Bilateral PKR Recovery...will it get easier?

We're not far from you in coastal MD. It's been in the 30's in the morning then warms to the 50's. I refuse to put the heat on in the morning. In my mind it's still summer LOL
 
First off, please dont take this as me bashing my PT person. I could not and personally would not have wanted to start this 5 days after surgery. My husband had an upcoming court appearance (for ex wanting a lot more money). I had lawyer visits starting on day 5 after surgery. This took all of my energy.

Started physical therapy, first day was last Thursday. Everything was super tight and there was pain. I tried to tell her that it hurt but she kept telling me to push thru it. Friday, I went back and she put me on the bike. I told her 3 times it felt like my scar was ripping. Again, it is normal and to keep going to 10 minutes. I am not one to cry, but I teared up several times.
Did 4 more exercises and one was squats (bending down like I was sitting in a low chair without using hands. Then I couldn't stand it. I pulled up my pant leg, my incision was coming apart. She looked and told me to call my surgeon. Arg! It started pulling from the top of the knee cap but did not bleed or ooze.
Called surgeon, the nurse wanted me to go to urgent care to have steri strips put on. Or I could go to pharmacy and find some and put them on till today. Then decide if I needed to visit them.
Has anyone else had this happen? I know I was supposed to stop when it hurt but I wanted to trust they knew what was happening.

This past weekend was unreal with pain and discomfort. Actually thought of taking the RX pain meds. It feels like my knees are both back to week one.

Feeling very discouraged and beaten.
 
Hi, Koopersmom,
I’m 6 weeks out from my TKR, and I wanted to let you know that I had horrific itching from the OxyContin beginning when I was in the hospital. I had terrible shaking/chills, too. Once home, I scaled back on the Oxy, and now take one 5 mg tab every 8 to 10 hours. The itching has subsided, but is still there. My pain levels are much better, and I hope to transition to only Extra Strength Tylenol soon. Hang in there....you are in early stages, and it WILL get better.
 
Just read your last post!! My first PT pushed me painfully with the bike, etc. when I was 3 weeks out. It was agony and my swelling was worse than ever. This site’s advice was a Godsend; I switched to a gentler PT who listened to me. My surgeon (NYC) also said I should switch PT’s. My new one said that the surgeons from New York City are now saying gentle stretches only in PT....this is the new protocol! Get a new PT!
 
@Whitepond, thank you for your response.

I have been to PT several times over the years for my knees and never had good luck. I know my body better than they do and I understand I have to push and stretch. After reading on here about some that push till pain, I knew to be careful. She even tried to push down on my knee to straighten. Told her very quickly my knees have not been straight for 35 years. I was 8 when I hyper extended both and was actually in a wheel chair for a couple of weeks after that accident. Been issue for my whole life.

I am tempted to stop and do it myself. The surgeon has online PT to do and it has helped a lot. The heel slides are killing me. Anything with severe bending is not happening yet. Left is still too swollen and right is where the incision is having issues.

I am 4 weeks and 3 days out. Weeks 3 and 4 were awesome. And I have not had real pain since week 1 to 1.5.
 
Oh, @Koopersmom, you have really opened yourself up to tons of comments today. I notice that you wrote it at 4:48am. Kind of says it all. Now - although I am an absolute proponent of PT, it HAS (underlined if I could) to be the right kind. Your place sounds exactly like my first one for knee #1. The people who work there must have been abused as children. I went 3x/week for about four weeks. I was nuts. I would take a pain pill, go to PT, make it home, and ice and elevate the rest of the day, taking my pain meds throughout. Same the next day, then back to PT. On day three there, an aide (probably with six weeks training, if that) sat me in a somewhat low office chair and told me to stand up (I was still using my walker but could not for that "exercise"). After trying so hard and crying, I finally let loose with a string of expletives that burned everyone's ears. And the next time, another "aide" pushed on my knee saying "if I don't do this, you are really not going to like what I do next week". What an idiot I was!!! These people seemed to get off on torturing patients. And they made me do squats also. When I saw my dr. for post-op, he said to absolutely not to do squats, just gentle exercises.

Why was I so stupid? Because I thought that was how it was supposed to be. Finally I woke up. Although I had prepaid for the next visit, I never went back. I stayed home a week resting, then found another place. It was like Nirvana (sp?). Lots of massage, a little stretching, period. In a very short time, as my knee healed more, I was off pain meds, able to do more at PT without pain, just discomfort, and came home actually energized. Started walking for exercise and was amazed at my progress. It was a fun place to go, working out with folks rehabbing different parts of their bodies.

All I could do about the first place was tell everyone, including my dr., about what a horrible place the first one was.

So - after this epistle, I beg you to stop going to PT at your current place. They don't know what they are doing and are hurting, not helping, your recovery. Stop everything and take it easy for awhile. Let your knee calm down. As I have said, I do believe in PT but it shouldn't be a place you dread going to. A good place will help you get your knee healed and you will be amazed at the difference it makes.

Call your dr.'s office today and tell them you want to be seen by your dr. Demand it. That's part of what you signed on for. Forget urgent care where you'll be seen by someone who knows nothing about knees. And steri-strips? No. Not enough. Then, rest. You'll know when you can do more.

PT does work. Or at least it did for me. After I insisted my therapist (a real one, not an aide) measure my ROM, it was 145/0. I ended up at 140/0 after #2, neither of which involved pushing. Now they are both at least that. You will be the same if you find another place.

I'm off my soapbox now since there will be tons more comments coming. As the moderators say, you are in charge of your knee. Take care of it now and it will reward you more than you can imagine. Good luck!
 
Thank you so much @MSgirl. I agree and will make the call now to cancel my appts.
I am very discouraged and currently elevating both my knees. I can not get over how bad they hurt now. So glad I did not start it at day 5.
 
@Koopersmom omg! I feel so bad for your setback caused by a “specialist “ I’m starting 7 weeks today post op and had turned the corner last week. I was finally sleeping! My knee was doing fabulous! Then my PT session last Wednesday messed it all up. My knee was pressed back so far that I almost passed out and almost threw up. My knee has been swollen every since. It also looks bruised again. Plus it is clinking when I walk, it’s never done that.

It’s unbelievable that they did this to you. I’m feeling your pain. It sucks that they inhibited your progress. It seems to take so long to get our lives back, and then one bad session ruins it. My knee still hurts today, and I’m still not comfortable enough to go for a walk. I’ve enjoyed that part of my recovery and that’s been taken away.

I know it’s a set back, but hopefully you’ll rebound fast. I have not used the bike in PT as it’s never been offered. I know I couldn’t do a full pedal. From everything I’ve seen , you’re supposed to rock forward or backwards to start. I can’t imagine going all the way around! You should never be pushed or pulled. I am so sorry to read your thread. I hope you continue to heal, but at your pace...not anyone else’s.
 
Please don't be discouraged. Just a little setback. I've always heard that when we know better, we do better. Your knee isn't ruined. Just let it rest, sit in your chair on your lounge doctor if you have one and think bad thoughts about those horrible people. It won't be long before you are back to where you were and will make great progress. I can tell because of your determination. Hope your dr. visit goes well.
 
@Koopersmom - I agree with the others. That PT therapist was not the right one for you. She was doing more harm than good.

You can exercise gently at home, or even just let your activities of daily living be your PT.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
You all are absolutely awesome. It feels great to be at least validated. I appreciate you guys taking the time to encourage and also give your stories.
I know this will get better and it is only a minor setback.
Again, Thank you!
 
2 month update.
It has been awesome and this site is a godsend.
I went for my checkup last week and the surgeon was pleased with progress. My incisions are much better than anyone expected. I compared scars with a friend that had hers 3 years ago and we are very close in size, and healing.
The doc told me that PT clinic was not for me and he agreed with me quitting. I am on the move practically non stop but I do still enjoy my recliner time with them up.
I know i only had partials done but my quality of life is so much better. I feel 5 years younger.
Still have my limitations and swelling sometimes but I can truly deal with that since the pain is almost non existent.
I travel a lot. To visit family in WV and my hubs in central PA. I am still learning that I HAVE to stop and walk about every 2 hours. My knees will tell me very close to that time they need some fresh air.
Last weekend, was my first trip to WV and took my 1yr old husky with me. That was also my first times walking him. It was different but we did good.
We just found out, hopefully, my hubs will be working in California starting the first of year. That drive (43 to 46 hours depending on which area) will be a challenge, but we will stop about every 10 to 12 hours and spend the night somewhere. That is about the furthest I have ever driven, so it will be interesting.

I will be driving him to CA and then flying home. Any suggestions for the flight? Not concerned with TSA but the actual flight.

Wanted to wish everyone the best of luck with their surgeries and recoveries. It does get better, I promise. Don't get discouraged and just try to keep moving. Listen to your new parts and life will be so much more enjoyable.
 
So glad to hear that you are doing so well! That must be a relief after all you've been through. I think there is an article about traveling that one of the advisors can provide you a link to. I did a fairly long flight about 2 months after my first TKR. I wore the TED socks and also got an aisle seat so I could stretch out my legs. If you have a wedge or Lounge Doctor you could take it in the car with you for the long drive and elevate in the back seat if your vehicle is appropriate. I found that helpful on long drives.
 
@Koopersmom, here is the link to the article mentioned by @kmak81230: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/flying-soon-after-surgery.13054/

I took a 4.5 hr flight at roughly 8 weeks after surgery. I also used a compression sleeve on my leg and had an aisle seat. Got up and walked a few times. Had to issues. You could even let the gate attendants know about your surgery and I’m sure they will let you board early. Don’t forget to pack several ziplock bags so you can get ice to use at night if you are staying in a hotel.
 
Thank you both for the information.
I never thought about the walk from my car to plane. But on the other end, I am gonna have to rent a car so there will be a bit of walking there.

Awesome information and tips from you both. Adding freezer bags and my ice back to the take list. Those will come in handy after arriving.

Thanks again. So looking forward to this new adventure.
 
Back
Top Bottom