TKR Rehab Starts now !

8 Weeks Out Physio Report and Back To Work Meeting.

Great news from my physio session today. She is very happy with my progress. It seems my kneecap problem is resolving itself quicker than both my physio and myself thought it would.
I've been exercising the knee carefully but efficiently, plenty of rest and ice and it's paying off. My physio is moving me now onto some more serious strength based exercises to gain more strength and stability. Training on my own, she's happy for me to use minimal weights resistance in the gym but I have to be sensible, she knows I train with weights regularly so warned me not to get too far ahead of myself. I'll still see her weekly. That's not going to happen, I've taken her advice on board.
We then spoke about my projected return to work. Barring any mishaps (fingers crossed) she's happy to see me for the next four weeks then release me to return to work, but with strict limitations. She recommends that I have a phased return which I spoke with my HR Manager about in a meeting directly after my physio session. Luckily, the company I work for have a very progressive outlook. They're happy for me to return over a 6 week period to full time working, building up slowly and reviewing at the end of each week. If I'm not coping, they'll extend if I need to.
All in all, a very positive day. I'm looking forward to my gym session in the morning and I'm actually relishing going back to the daily grind!
 
What an excellent report! You’ve been doing well so not a surprise, just a wonderful confirmation. :happydance:

I’m going to gang up on you with your therapist: Be very careful with weights. We don’t recommend them until after three months, when the knee has done more healing. If your knee acts up, gets more swollen or painful on you, stop any weight training. You can go back to it later.

Your return to work sounds perfectly planned! Your company is definitely a progressive and mindful one that cares about its employees. A phased return allows you to get back into the swing of work mentally as well as physically. Your knee will thank you (and them!).
 
You had a great report! Being sensible has paid off! Now, with those weights, continue to be sensible! It's mighty early to start with them. Listen to your knee!
 
I'm under no illusions Susie and Sisters, I won't be putting 3x20kg plates either side of an Olympic bar and squatting it as I used too. It'll be a half Olympic bar, no weights to begin with. The first sign of ANY discomfort, I'll stop. Like all those experienced in knee rehab on here tell everyone on this journey, the knee is in charge, listen to what it tells you. I've heeded that so far and I'm determined not to mess it up now.
I'm very lucky at work. We got a new HR Manager 18 months ago and she is fantastic. I work in a very skilled, medium engineering company with an ageing workforce (can't get skilled younger people in these days) to take some of the load so this type of surgery has become more and more common. She's actively pushed the company to be more progressive thinking in their attitude towards retuning employees after major surgery like this.
 
EIGHT WEEKS PHYSIO

A change from my expectations with my physio visit today. She’s had me building strength in the joint as well as extension. Stretching for the extension has got me to 2 degrees, she’s now decided that she’s not going to push me to get zero. In her opinion it’s better to let the knee do it itself over a longer period than over exercising it and risking potential damage elsewhere.
Strength wise she’s had me standing from sitting ( with weights) single leg ( the new knee) step ups, pausing at halfway on the way up and down and squats. I’ve been doing all three for a week in my own gym sessions and initially very difficult, the strength and stability is returning very quickly. Step ups, the first attempt I could only manage three, using the machine frame to balance with my hands, I’m now up to two sets of 8 reps, no holding. There is a little bit of stiffness the day after exercising but not in the joint itself, it’s in the quad and the calf, the general stiffness I associate with training with weights.
She’s very happy with my progress to date. There have been a couple of hiccups along the way ( the kneecap issue just seems to have resolved itself) so with me returning to work in 4 weeks im optimistic I’ll be able to manage much more than I was a couple of weeks ago.
 
Stretching for the extension has got me to 2 degrees, she’s now decided that she’s not going to push me to get zero. In her opinion it’s better to let the knee do it itself over a longer period than over exercising it and risking potential damage elsewhere.

I love your therapist! She's wise and knows how knee rehab works. When my knees were at 2 degrees, my therapist kept badgering me to let him push down on them to get that last bit of extension. I had to fend him off ferociously. You will definitely get full extension just by walking and going about your normal activities.

There have been a couple of hiccups along the way ( the kneecap issue just seems to have resolved itself) so with me returning to work in 4 weeks im optimistic I’ll be able to manage much more than I was a couple of weeks ago.

You're doing great and should have a triumphant return to work. :yes: As for hiccups... TKR recovery has plenty of those. Most resolve without intervention. Our bodies got all kinds of out of whack while deteriorating to the point of needing TKR; it takes a bit of working out the kinks to get back to our new and better normal.
 
You're right Susie, my physio is very good. The first thing she does at each session is sit and talk to me for 5 mins. Ask what I've been doing exercise wise, am I having any pain or swelling, how am I sleeping then watches me walk a few times up and down the gym. She can tell how I've progressed or not just by watching me walk, how I place my feet, the angle of my knee etc. She then tailors my session dependent on my answers to her questions gives me advice on things I can do if I feel I want to try something different. Today's advice was on the importance of rest now that I'm working on more strenuous strength exercises. She also leaves me in no doubt I'll be in big trouble if I don't follow her advice! Something I need at times as, like most guys, I think I know best sometimes
 
Back To Work

First day back in work after 12 weeks off and boy has 8 1/2 hrs on my feet taken a toll !!
 
I hope the only toll is that you're exhausted (that was inevitable) and not that your poor knee is suffering too much. The extra activity probably shocked it a bit, but you know the routine for getting it to settle back down. :ice:
 
Has it been 12 weeks already?

I hope your knee adjusts well to being back to work. You may have to indulge it when you’re home until it does.

Best wishes!
 
Congrats on getting back to work. Now, rest that baby knee of yours!
 
Very sore by the time I got home. I could feel it swelling as the day went on. Shower the rest, elevation and ice for an hour and a half helped the knee but everywhere else ached too lol. Back, hips, calves, when I stood up I had to stand for around 30 seconds then walk cos I’d seized up from sitting down.
It was a lot better this morning after a very good nights sleep and hopefully it’ll improve each day as time progresses.
Thanks for the replies, they’re much appreciated as is all the advice.
 
It sounds like you did just right yesterday. You can't buy a good night's sleep, and you are blessed to have had one! Take it slow and easy!
 
A day off today, my phased return helps so I’m expecting a slightly easier day tomorrow. Unfortunately my job is standing all day but I’ll have to grit my teeth. I be been putting in extra work in the gym in the last 3 weeks with the agreement of my Physio and I dread to think what I’d have been like if I hadn’t done that. I’d have been a wreck lol.
 
Sounds like on the days you work a little stretching for the muscles may be all you want to do. Besides icing and elevating when you get home.
 
Kneeper, by the time I got home I couldn’t even manage a stretch lol. It’s a long time on your feet when you’ve been recovering for three months but it’ll get easier as time goes on.
 
Back to Work Update:
I thought the tide had turned.. .......... how wrong was I! After Tuesdays struggles and having Wednesday as a rest day, Thursday went really well. A bit of discomfort by the time I finished my days work but nothing I couldn't handle, I'm thinking, great, turned the corner. I went back to work on Friday for a half days work without a rest day and man I really, really struggled. By quitting time I could barely walk. I usually go grocery shopping Friday afternoon with my wife but I simply couldn't manage even that. It was Sunday before I could walk again. All I could do Friday and Saturday was rest up, elevate and ice. It set me back mentally more than anything.
I'm going to ask to see if I can change my work days from Tuesday, Thursday Friday to Monday, Wednesday, Friday to give me that days rest between work. Hopefully my company will agree to it, they've been fantastic through all this so I can't see it being a problem. If I can do that for a couple of weeks then add an extra day for the last couple of weeks of my phased return, hopefully that'll make things a little easier.
 
I hope your company agrees, it sounds like a good plan.
 
So do I. The last thing I want to do is take more time off sick as I can’t cope with my working days. I know from experience it’ll get easier I’ve just got to find the right formula.
 
Even here at home I'd have to have a day of rest between a work day. This went on for at least a few months. It does get better. Your knee is just 1/4 of the way of being healed. it's still a child!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom