Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery going really well

@myglasshalffull you wrote:
I was sobbing because I couldn't clean my glass shower doors all the way to bottom! My partner thought something was wrong...nope, just was annoyed at my limited movements in the first few months

@myglasshalffull I completely understand this.
In surprising and unexpected ways, my two THRs have affected me deeply in my emotional body, as significantly as in my physical one.

So I don't even think about recovery the same way anymore. It's not a return to what was, no matter quickly or slowly. It's not fulfillment of what I expected of myself. It's not a return to 'normal'.

It's not really a recovering or a return to anything.
Instead its a wide ranging opportunity to experience something new and transcendent, through the joy of regaining mobility and gratitude to all those that have made that possible.
 
I was about to buy some expensive Sketchers trainers, that have laces but that you can use as "slip-on" shoes. However then I found that the basic trainers I already have can do that too. I can just tie up the laces with them off, then force them on to me with the shoe horn. So I saved some money there.
Just FYI I bought “elastic laces” which are no-tie for my almost new sneakers. I can just pull the tongue out a bit and slide my feet in without bending over to tie them. Makes it possible for me to get into my favorite HOKAs.
 
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

As I said everything was going superbly but this week I've come back down to earth a bit. The last few days I've found it quite sore to put weight on my operated leg. I seem to feel a pain right in the middle of my hip. It's not excruciating, I'd put it at a 3 or 4 out of 10. I can still walk, but I'm afraid I might be limping slightly. It's fine when sitting or sleeping, but I feel it when I put my full weight on it.

I'm not panicking, it's only just under 5 weeks since the operation. But I'm curious - before this week I was happy to walk 4km. Now I'm a bit reluctant to go out walking at all.

I wonder has the implant-bone connection become unsettled a bit? Maybe I did something to to jar it? I tend to overthink these things, but I have one theory: I slept on my side long before I was supposed to, and sometimes that felt a bit sore. I suspect doing that pushes the implant socket to one side, away from its correct position, and maybe that is what ends up causing the pain. But that's pure speculation!

I'm not taking any painkillers now (I stopped all of them about 10 days after the operation). I suspect people will say I should take them. I probably will if I think I'll be on my feet for any length of time.
 
@myglasshalffull So I don't even think about recovery the same way anymore. It's not a return to what was, no matter quickly or slowly. It's not fulfillment of what I expected of myself. It's not a return to 'normal'. It's not really a recovering or a return to anything. Instead its a wide ranging opportunity to experience something new and transcendent, through the joy of regaining mobility and gratitude to all those that have made that possible.”

Well said. This is so true for me. In the years that my health degraded I experienced life differently, often very limited. Now I am older and feel better but I’m STILL older and other stuff slows me down. However, I celebrate what I can do and the revival of a life with less limitations.
 
Many limp post op. I did myself.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try. Please use an assistive device while you're limping.
Here is a visual -
1720099655939.png


My guess is that you aggravated healing soft tissue. Try resting and icing the area several times per day for no less than 45 minutes and see if you notice a difference. Then gradually try to build up your walking time again. Cut it way back, then slowly build from there as your comfort level allows. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
I hope you have a nice day and weekend!
@Leftie
 
My guess is that you aggravated healing soft tissue. Try resting and icing the area several times per day for no less than 45 minutes and see if you notice a difference. Then gradually try to build up your walking time again. Cut it way back, then slowly build from there as your comfort level allows. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
I hope you have a nice day and weekend!
@Leftie

Thanks Layla, that makes perfect sense to me. I'll follow your advice.
 
A quick update here: the soreness I had when putting weight on my operated leg has gone :)
I iced it for a while, and I also took an iboprufen tablet the next day. I think one or both of those things did the trick (plus just taking it very easy for a few days).
It's been 5 weeks now and I'm doing really well. I travelled by plane at the weekend, and did lots of walking through airports and around the Wimbledon tennis tournament, with no problems.
For me now, it's a case of life more or less as normal except for fitness and sport. I'll just have to wait with those until the healing has definitely completed, which I expect would be another 6 weeks or so. I'm happy with that.
 
:egypdance:Flying and Wilmbleton - checked off!!!!

Total healing will be longer, but yep you can start slowly then.

1705510297746.png
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I love your last update, you're doing well! Hopefully three weeks later, now, you're doing even better. :fingersx:
Take good care and thanks for sharing your journey with us! :)
@Leftie
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I love your last update, you're doing well! Hopefully three weeks later, now, you're doing even better. :fingersx:
Take good care and thanks for sharing your journey with us! :)
@Leftie
Thank you Layla! I love the way you nudge us to keep in touch and share updates - I think you're doing great work to help a lot of people, it's very generous of you.

As for me, well it's still going great. I'm very lucky. At this point I often forget about the operation completely - I go about my life more or less as I did before. My range of motion is now a lot better than it was before the operation. I feel lucky every time I put my socks on in the morning - that was a struggle before the operation.
I'm just back from a long weekend away in the countryside. I did a 14km walk one day and an 8km walk the next - that's also something I could not have done for the last 3 years or so before the operation.
I'm going to go back to a Pilates class for the first time tomorrow. And I'm hoping to start a little gentle running and tennis this week too.
I appreciate how lucky I am, I know that others have a more difficult recovery.
 
Thank you for your kind words, Leftie. I do enjoy reading updates, I'm certain we all do. Especially good ones and yours certainly is! Please go slow and easy on the activity, I don't want to see you lose any momentum, you're doing so well. Thanks for the update, I hope you have a wonderful week! :)
@Leftie
 
Twelve weeks tomorrow since my right THR operation, and I have a spare moment at work so time for a quick update.
It's still going really well - I'm back playing tennis now... mostly doubles but one set of singles. I did feel a bit tired playing singles, and I think my movement wasn't quite what it might have been before. But happy there were no real issues. I'm only playing short friendly games though, competition will have to wait a bit longer.
I do feel my hip flexors on my operated side are still not quite right - I'm back doing Pilates classes now and there are certain movements I just can barely do at all. But I believe hip flexor issues are common with this operation. So I'm doing some specific exercises for that.
Otherwise, I'm beginning to notice the real benefits of the operation in the first place. I can get on my bike much easier now. I can put on my socks quite easily in the morning. And I can walk pretty much any distance without any problem. It's actually quite life-changing. So I'm more than happy overall with the outcome.
I know I'm probably doing a little more than most people might at this stage, so please don't copy me and overdo it for yourself! As people here keep saying, everyone's recovery is different. I'm quite strong but light, so that probably helps. I'm Irish, and I'm lucky :)
 
@Leftie Thanks for the encouraging update! It is wonderful to hear you are doing well and are able to return to your favored activities!
 
Wow, great milestones!
 
Great progress. My left hip replaced in Jan and I was able to start back to tennis...only doubles..in 12 weeks. Was able to play 3 times a week up until my right hip replaced 1 weeks ago. Feels like I am progressing faster this time. Yes life changing. Good luck
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary...to date!
I LOVE your last update and its wonderful to read that you're happy with your outcome.
May it only get better!
@Leftie
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary...to date!
I LOVE your last update and its wonderful to read that you're happy with your outcome.
May it only get better!
@Leftie
Thank you Layla!
Being honest, it's still not perfect, which is fine. I still feel a little stiff sometimes, also the knee on the operated leg is sometimes a little sore. But I'm doing lots of activities so I guess that's really to be expected.
But I'm actually forgetting about it completely now a lot of the time, I hadn't even thought of the 3 month anniversary. And my friends have mostly stopped asking "how's the hip". So that's also a good milestone!
 
But I'm actually forgetting about it completely now a lot of the time, I hadn't even thought of the 3 month anniversary. And my friends have mostly stopped asking "how's the hip". So that's also a good milestone!
That's amazing to reach that milestone at 3 months! It takes most of us a lot longer to be able to "forget" about the hip. Sounds like you are doing really well and back to enjoying your life!
 
Hi again Leftie,
Thanks for the update. You're doing so well!
My surgeons PA reminded me early on that the prosthetic joint will never match the natural one we lose, however it gets pretty close. Given you are only three months post op and feeling this good, just think what the next nine months may bring. Obviously your friends are witnessing your progress also. All good news.
Stay the course and enjoy the ride!
@Leftie
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom