Guest viewing is limited

TKR Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I continued with PT for a while longer. My normal guy finished his doctoral rotation today, and pretty much has seen me the whole way through. I got to say my goodbye's and wish him luck. His spv, the DPT on staff worked with me today, and did a great job too. She turned me on to the foam roller for my IT band stretch today, and man was that great! It hurt to do it, but in 3 min time, it was stretched and made a huge difference in my leg. She advised to buy one. I went to the sporting goods store on my way home, and they were $40 there. Instead, i went to lunch, got on my ipad, and ordered one for $10 from amazon. Great stuff!
 
Hey 50yrold,

Sounds like you had a great PT session today. It is always good to have a great stretch that makes you feel wonderful and some awesome advise. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Just finished a 5 mile bike ride. It took about 30 minutes. I'm really glad I had my bike tuned up prior to surgery, so it would be ready for me now. My knee feels great, as I stretched and did my PT before the ride. But, it didn't feel great Fri night, or most of yesterday. I went to see my son's marching band perform Friday, and was on a business phone call as I exited the car (passenger side). I wasn't thinking, and put the bulk of my weight on my new knee as I was getting out of the car. OUCH! That started a painful and swollen 24 hr period. I rested, iced and elevated as much as possible yesterday, but I also had chores to get done, so it never really reduced much. Felt much better this a.m., and finally got around to PT around 10 or so.

Hope all are well this weekend!
 
50yrold

I am sorry to hear that your knee was acting up Friday and some on Saturday. I am glad that you were able to ride 5 miles today. Please be careful while talking on the phone. :heehee: I know it is not fun to swell and hurt, but please be careful. :)

Have a great week! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi All,

I just wanted to say that I appreciated the comradery and helpful comments and support on this forum over the last 6 weeks. It's been a key part of my recovery to be able to discuss progress, get ideas, and empathize with many of you over the last 6 weeks. Thanks.

I begin my masters degree studies today, with classes starting tonight. Thus, I won't have enough time to keep up on this forum.

My recovery and return to normal life has been, thus far, phenomenal. I am glad I have my new knee, and, even though I get setbacks each week from overdoing it, my overall progress has been wonderful. My PT will end this Friday, but I'll keep doing it at home. If I have a significant setback, I'm sure I'll be back, looking for advice, support and solutions.

I'm sorry I can't stick around to support others in their need at present. Hopefully, I've been able to add enough support along the way. Either way, I wish the best for each of you, and keep doing your PT!

Bob
 
[Bonesmart.org] Released!
50yrold, Bob. But I hear life calling you back into the fray. Good luck with your studies. Please post once in a while with an update so we can keep up this your progress.

[Bonesmart.org] Released!
 
Hello bob,
Good luck with your masters :) continue on...life calls.
Take care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
This is such a good thing that you feel so great that you are resuming your life :yay: Perhaps you might find time to come back for updates now and again

Good luck with your Master studies :thumb:
 
Bob, Good luck with your studies. I know you'll do well. You'll probably so busy with coursework that your knee will give you minimal problems. Don't party too much. :martini: Like master's candidates have time for that.
 
Hey, Good luck with your masters! Do stop and check in once in a while.
Your July 2 buddy
Wanda
 
Best wishes for your academic life! I know what you mean about it being hard to keep up with everyone here. And I agree that the support here is wonderful. Happy studying!
 
Best wishes for your continued good recovery and for your academic studies, Bob.
 
50yrold

Sorry to see you go, but I understand! I am glad to have had you as a cheerleader in my recovery. Good luck to you with your master's degree! Best wishes for you in your continuing recovery. Drop by any time. :SUNsmile:
 
Just checking in...I've read up on many of your progress, and I like most of what I'm reading. I can relate to muscle pain, and tight connective tissues. I haven't been good on my PT since "graduation" 3 or 4 weeks ago. Just a bit of stretching here and there. As a result, I lost a bit of quad strength, and the knee is a little loose, esp. when lying on my side with my knee kicked up...I get a bit of side-to-side laxity, so I need to keep it strong, I think. Other than pain in a spot upon extension, especially, under load, all else is good. The pain, my doc says, is synovitis, meaning scarring of the sac lining under the knee cap. He said the nerves should dull over time, or, if its still a problem in a year, they can clean it out. I'm thinking the nerve dulling thing sounds better.

Off the pain meds for now. Retired my Percocet on Friday, and was down to 1-2/day. Weird thing is that during my PT, I needed them at night, and when I stopped, I needed them during the day, which was not good for productivity. And, work/school life is very busy right now, so glad I am off of them. I did take a couple Vicodins over the weekend, and had forgotten they make my ankles itch, so no more of those, unless the pain is really bad.

Anyway, here's the check in. And here's to everyones progress!
 
Howdy 50yrold (Bob)! Thank you for the update. :thankyou: I was wondering how you were doing. I guess with all the work your are doing and the schooling keeps you quite busy. :skep: Sorry to hear that you have lost some quad strength and having some pain. :sorry: Awesome for retiring the pain medication!:happydance:

Best wishes for your continued progress!
 
Hi, 50yrold,
Good to see you back.
I've also experienced the quad weakness after being done with PT now for 5 weeks. I'm now riding a stationary exercise bike every other day to build back up. I'm taking it slowly, so the muscle pain is much less intense than when I was doing PT. No need for meds at night, save an occasional OTC pain killer. I know the exercise bike is working, because I can feel and see the quad building up.

Glad to hear you are off the pain meds. Your experience is a carbon copy of mine! I also stopped taking the meds at night, and then felt the need to take them during the day. I stepped down from Percocet to Vicodin at 8 weeks, and stopped the Vicodin at 1 week after finishing PT, which was the 13 week mark.

Good luck with the synovitis. I hope that the nerves dull and you won't need the arthroscopy.

Cheers,
Roger
 
50yrold,
I read your update on Daughter stalker's thread. It sounds like you are doing OK! Wow, trotting after the dog, that's great. It's quite a revelation when you do something like that for the first time, isn't it? I trotted for some reason a couple weeks ago, I can't remember why. My experience was the same, it seemed OK, and I didn't feel any real pain afterwards. Everything held together fine, but I am still a bit cautious about that kind of activity.

I too have had some loss in strength in the leg after finishing PT. My quads took a big beating in PT, and actually they weren't happy since day 1 in the hospital. I had to take valium, and couldn't participate in the group PT sessions for the first 2 days. So now I've been resting the quads, and I'm only doing some exercise bike twice a week or so. I think I had a mild case of tendonitis after finishing outpatient PT. I've been wearing a knee brace when active to provide compression. I'm still icing & elevating when I can. It all seems to be working. Today I actually felt like the knee is moving to the next level. The swelling is reduced quite a bit, and there is much less stiffness. The business travel is kind of grueling, but it's only 2 days/week. I'm surprised, though, at the very little pain with all the walking I am doing. I'm almost at the 4 1/2 month mark now. We have a big vacation planned for first week of Nov, at the 6 month mark. I'm hoping things will be even better by then.

How is your synovitis coming along?

Roger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom