Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR revision number 2

Thanks @greatlakes I will read your thread i notice you're from michigan my DH is from there we just were out there in fact that trip might have been the final straw for this knee and drove me to finally get it fixed. sending you the best on your upcoming surgery
 
my revision was soft tissue impingement also and synovial overgrowth still not really sure what that is but oh well.
You should read this article
Patello-femoral pain syndrome (PFPS), fat pad impingement (Hoffa's Syndrome)

I went to therapy today and made it clear but nicely that I will not do weights and they said no problem. In fact they like when patients give them feedback like that
That's really daft! Why would they need feedback to tell them they are giving poor advice? As it happens, my surgeon told me to never use gym machines such as leg press and similar. Perfect tool to get problems.
 
Thank you @Josephine i read all the links they were very helpful. I am still babying my knee and have actually had noticeable improvement followed by going backwards a rollercoaster indeed. I especially could relate to the analogy of its like biting the inside of your mouth over and over that is the closest description so far
I was impressed with the surgeon who operated on himself:yikes: in one of the links now that is dedication! or pain! Thanks and have a great day
 
i just wanted a place to cry and this seems like it where others are the same. i had my second revision and seemed to be getting better it was in july and my OS said the pain would be gone by thanksgiving. around halloween i really felt like it was getting better. a week ago i took the train to visit the grand babies and my pain started somewhat suddenly its now on the inside (inboard) part of my knee a new place again. i could barely walk thru the train station to get to my car. I have an appt with my OS on monday but am in quite a low place right now. I wondered if any of the other revision peeps had anything like this.
 
While I do get some pains occasionally in my knee and some soft tissue aches when I do too much I don't have any pain as you describe. Every person and every person's knees are different. You did a lot travelling. I sufpggest a couple of down days with ice, elevation and Tylenol to see if that helps you at all.
 
thanks @newlybionic Im a little calmer now i just thought when he said no pain by thanksgiving i took it literally and thought NO pain but i am slightly better my knee looks like a lumpy mountain range but i guess thats the swelling it did look better at one point. i also wore boots i really love but I've had them since right after the original TKR so that might have added to the mix Somehow when i write things down on the forum it gives me perspective and i can calm down a little
 
If you haven't been icing or elevating at all I found that I still need to do it at the end of a long day. My old knee likes ice now too!:heehee:
 
I was still icing after teaching part time. I came home most afternoons to ice, elevate and rest at 4 months. My OS said it could take up to a year before I'd feel 100%.
 
Hi I'm still icing and elevating and also the heating pad sometimes. it has definately taken a turn for the worst. Im just happy i can go to the bathroom by myself at this point trying to stay hopeful and maybe i can get an aspiration and cortizone shot. i had that about a year ago before the revision and it was a miracle a four month miracle but it was amazing not to have pain for that short time. i know its not a good idea to go back into a TKR knee but I'm desperate
 
An aspiration is not a good idea with a new knee. The potential for infection is just too big a risk right now.

Here are some things I tried for swelling. A lymphatic massage therapist. My PT suggested this and I really thought it was silly. I went there and was prepared to run out the door. To my surprise she was extrememly helpful and it made a difference to my swelling.

I wore support hose for about a year---especially when I was traveling. We walk a lot more---train stations have long corridors and the support hose helped prevent swelling. I often cut the feet off them---or bought footless ones as they seemed more comfortable.

Get rid of your old shoes---I kept two pairs of dansko since they did not have a wear pattern on them, but any shoes from before surgery, especially ones you wore a lot, have a wear pattern that is different from your new knee. I found they hurt my feet. My husband thought it was all a ruse!! But I did get rid of many pairs of shoes and boots. I like the new ones better!!!

I used Aspercream on my knee. It does not smell and I liked it. My PT suggested the Capison (sp) cream, but my husband hates anything with a smell and the apsercream was unscented.

Finally, I read an article from a pt who suggested that if you got extra swelling, you would spend a weekend in bed with your leg propped up on three pillows. I did this several times and it was pretty effective.
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
 
I agree with Kelly! Lots of TKRs are still experiencing swelling six months out. Are you elevating toes above nose? Kelly used the pillows to get her toes up there. I would lay on the sofa and put my legs up on the sofa arm with pillows on the sofa arm. It really helped with swelling and at times I iced as well.
 
Hi Im not exactly a new TKR 2013 was my TKR 2014 my first revision for soft tissue and july this year my second revision for soft tissue so I'm not sure what you would call me. He said my metal and spacer were good and I'm 1 in a hundred that get this they don't know why.
I spoke to someone who had my original surgeon and he said he had this and they went back in 4! times to remove scar tissue.
I had scar tissue wrapped around my knee cap and also between the implants he said it was a fair amount when he told me it would be 4 months till the pain went away i was surprised but now its past that time and I'm sure there is something going on in there i suspect its the same more scar tissue.
I am getting rid of my new shoes and tried to do my own massage. Im not very active since i was trying to baby the knee this is just weird its defiantly swollen ( lol i just saw what sp ck did and its defiant all right!) anyway thanks you guys Im just waiting till monday for the verdict
 
My left knee which was a total revision still swells every day. I elevate all the time ago night. I try to ice as often as I can. My OS told me that I could have swelling for up to 18 months to some degree or another. The last time you had surgery was only 4 months another go so you have some another fairy tissue in there still.
 
Back
Top Bottom