TKR Recovery from September 1st TKR - 2nd knee.

Anyway, good luck with the recovery, take it slowly and in PB, 3rd shot drop is key!
Thanks @wilsonma! I’m 2 1/2 weeks out today and oh yeay it’s a little better I think than the 1st. Maybe we just knew what to expect? Mostly resting, icing, walking outside a few blocks, doing PT but have a great therapist who knows I won’t allow any painful exercises. My hubby (another PB nut) and I play ping pong on the kitchen table with our paddles, trying to keep my quick reflexes in shape. I just love reading how you’re back playing 2+ hours at 7 weeks!!! You give me hope!! Thanks again!
 
I went a bit overboard with Pickleball, resulting in some swelling and pain. I then realized I had played 7 x 2 hour sessions in the week, with 1 day being 4 hours. There should be government warnings that PB is addictive. I cut back to 5 sessions and no more 4 hour play. I also used a knee sleeve for compression. Everything is great now and I just finished some intense 3.5+ games.
I like the idea of trying table tennis with PB paddles, especially to improve my spin game.

Anyway, don't worry if you do too much, during recovery. Just back off a bit and carry on!
 
@wilsonma I love reading your advice because it always reminds me to chill and not worry too much about the minor ups and downs. Thanks!
 
Keeping @wilsonma as my role model, guess who got out on the court today exactly 4 weeks after my LTKR!!! These dear friends kept the game really easy, but man it felt great to hit a few good shots. Can’t run laterally but the ball placement hasn’t been lost. Thank you for encouraging me! I feel like I turned a corner today. :tennis2:
Andpeaches
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Recovery from September 1st TKR - 2nd knee.
    IMG_8718.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 49
Excellent! you are all up at the NVZ, so you obviously are good players. As I am trying to move up, I now play some dinking only games and games where we all agree to "third shot drop" every time. I think this has helped.
I just came in from 2 hrs at the local community centre.

Keep going and remember, don't worry if you have a little pain, just back off a bit.

One of our Admins posted that we have to be carefull with cementless as the bone growth could be impacted by too much activity. I am listening and agree.
 
An update on cementless v cemented knee replacement.

My cementless has had a longer rehab time v the cemented. I was able to play pickleball early, but that doesn't require running. With my cementless, I only felt comfortable running after 8 months. I only needed 3 months for the cemented. I didn't have any real issues from this TKR and have been mobile, but full recovery has been longer. I feel really good now and feel stronger when running, after each soccer game. I have now started hack squats and feel comfortable doing those.

So, if your cementless TKR is taking a bit longer to rehab, don't worry, you will get there and feel strong in the end.
 
Thank you for a wonderful update, and the comparison between the two.
 
@wilsonma - just wondering how your recovery is going? Asking as I'll be having a TKR later this year (likely cementless) and was hoping to find out more on the differences in the recovery process between cemented and cementless...thanks in advance!
 
@pavsmartbone This poster (wilsonma) has not been on the Forum in almost a year, so you are not likely to receive a reply from him.

If you'd like to share your surgery date, we will add it to your signature. Please post it in the appropriate month's thread in the Knee Pre-Op forum.

We'd love to support you with personalized advice as you prepare for surgery. If you would like that help,
please check out our Insiders Club. As an Insider, you will be able to start your own threads, chat with other members and receive prompt answers to your questions or concerns.

As a non-profit, we depend upon member contributions to keep BoneSmart available.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom