Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery Progress Stalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Scaredycat10 they say we are given what we can handle- just wish they would stop for a while!
I am glad with your physio you are improving- I didn’t see eye to eye with mine, visualisation my:censored:
I am doing my own rehab , following guidelines here on Bonesmart and listening to other members post.
By conquering your fear you achieved much and should be very proud of yourself- you were braver than you than you thought:thumb: well done!
 
Ok just a quick follow up regarding the pedal exerciser, I am an official member of tonights ODIC or in other words over do it club:gaah:
I am throbbing and have iced several times this evening- no damage just a reminder that doing exercise even fun exercise has its price if you do too much. It was fun just to move in a way I used to do but next time I will take it much much slower!
 
It's the silly oclockers time again :heehee: :mcoffee: I was rudely awoken by my doxie, who heard a movement in the house, so she decided it was potty time :censored:
Anyway it's really easy to get carried away with a new piece of equipment, we've all done it at some stage, our knees are sure verbal when they are unhappy thou. Make sure you use our best friend Mr:ice: and rest as much as you can. When I used my peddler, I set it on zero tolerance and set myself a time starting first couple of days at 5 minutes and then every 3 days adding 1 minute on, my PT told me never to do more than 20 minutes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's the silly oclockers time again :heehee: :mcoffee: I was rudely awoken by my doxie, who heard a movement in the house, so she decided it was potty time :censored:
Anyway it's really easy to get carried away with a new piece of equipment, we've all done it at some stage, our knees are sure verbal when they are unhappy thou. Make sure you use our best friend Mr:ice: and rest as much as you can. When I used my peddler, I set it on zero tolerance and set myself a time starting first couple of days at 5 minutes and then every 3 days adding 1 minute on, my PT told me never to do more than 20 minutes.
I'm bone idle at times and let the pedals take me round.
I shall be using it more though as I have decided to stop gym visits for the time being. We have escaped any virus, so far and with school holidays and teens using the gym, that's me out for the time being. Luckily, the road/pavement sweepers have been round and most of the leaves have been swept up which makes it safer for dodderers like me, to go walking outside. I still worry about falling.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Scaredycat10 :flabber: jolly hope you are not out walking at this time in the morning, I see you are from Cheshire, My dad was born and raised there and up until last year my Aunty Molly still lived here, she died just before her one hundredth birthday, she lived in Neston on the Wirral.
 
@Scaredycat10 :flabber: jolly hope you are not out walking at this time in the morning, I see you are from Cheshire, My dad was born and raised there and up until last year my Aunty Molly still lived here, she died just before her one hundredth birthday, she lived in Neston on the Wirral.
I need full daylight so I can see where my crutch is going so I'll pass on any night meandering. I have learnt the hard way, a rubber ferule on a wet surface is not the safest way to walk so I'm very careful where I walk. Luckily, the weekend has been cold, but bright and sunny and beautiful weather to walk outside.
 
@Scaredycat10 - just a tip, you don't need to quote the whole message to bring it to someone's attention simply put a @ before their Avatar name ( @Scaredycat10 ) this saves space xx
 
@Sara61 @Scaredycat10 I have so enjoyed your messages, it was like two friends having a good chat- it made my morning waking up to it!
I promise I won’t overdue the pedal exerciser, I have learnt my lesson, I did sleep quite well after the normal 3-4 hour wide awake in the middle of the night episode so the additional effort made me more tired I think.
@Sara61 We renovated our house and put on energy efficient windows floor to ceiling in the main area where the dogs sleep- didn’t really consider it at the time but now if a single bird flies by early at dawn I get awoken by the baying of the house guards and of course we must go potty then- if we ever needed to be defended it would be the two small females who would defend us ,:doggie:the two boys would run behind us and hide!
@Scaredycat10 Mind yourself when you go out walking, I know all about the ferrule on the crutch sliding on a wet surface- it happened at the GP office, nearly did the splits for him while going in to have my staples removed- wouldn’t you think they would have nonslip flooring?? I do my walking inside as living in the countryside the roads are too unsafe and our driveway is pebble:yikes: .
At least you have used the quote button on here, I haven’t done that yet, I find using @name gets my message to whoever I’m replying to.
Hope you both have a good day, we are going for our boosters today- we have pretty much been living the past 18 months as if we are in lockdown anyway so there won’t be any major changes if and when they do it. Stay safe and happy healing:friends::egypdance:
 
@Scaredycat10 @Sara61 - have had my friend from Kent here for a 5 day visit and so been busy with her. She has had a hip surgery so between my knees, her hip and a prospective knee replacement we didn’t exactly trip the light fantastic but did have some lovely walks and a few meals outside as weather is beautiful here. Lots of catch up chatting and reminiscing of the fun times we had when we were neighbors 20 plus years ago. So I have been catching up on all your progress and see you are following all the great advice and doing TKR rehab the Bonesmart way. Lovely reading your chatter this morning as I indulge in a lie in with my ice pack after asking too much of my wonderful new knee the past week. Best healing wishes to you all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@patriciad

I liked taking part in the chatter...I just wish I wasn't awake to do so!!

Don't take this the wrong way but it's comforting to know knees can still be iffy six months after surgery. I am going to try and walk a little further this afternoon [with crutches as a safeguard] so will have ice in my Cryo Cuff in preparation for an icing when I get back. :)
 
@Scaredycat10 I agree it is comforting to know that we are not all easy breezy 6 week recovery though wouldn’t that be marvelous if the norm. I have been helped immeasurably by the advice given and the support on this Forum. The good is the progress you make and the smaller, shorter setbacks along the way. I did more over the past week than I have been able to in years as even after my first replacement my other knee was painfully wearing. So I might have overdone it and used some ice this morning but the knee is only sighing and not moaning. It hasn’t screamed at me in a few months!! You enjoy your walk. Getting out is good for the mind and soul.
 
Hi- I am playing catch-up again! And just reading the past few days’ posts. Thank you for the wishes for our son. Thankfully, he seems to be doing much better....I have to think he will have to be a little careful about his diet ( he loves meat - lots of pork where he is in Germany, it seems, and, super spicy foods). I have to think he doesn’t want to go through his past experience again, he was in a lot of pain. So! Healthier eating for our 44 year old son. And good news ( that hopefully is not thwarted by the newest Covid surge), he & his girlfriend are booking tickets to visit early February. We last saw him in September, but as she is from Italy, she could not come . We haven’t seen her in over 2 years & love her dearly, so we are doubly excited.

Ouch! I bet your knee Did hurt! I made the mistake of going into our backyard without my cane , thankfully, Before my surgery! I nearly had a nasty fall, as our backyard is not totally even. I was able to recover, but it did scare me, so post surgery, having my cane is indelibly marked on my brain! But, we do manage to not always do what’s best for us , when those we love need us. I’m glad you did no damage at least. As Mamas & wives & often caretakers, we’re gonna be there if we are needed.

@Scaredycat10..... I Totally relate! ( I often wondered about your moniker, you always have sounded so brave to me). If you’ve seen my first post, you’ll see that I was more or less dragged here “ kicking & screaming” as the saying goes ( well, not That bad, but, very resistant). I was regularly reminded, “ you are going to have to get that knee replaced” by friends & family, even told by a therapist that I was looking at a knee replacement before long , not too far down the road. But I had memories of numerous surgeries when I was 19-20 for ulcerative colitis, and several other surgeries through the years. As far as I was concerned, I wasn’t interested in any “ elective” surgery - if it wasn’t a matter of life or death, I wanted no part of it. Then my knee got so bad, I had no choice. There were other “ interruptions “ - the pandemic, I didn’t want to go near a hospital; our grandson would be starting 1st grade, in school, & we’d had Him here 2 days a week while his parents both worked from home - I wasn’t about to miss Any of that time. So, then in august, we saw my surgeon, & it was obvious my knee needed replacing. By the time my surgery was days away, I was in such pain, I couldn’t wait. All was going well until my incision became infected, then 6 days in the hospital & cleanout surgery. I had been thinking all along, “ don’t want to even Think about that!”. Well, my body had other ideas. It Has set me back some, but, I’m progressing daily, & my PTs are both pleased. I feel like I am on the upside now. And looking forward to our Farmers Market here in the spring/ summer. We’ve made some close friends, & love going. Last year was quite painful, so this year, we’ll both enjoy it so much more. And looking forward to more of those grandson visits. And our garden!

I started this last night, pooped out, finishing it this morning. I’m happy to report that my husband and I now take a daily walk of roughly 25 minutes! This was one of my big goals. We even went one day when it was Windy! And cold. We’re planning to extend the walks a bit, at some point, I’ll be ready for going uphill. But I’m just so very happy to be doing our 25 minutes. I read where several on this thread talked about the joy of walking. I heartedly agree!
I’m glad you recovered from your ODIC experience. It’s amazing that something that feels so good, & is actually fun, can be so mean! Doesn’t hit you at the moment, but later......ouch! I guess that has been one of the biggest lessons from this forum..... listen to your body. Don’t overdo. But even seeing other’s experiences, we all seem to do it before we realize..
OK! Signing off for now. Beautiful day here for walking, 60 & sunny!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Out with the husband for a tiny amount of shopping! I’ve laid the law down about how long I can be out today. Darn cats woke me at 4 am and I couldn’t get back to sleep!

Got home and discovered that I hadn’t sent the above post, LOL! I am in the ODIC. My husband kept me in one store WAY too long! He didn’t obey the law. I am home elevating and have taken Tylenol and Aleve!
 
Ouch!. Hope it’s better soon. That standing for long periods seems the worst. And this time of year, seems there’s always long lines.
 
Hello one and all!
I do enjoy all the messages from you, they always make me smile- we do look out for each other don’t we:)
Anybody else get pain inflammation after getting the booster jab? I got mine today and within an hour my knee was giving me :hissy: I could see I had swelled up a good bit so took a painkiller it’s still there but not as bad. I did read on other posts people seemed to be having the same issue.
You know what- I don’t really care about the pain this time, I am just glad I have had the jab, hopefully it will protect me and by doing that protect others. Now to hide out till next year!!
@Catalien45 I am so glad your son and his girlfriend are coming for a visit, you will counting down the days till they get here. Plenty of time to plan lovely walks you can take together.:walking:
It sounded like you are really enjoying walking- good for you!
@patriciad a sighing knee beats a moaning one hands down! It’s lovely to be with old friends reminiscing , walking and enjoying meals together outside. If I tried to do that here I wouldn’t be able to eat with my teeth chattering. It felt so cold going for the jab today, they had every window and door open for ventilation, you won’t get Covid but you could get pneumonia!
@Sks1997 I laughed about the cats- A long time ago before owning dogs we had house cats and boy do I remember the middle of the night/early morning mad running back and forth or even better when they decide to sing you the song of their people:catbutterfly::catdance: very big personalities!
I will make room for you on the ODIC bench, been there , got the t-shirt!
@Scaredycat10 I think you might need to change your name on the site in the near future, you could try strongercat or maybe even Topcat! I am so glad you are getting something positive from this site. Please excuse the next soppy message:whistle:
I have found this site to be a blessing in the truest sense, it’s a very personal and lonely thing to go through surgery like this which has such potential to be life changing- every little thing becomes enormous in your own eyes and the fear can be huge. By participating in this site I have found answers, hope , understanding and friendship, thank you all:thankyou:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom