Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR Recovery...will it get easier?

Ok ya'll another question, or two. I cannot sleep more than 2 hours at night. I have even tried taking the pain pills and benadryl to try to get some shut eye. Nothing is working. Pain pills are very minimal and usually don't take during day. Will this get better soon or do I need to try something else? I am so tired at times during the day and try to nap but it eludes me. Even staying awake all day and trying to sleep at night. 2 hours is actually a high estimate.

Since I had both knees done together, is there a secret to side sleeping? If knees are happy, rest of body is screaming. Rest of body happy....well that doesnt happen anymore.

Side sleeper here, too. I've been using a pillow length-wise between legs. Just recently found out that, if I got another pillow lengthwise under my bottom leg, that was even more comfortable. Although, multiple extra pillows in the bed is a hassle. And, while I think it's easy to get into a comfortable position and fall asleep (for me anyway)...you can't stay perfectly still all night, and movement to 're-comfort', unfortunately, can be a painful process.
 
I’m a side sleeper too. After having both knees replaced, I had trouble side-sleeping for a while. About four months until I could do it for a few hours. Six months before I could sleep through the night on my side. Everyone is different, of course, so you will have your own timeline. Just don’t be surprised, or worried, if it takes a while to get back to sleeping on your side.

One thing I noticed about my knees and side-sleeping — well, all sleeping at first — was that the thing that upset my knees were the angles. If I slept on my back, with my knees/legs supported on a wedge (I also needed a little propping of my head and shoulders, not flat), my knees were happy. They didn’t wake me up with pain. If I slept on my side, maybe it was the dip of the mattress, maybe it was the slight sideways pressure of being the upper or lower leg, maybe it was that I would bend them a little more when on my side, but my knees developed some pain on the inside or outside (depending) that would wake me up and maybe even last for a few hours.

It helped a lot to put a full-size pillow lengthwise between my legs. This helped support the new knees and they were happier for longer. Once I could manage a few hours of side-sleeping this way, I continued with the pillows for about two-three months. I no longer need them. You will eventually get back to sleeping normally too! :yes!:

Also, don’t try to manipulate your body by not sleeping during the day, thinking it will surely sleep better later if you’re more tired. It doesn’t work that way. Your sleep problem is due to how surgery (and healing, and meds) impact your brain. Your brain needs to get it sorted out, but not sleeping during the day only means you’ll be more exhausted and less rested. More healing happen during sleep and naps than when we’re up and about, so you might as well indulge your healing body with naps. All sleep is good, so catch whatever naps you can. They add up and you will have more energy. Maybe not a lot more energy, but every bit helps. :friends:
 
Around 3 weeks after my infection surgery I was able to sleep on my right side for an hour or so by laying my left over my upper right leg. It was heaven for that hour!
 
Another question....feet itching. Is it normal?
My feet are very dry and every 12 hours they go thru this major itching phase. I cannot keep enough lotion on them. Granted I haven't been able to reach them for a while and they didnt start bothering me till 2 days ago.
My mom left the day it started so it is just me winging it.

Overall, I am very impressed with recovery and feel very fortunate. Walker stopped after the first week. Cane is when I am out and about just in case. Thankfully, I had it when I went out to dinner with my mom and some butthead bumped into me waiting in line. I thought I was going down for sure.
Steps are still slow and easy but much easier. Sleeping is better most days and finally mastered sleeping on my side. Took lots of figuring out but 2 pillows with the thicker between lower legs and thin one is between thighs.
Just tylenol and aspirin for the last week and half. Swelling has been awesome.
Got my puppy (1 yr old) past Friday and he is a cuddle bug. New knees have taken to the lap cuddles very well and he is being very gentle.
 
The skin on both my legs, but especially my operated leg, was very dry and itchy for a few weeks after surgery - not really sure why, maybe it has something to do with wearing the pressure socks? I think lots of moisturiser is the only thing you can do - my physio recommended Bio Oil to rub into the area around the scar, but I found it helpful with the dry skin too. Cocoa butter is also very good.

I agree that finding a comfortable position to sleep in is a nightmare - sleep deprivation is possibly the worst thing about this whole recovery process. The good news is at nine weeks I have just had my first two unbroken and pain free nights' sleep since surgery - it does get better eventually! Co-codamol taken at bedtime did knock me out for a couple of hours in the early days. I also found that putting the cryocuff on and icing my knee for twenty minutes when I woke seemed to calm it down.

Very impressive that you are walking so well without crutches or a cane! My physio advised me to keep using crutches whenever walking outside - not because I needed them, but because people usually give you a wide berth, hold doors open etc (obviously the idiot who nearly knocked you down didn't get the memo!) I still take my crutches on shopping trips if I know there will be crowds - I just feel that bit safer.
 
Good morning! I hear you on the sleep issue. I slept well the first 2 weeks but find now I’m grateful for 2-3 straight hours. My body is tired of the same 3 options and even the recliner doesn’t help. BUT it does pass - this is fleeting. Remember that you didn’t get to the point of needing BTKR overnight and your recovery won’t be like that either. Use the time to come see us on here and say hello, watch some bad tv and giggle at its absurdity, journal, daydream or whatever. We got you on this! :roseshwr:
 
My legs itched and flaked at between one month and two months. Mr. Shoes would slather them with Palmers Cocoa Butter with VItamin E. Any good lotion or cream would probably do the trick. But yeah, the itching was no fun!

Glad you had your cane with you for the bumpage. I kept my cane with me for a good few months when out and about, just for that reason. It warned off lots of potential problems and came in handy on some occasions, like when I’d encounter a low public toilet. The ones in the Walnut Street Theater in downtown Philadelphia are practically on the floor. :gaah: Cane really helped that time!
 
New knees have taken to the lap cuddles very well
It's something about those wonderful pets of ours that are therapeutic! I had 13 at the time of my surgery and they would take turns sitting on my lap! But, they were cats, not dogs, so they didn't weigh much. I had only one problem. My heaviest boy jumped up on my knee instead of my lap. I screamed and none of them ever did that again. They'd wait until I invited them. So, I guess what I am suggesting is to be careful and train your puppy to not jump up on your knee unless you are ready for him!
 
@Koopersmom, congratulatiòns on the new addition to your family. It's strange how our pets know when were not feeling well and go from roudy play monsters to lap cuttlè bugs. I have both cats and dogs so I havè plenty of nurses.
 
Best recovery aid ever....puppy cuddles!

When we did the pre op class at the hospital they strongly advised against pets in the bed. Hubs whispered to me “yeah that will never happen”.

Can you post a puppy pic?
 
They told me pre-op to not let my cats on the bed. Yeah, right! They'd holler at the door all night! I'd rather take the chance and get some sleep!
 
Was the told the same thing, no animals! I needed my big” bed cat” cat Joey! Ignored that “ advice “ . Nothing happened to me but kitty rubs and purrs!
 
Hi, @Koopersmom. I'm catching up on Bonesmart and saw your posts. Isn't it amazing how much our bodies can heal in three weeks? You have come a long way from your first post. There will probably be peaks and valleys ahead but hold onto your optimism when issues arise. I hope that others just starting out will be able to read your post. You describe so well the desperation at the beginning, but then, three weeks later, let them see that things really do get better. Good luck on your continued healing!
 
Best recovery aid ever....puppy cuddles!

When we did the pre op class at the hospital they strongly advised against pets in the bed. Hubs whispered to me “yeah that will never happen”.

Can you post a puppy pic?

Sorry, it keeps telling me the file is too large.
 
I found out the itching is actually chiggers/jiggers. Not sure which it is really called. I keep hearing both. So I got a strong cream and steroids for a few days. Thankfully, sleeping is much better. Still trying to find where I got them. Only been in grass maybe 7 feet to feed fish and the down driveway. That is all I have been off of concrete.

On a super happy note, I was finally able to walk on the beach. Husband was in town for the weekend and I had to beg him. Him and step some walked in front of me to make sure the sand wouldn't drop down under pressure. It felt great to be near the surf and walk a little. It was a relief him and step son were with me as I couldn't take the big step to get over the concrete. So I had to hig their necks and they lowered me down to the ground. Definitely will not do that by my self but it was nice.

Healing has been amazing. I have been so surprised by the progress. The biggest piece of advice i can give anyone is listen to your body. It will tell you when you need to chill and dont rush anything.

I truly thought it would have been a battle but i have been surprised. As having family members hooked on pain pills I was happy when I didnt need them and did not get hooked on them. Tylenol and aspirin is all I have been taking for 2 weeks. I still elevate a good bit but swelling has been amazingly not a problem.

Please if you are getting ready to go thru the surgeries, have your area set up before the big day and have lots of cushions and pillows everywhere. I used them to sit on and to use to push up out of a seat. Made it a little easier.

Take your time in healing. You will loose sleep and I mean lots of it but it will return, I promise.
 
Down here in Mississippi, we have something called "no see-ums". Horrible tiny bugs that bite like the dickens and make me itch more than mosquitos. They find me whenever I go outside right now so maybe they found you too. Glad you got to go to the beach. Nothing like watching the water.

BTW, the picture is my new puppy, bought after I was mostly healed from #2. He is a mess but so much fun.
 
@MSgirl your pup is adorable.
My profile pic is my monster, Kooper. The daily antics along are enough to keep me out of a blue feeling stage. He keeps me moving.
At first he would patiently wait for me at top of stairs, now he snaps his fingers and tells me to move quicker. Haha. Truly missed him and glad he is back with me.

The bites of the bugs are def. Worse than mosquitoes. I had no idea and was so afraid the "rash" would creep up to my incisions. Relieved that they will not.
Hope it is warmer down there then here in South NJ.
 
It was warm until this morning. Took Charlie outside and brrr... I think it was only around 55. It warmed up to the 70's later but that's still a lot cooler than it has been. I wish we had hardwoods down here because that cold night might have made the leaves turn colors. I'm afraid the palms don't change.
 
Back
Top Bottom