocaine. I typically hear about those first few hours of bliss the anesthetic brings, but that wasn’t my experience.

Could this mean that Iliopsoas was the wrong target for the injection versus, say, rectus femoris?

Hopefully I’m just an anomaly and the cortisone will do its job over the coming week.
 
Not necessarily. The two work differently. As you probably know the lidocaine is fast acting and works on the nerves. The cortisone is slower acting and works on inflammation. So it’s possible that you will see some effects once any inflammation is reduced even though the lidocaine did not provide immediate relief from pain. You’ll just need to give it a little time to know for sure. Do you have a follow-on appointment to discuss how the shot worked?
 
Thanks @Jamie, great point. I guess I was just really looking forward to a pain free block of time! And yes, my follow up is several weeks away on November 19.
 
I hear you about the desire for a little pain relief. It’s certainly understandable. I do hope this helps in the coming weeks. Hang in there!
 
@RGLieblein I'm so sorry you didn't get the pain relief you expected. Forgive me if you've already said this but can you take pain meds? Would that help? My surgeon has me on 3 Advil, 1 Tylenol, 3 times daily and 1 Hydrocodone every 6 hours. It seems to be work. I hope you can find some relief.
 
I think the cortisone can take a day or two to reap any benefits.
I’ve had 2 cortisone shots in my life. Once in my knee which was amazing & left the OS office ready to run a marathon & another in my shoulder about 7-8 years ago that didn’t help, just gave me a headache.
So not saying you won’t get relief, it just works differently on each of us as individuals.
Let’s hope you will get the relief you seek in next day or two.
 
@myglasshalffull I had a cortisone shot in my hip in 2023 and it didn't do a thing. But in 2020 I had one in my neck for a pinched nerve and it worked great. I wonder if it's a matter if getting it in exactly the right spot. I've decided not to try those shots anymore for pain because my ophthalmologist recommends against it due to glaucoma. Oh the joys of getting old! :spin:
 
I've had mixed results with cortisone shots. I had one in my hip a few years ago which did give me the initial pain free 24 hours (from the anesthetic). Then it wore off & that was that. Recent shots have been in the greater trochanteric (for GTPS/tendiopathy). Some worked, some didn't. So I do think it can be hit or miss as to whether they get it right first time. I hope it works for you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom