Guest viewing is limited

TKR Released

I learned a lesson with the first knee replacement, that you don't let people push you and it takes a long time to heal. That is what I am doing now.
So great to read this! Glad you are noticing little improvements, too.
 
:yes!:
The kind of update that gladdens my heart!
 
Great update, VolLady! I like your point of view on all.
Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your inspirational updates.
@volLady
 
Hello warriors out there! Hope all is doing good.

Today was my first day to do garden and flower beds. I walked though my garden which my hubby put out this spring and planted some flowers outside. I am walking better now and today I noticed not once did my knee feel like buckling sensation. Also, I have not used my cane in a while. If I walk outside on uneven ground, I might use the cane or hold my husbands arm. I did that with my first surgery. I just wish the sensation sensitivity would go away around incision but I know it will in time. The first TKR was like that too and if I remember it took about 10 to 12 wks to go away. Zingers come and go which they will for a long time. Actually I had one the other day while walking on my first TKR in the numb area. I wasn't shocked even though that knee is 16 months. They don't bother me no more.

I assure you all there is a bright day coming and I know so because I have been there and done that.....and now I am done! Please, everyone, just listen to your body because you are the only one knows best for it than instead of someone telling you that there is a certain time for this and that, and there isn't! PT and doctors will scare you to death with numbers, gotta do this and that but you are the one in charge! I know and learned my lesson with the first knee. Every knee will be different than the other, that is if you have to have both fixed like I had to. Don't get me wrong, listen to your surgeon and please get one that you feel comfortable with and trust. I had the best and was blessed to have him to correct me due to being bow legged.... Everyone take care and don't worry about numbers, you will get there! Hugs to all out there and I feel your pain and struggle.....:)
 
PowerStep shoe inserts
Nice to hear someone doing so great, congrats, and what are these miraculous inserts? Is there just one kind or can you recommend one?
amazon sells them...
Yes, thanks, I see there are many different kinds. Do you have a particular recommendation? I understand if you're too busy with your recovery. Thanks and all the best :)
yes, I prefer the PowerStep inserts. You can buy them in a medical store or you can order them from Amazon,which I do. They were advised from my ankle/foot surgeon to get them because they are way better for the arch, gait,and planters of the feet. I am flat footed and I used them before my two knee replacements. They have helped me so much with gait and hip aches since I am aligned with straight legs now.
 
Hello everyone! 10 wks yesterday of last TKR. Thought I would let everyone know that my healing is doing great without PT,still doing it on my own. Rom is now 118-0....I am walking real good but sometimes struggle a little with down hill slopes. I have been doing some gardening and mowed some but hubby lets me ride not push. The swelling/IT Band doesn't bother me none now. This knee is totally different than my first surgery. It seems like it likes me..ha! When I over do,I ice and rest. I am so glad that I decided and my surgeon to do my own PT and let no one push me over the limit. I wish everyone a great journey in their healing....I assure you it will some,ROM and all....God Bless and Happy Fourth of July to all!!!
 
This knee is totally different than my first surgery. It seems like it likes me..ha!
Haha...made me chuckle. :wink: Glad it likes you!
God bless and a Happy 4th to you also, VolLady. Thanks for stopping by to share a great update!
 
You are indeed doing wonderfully. That's what we love to read.

Be careful, you still have a lot of healing to take place. Don't over do.
 
You are indeed doing wonderfully. That's what we love to read.

Be careful, you still have a lot of healing to take place. Don't over do.
oh I watch myself for sure! This isn't my first rodeo and I am blessed to have both done now. Also had a great surgeon to. I listen to my body now and at my age of 67,I finally know when to quit when my knee hates me...ha! Hugs to everyone out there that is going though this long journey but like I stated many times,YOU WILL GET THERE!:)
 
Hello everyone.... 12 wks now with my last knee replacement. Doing good at my age, still have some swelling, stiffness,and numbness, which is all normal for this surgery. I have a problem though that I wonder if anyone out there has had this problem to. Since my last surgery my legs are straight now and not bowed anymore. I have learned to walk the new gait now and I sure had some issues with hip and IT Band issues after getting the legs straight but I am now bothered with Planter's F.,in my right foot, the last surgical leg area. My foot on the bottom and heel throb like a headache. I had this same thing a couple years ago before I had TKR'S,and went to a foot/ankle specialist. He took x-rays and it showed a bone spur, and OA but he didn't say where at in the foot. Dumb me for not asking though! He gave me a script but later I could not take it.Caused a lot of swelling in my ankles. I am having the same problem now and I am wondering if my new gait and riding my bike is causing stress on the tendon.I also wear inserts in my shoes.At times I go barefoot around the house and I know that is a no no. Has anybody had issues with their feet or foot after TKR?
 
@volLady We've heard similar complaints about foot pain from other members and one solution that works for many is buying new shoes.

The shoes we wore prior to surgery will have uneven wear patterns that developed overtime. Since your legs were both straightened, those worn soles could be interfering with your gait and making your foot problems worse.

Have you replaced your shoes since your latests surgery? If not, consider doing so.
 
@volLady We've heard similar complaints about foot pain from other members and one solution that works for many is buying new shoes.

The shoes we wore prior to surgery will have uneven wear patterns that developed overtime. Since your legs were both straightened, those worn soles could be interfering with your gait and making your foot problems worse.

Have you replaced your shoes since your latests surgery? If not, consider doing so.
Oh yes! I replaced all my shoes with both surgeries. I think my PF is flaring up and bone spur in heel. Went to a foot /ankle specialist a few yrs., ago and it showed on x-ray a bone spur, and some arthritis in foot. I learned a long time ago to get new shoes..... I think inflammation is caused my me over stretching and it has affected my foot. Thank you for responding. Also I am doing great now at 3 months and no PT involved at all!
 
As one who had awful longlasting plantar fasciitis (no bone spurs) 40 years ago with a few minor flares since then...
Do you know the trick of making ice inside little paper dixie cups? You can ice the underside of the foot either by removing a little of the paper at a time or - what I preferred was laying the cylindrical ice "cube" on the floor and slowly rolling my foot over it.
 
As one who had awful longlasting plantar fasciitis (no bone spurs) 40 years ago with a few minor flares since then...
Do you know the trick of making ice inside little paper dixie cups? You can ice the underside of the foot either by removing a little of the paper at a time or - what I preferred was laying the cylindrical ice "cube" on the floor and slowly rolling my foot over it.
I've been rolling frozen water bottles over the sole of the foot especially the heel area. I do have a bone spur and arthritis in the foot and also flat footed. I think what has bought this on is me stretching my hamstrings and quad exercises and sometimes going bare footed in the house. At night it throbs like crazy where the heel and large tendon that runs down the middle of the foot.,which is PF area. I am gaining more bend in my knee since the swelling is going down around the quad area. I know one thing, this last knee replacement is a lot different than the first one and have only been to PT once after surgery, which they also damaged my replacement with harsh treatment.... Hugs to everyone!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom