Revision 4/23/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I don't get what the big deal is about just testing or at least notifying everyone so they can choose. In terms about the MRI, again thanks for the heads up on getting it done at Mass General, why don't they make sure they are using the proper protocol and the best people reading them. They have access to the people at Mass General. Or if they can't do it, send people to Mass General for the MRI even though they would not get the money for doing it at NW. 7K is a lot for an MRI, I will have to watch and see how much mine at MGH cost. I wonder if all the patients know about the recall. I never got a recall letter so if I didn't get one did others?
 
pt98n - Mass. General has a more sophisticated MRI than NW I was told. It's the machine itself that's different. I'm glad I was able to help!

Butterfly - co-cr refers to the materials used - cobalt - chromium. I have a Stryker ABG II which was recalled in June or July of 2011. When is your surgery?
 
It's more than about the recall and it's not just bad design, there's a lot more to it than that. You can read about it here where I explained it all before with pictures. In fact the whole ethos of metal on metal implants has been brought into questions, so much so that in March last year, the UK National Joint Registry issued an edict that MoM hips should no longer be used AT ALL.
 
Ruby Red, my surgery is September 30, 2013. I sure wish it could be sooner, but evidently the operating rooms where they do ortho surgery are all backed up -- maybe it is the onslaught of baby boomers like me!

Love and peace.
 
Ruby Red Surgery date is Aug 19th. Now just to have to get my primary care doc to get pre op stuff done. That should be the easiest part but what a problem to get a visit with her. I have been looking for a new PCP and after this problem with her a change is in order. Unbelieveable what I had to go through just to get a regular visit. Have been calling since last week, on phone 3 hours today and finally went down there to see why getting a visit is such a problem. Have a visit for tomorrow morning but seriously, what was the big problem. Good thing her office staff is good about referrals, faxing, etc.
 
pt98n - Wow! That's coming up quickly. This must be a lot to wrap your mind around since it was only a short time ago that you didn't even think anything was wrong.

I'm glad you finally got your pre-op appt. That's crazy that it was such a problem!?? My daughter is having a problem with her PCP and has to change also. Fortunately she just started out with this doctor so it's no great loss, just time consuming, and no one has time to waste!
 
It definitely is a quick turn around from "no symptoms, no problem" to " look at this on your MRI". My jouney with Dr Kwon only started June 28.

Saw my PCP today and it was like she was my best friend. All labs already ordered and will fax everything right away. Seriously, what was the deal about getting in then. Thankfully the office staff does all the organizing, faxing, etc and they are on the ball. They tried to get me in but she wouldn't let them unless there was a cancellation. Now there is someone I can depend on in an emergency. She has served her purpose right now, I will do PCP shopping later and that is not my favorite type of shopping.
 
pt98n - did you let Dr. Snyder's office know the results of the Mass. General MRI? I'd be interested to hear what their response was.

Josephine - I have a question about medication. My revision was on April 23 so I am about 13 weeks post op. I had been taking 800 -1000 mg. a day of Naproxin and, along with that, was gradually weaning off 50 mg. a day of Tramadol (25 mg. in the morning and 25 mg. at night). I switched to Tylenol because of concerns over being on NSAID's for so long. I have been on them for almost 4 years, fortunately without any negative consequences, yet. But Tylenol does nothing for me at all I am finding.

I am still having some degree of pain on a daily basis, enough that I'm pretty uncomfortable and need to use a cane because I limp without it. The pain is much worse for a day or two after physical therapy. On a scale of 1-10, I'm still in the 1-3 range.

I have gone back to taking Tramadol (25 mg.) 2-3 times a day in the past couple of days. The pain is in the incision area, also where the surgeon excised tissue.

My problem is that I have read that by this time I should be off pain meds. But nothing else works. Naproxin alone wasn't enough. There may have been a day or two at times in the past couple weeks when it was ok to just take Naproxin during the day. Then I'd take Tramadol at night. But after physical therapy, Naproxin alone during the day isn't enough. I go to PT twice a week and am supposed to be doing exercises on my own in between but am too uncomfortable to do that. It takes me the rest of the week to recover.

Am I under medicating even though I'm past three months? Should I increase Tramadol until I feel no pain at all? That would be ideal, no pain at all. 25 mg. of Tramadol doesn't seem to be enough at one time right now. And should I go back on an NSAID for a while longer. They were more effective than Tylenol.

Is it normal for me to feel so much discomfort at this point (3 months post op), especially after physical therapy. It doesn't seem like I'm doing too much because I'm sitting more than I'd like, but my activity level has gradually increased over the past few weeks (walking, light housework, running errands, etc.). Maybe I'm still doing too much and expecting more than my body can deliver right now.

When I saw the doses of Tramadol you had taken I realized I had been way under medicating before this, but is it still too little now considering my current level of discomfort. It's uncomfortable enough that it makes me irritable and tired and interferes with sleep. My husband said he'd rather I take the medication if I need it, than have me be so grouchy!

Sorry this is so long. What do you think I should do?
 
My problem is that I have read that by this time I should be off pain meds.
Where did you read that? Not on here, I hope! and remember, I had a knee replacement, not a hip!

As far as using pain meds and when to and when not to - I have a very simple philosophy: if you have pain, take the meds! What's the point in not doing it?

Couple of observations though
I have gone back to taking Tramadol (25 mg.) 2-3 times a day in the past couple of days - doesn't seem to be enough at one time right now.
Well, I'm not at all surprised! 25mg is not an effective dose. 50mgs is the usual minimal dose for most things and since the drug is only active in your system for 4-6 hours, taking it only twice a day is also pointless. You're exposing yourself to all the negative sides while getting none of the benefits of it. [quote="Ruby Red, post: 492611, member: 4417"Should I increase Tramadol until I feel no pain a]t all?[/quote] I think you should start off taking an effective dose of it, say 50mgs 3 times a day and see how that works. This is only a suggestion - I am neither a doctor nor a pharmacist so cannot really recommend.

Then you said you switched to Tylenol: but how much were you taking each time and how often? I've noticed many times that US members tended to take only one regular Tylenol which is 325mg and about as useful as half an aspirin! To get the best out of it, you really need to take 1,000mg at a time, 3-4 times a day to a max of 4,000mg per 24hrs. Again, anything less is exposing yourself to all the negatives while getting none of the benefits.
 
Josephine - :happydance: Yeah! I will start 50 mg. of Tramadol three times a day right away. I understand you are not a doctor or pharmacist. I thought after I should have rephrased it as "what would you do" so I didn't put you on the spot. Regardless, I appreciate and value your suggestions.

My doctor, prior to surgery, said I'd be on pain meds for only a month or two and then if I was still in pain I would likely be referred to the pain clinic. :what: Looking back on all this, I'm not sure why he would say that for a revision surgery. So I'll defer to your opinion, thank you very much!

The acetaminophen bottle I have is 500 mg. per tablet and it says to take up to 3,000 mg. per day. They are apparently erring on the side of caution but also rendering it ineffective. I'll try 4,000 mg. per day with more Tramadol and see how this new combination works.

I can't remember where I read about being totally off pain meds after three months, but I need it for now. I have enough to last me another month or so, so I am good to go. I'm not sure they will give me another prescription, but I'll cross that bridge when and if I come to it.

Thanks!!
 
:thumb:

it says to take up to 3,000 mg. per day. They are apparently erring on the side of caution but also rendering it ineffective
That edict was issued by the FDA early last year because they were 'concerned' about people who might be taking other medications and cold remedies that had acetaminophen added in the recipe. Nanny state ineed!
 
Ruby Red I did call Dr Snyder's office after my MRI results. I actually called before I saw Dr Kwon as I had a copy of the report so there was a problem. I was curious to what he would say too. I talked to his PA and he told me he talked with Dr. Snyder, he looked at my MRI and report, and was comfortable waiting and retesting in 6 months but if I started to have pain or any symptoms to call. I totally don't get that. Dr Kwon did not even hesitate, he said definitely a problem, will only get worse and need to do something soon. I have called back Dr Snyder's office to cancel my prior scheduled follow up visit coming up in December and told them I was having a revision with Dr Kwon and to give the message to Dr Snyder. No return call, but I didn't expect one.
 
pt98n That doesn't make any sense! You'd think they would know better. I'm glad you're getting it taken care of sooner than later.
 
Ruby Red I know, I don't get it either. As much as I don't want a revision, I definitely don't want irreversable muscle and bone damage. I am looking at it as new improved hip 2.0
 
[Bonesmart.org] Revision 4/23/13
pt98n, keep that positive attitude. It will make the whole revision process so much easier on you. These things do happen, and unfortunately they don't always happen to other people, they happen to us.
 
bottomshollow It's either look forward and deal with it or cry so I choose to go with it. I am actually glad that I decided not to wait and go with my gut to check it out. At least this time I am starting with good range of motion and strength vs last time I had none and tons of resulting soft tissue restrictions to get rid of.
 
Great thought pt98n...... THR v2.0... I like it... Keep the positive thoughts flowing :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom