Bilateral TKR Recovery BTKR July 9,2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosie Love slow down, flexion will not come until your knee is not inflamed. We had our surgery on the same day, I just also hit 100 and all the PT's seemed pleased. I found that the harder I tried the more swollen I got. (My scar is a great indicator of swelling, it is perfectly straight when it isn't and ziggy when it is). I started walking around my yard (we live on a hill) and going up and down the back slope. Boy did that set me back!! So now I just cruise the flat parts.
 
Thank you both again for responding to my questions. Gotta say in retrospect my surgeon and his team may have not adequately prepared me for the recovery portion of my adventure. Thank God for people like you! :angel:
I think I sometimes feel lazy because I need to rest so much. I think my husband, lovely man that he is, may be reaching the limit of his care-taking and feels I should be doing more. Not that he is mean about it, but we have been married 30 years, so that is the impression I get. My other helper, Zoe (in the picture) instead sleeps all day and is of no help at all!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovery BTKR July 9,2013
Oh, Rosie Outlook, I think Zoe is a role model for how the first 3 weeks of recovery should be spent. :heehee:
 
Hi Rosie
I am exactly two weeks post BTKR today, just got my staples out. After a good first week and too much "training" and pushing with PT, I had a set back and lost 10 degrees in my ROM for both knees. For the last four days I have worked hard at sitting still, elevating, icing and doing very gentle stretches. I have been taking lessons from my cat Oreo who is often in the same position as Zoe :) Without pushing it, when the PA measured today, I had gained back 5 degrees. They called me at home later to add an appointment and said they were increasing PT to 5 days per week. I told them I absolutely refuse to do PT 5 days per week because there would be no healing time. Thanks to all of the info I have learned here at BS, I felt very confident in telling them so. Good luck with your recovery.
Stacie
 
Hi, Rosie
First, congratulations on arriving here a the "other side"!

I don't know if this would work w/your husband - my own is wonderful and caring, but not really a caretaker. He also subscribes 100% to the theory that the presecription any illness, pain, sore muscle, etc. is activity; if the pain continues, just do more!

I anticipated this and told him pre-surgery that I did not need him to be my doctor or my PT, and that they were the ones to guide how much exertion (and of what kind) would be good for my recovery. He really took that comment to heart and offered NO suggestions along the lines of "well, if you only walked farther/did more exercises..." Since he was an observer of sorts, I asked him to tell me when he saw positive changes in my recovery - and again, he came through like a champ. Just last night he commented on improvements in my walking.

If that fuzzy approach doesn't work, show him a video of the surgery & ask him how he'd feel afterward...
j
 
Thank you all for the feedback. Yes, our pets do know how to relax :sleep:

Guess I need to remember the other mantra about giving things the time they need to resolve themselves. Yes, I am anxious to move forward, but need to continue to relax a bit myself. It just seems so long.

Today my home care PT was frustrated with not getting 100 on both my knees and super forced my knees and made me cry and I am paying for it now. Took my pain pills and hope to nap a bit. 3 1/2 hours of sleep last night so I am a bit worn out.

This was the last day for my home care PT so I start with outpatient next week. Hopefully they have the tools to take it a bit easier on me.
 
I think PT feel that it is a failure on their part if we cannot make a certain number!! Rest this weekend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom