Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovery after 6-21-21 Surgery

Standing in one place can be hard even 3 months out. You might spread out those household tasks over a couple of days if you aren't already doing that.
 
Ok so...I wish I had never had this surgery!!!! I'm in pain, with every step, I guess its swollen, I really dont know. It wont bend. Laying down, if I try to bend it up it feels I'm gonna tear something inside it. I can barely do my job, clean my own house, and I cannot grocery shop for myself. And it's been over 2 months and I know yea it takes a yr but I'm 43. I have bounced back from stuff faster than this. Whyyyyy is it staying constantly swollen??? Theres NEVER a moment it feels normal. I just think I made the worst decision of my life :bawl::bawl::bawl:
 
Unfortunately age doesn't make much of a difference in this recovery. It sounds to me like you knee is staying swollen because you are doing too much too soon. Working and cleaning the house at 2 months is a LOT of activity for a baby knee. It will get better, but you need to give it a chance to heal.
 
I just came from appt with my regular dr. Not the surgeon. She said I went back to work too early and she gave me excuse for the rest of this week to try and rest. I'm having quite a bit of pain. So maybe I should take her advice. I realize now I have been doing too much too soon. :unsure:
 
Try not to think of resting, or doing less, as slacking off, think of it as giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal. :flwrysmile:
 
@Jobiwan I had my TKR 7-8 and I’m feeling the same way you are. I’m 3 years older than you but we feel like we should be able to just bounce right back and unfortunately we need to slow down and let it take it’s course. I had my first scope on mine when I was 14 and 3 more before I was 21, had a cadaver tendon when I was 26 that lasted me approximately 19 years until I couldn’t take the bone on bone pain and osteoarthritis pain anymore and had the TKR. Some days I wish I wouldn’t have but everyone tells me it will get better so all we can do is hope for the best and ride it out. We will get there:friends:
 
@Rollergirl46 yes thank you! I get so discouraged and now I'm worrying I wont gave a have a good ROM because my dr yesterday said I was "kinda" ok with mobility at this point. I'm walking on my own so I'm not sure what she meant (?) I stayed home today but I'm sitting here with it propped up and in pain. And it was swollen as soon as I sat up in bed. Sooo aggravating. Thinking maybe I should do more PT but that would only make it more swollen right?? Just dont know what to do...
 
@Jobiwan - I found that nonstop ice and elevation helped the swelling and the pain.
I think that PT is not a good idea at this time. I found that their exercises only made things worse. If you read about ROM in the search section here, you will find that it is about time, and everyone is different. The best help for me getting ROM was walking heel to toe. AND keeping that swelling in check.
Good luck, and this too shall pass.
 
Last edited:
What @Taoquest said!

It takes a good 8-12 weeks on average for everything to heal. The rest is all effort to get things moving again.

I used to do exercises right in the store early on. I took every opportunity I was upright to work on high knees, toe presses, everything. Embarrassed my wife but I didn't care, if I was walking I needed to work on things, that's how I did it.

The one thing I would change if I had to do it all over again, THE ICE!!! I dumped it too soon. While I would elevate, I undervalued the ice. Even today I will throw an ice pack on, not because I have to but because I want to. To keep that swelling at bay because it can cause all sorts of problems for me if I let it get out of control.

Being a proud member of the ODIC and a founding member of the Bonehead Club with @Ghostpipe , I did everything wrong. I pushed too hard to fast, I climbed ladders, I fell, you name it, I tried to wreck this surgery.

Was I in pain? Heck yeah. But for me, the pain wasn't anything near as bad as before surgery. Even within days after the surgery I was like "this is a cake walk!". So I think that really played into my approach to things. And yes, it's frustrating, it's emotional and there are times you want to give up. BUT (big butt :snork: ), it will be worth it when it's all said and done!
 
@Jobiwan and @Rollergirl46 I'm about the same age as both of you, but a little ahead of you in recovery since my RTKR was on May 17th. I just wanted to tell you guys that it gets so much better! My knee is not 100% by any means, but it feels so much better than it did just weeks ago. I went on a little hike this weekend and did about 3 miles and it was my left knee that made me turn around (I'm having it done this fall). I took that as a win because it meant that my RTKR was so worth it!

Hang in there. Make yourself rest, ice, elevate! My most difficult periods in the first couple of months were when I tried to do too much. Do your stretches and PT if it feels good, but don't push it too far!

My PT said in his 20+ years of helping TKR patients, younger people often have a more difficult recovery because we end up having to go to work too soon after surgery, and generally just overdo it way too much. So take it easy and take it from me that it will get better, it's just a sloooowwww process.
 
My PT said in his 20+ years of helping TKR patients, younger people often have a more difficult recovery because we end up having to go to work too soon after surgery, and generally just overdo it way too much.
I totally agree with this, I see it all the time here on Bonesmart!

I get so discouraged and now I'm worrying I wont gave a have a good ROM because my dr yesterday said I was "kinda" ok with mobility at this point. I'm walking on my own so I'm not sure what she meant (?)
Please try not to worry about your ROM. This recovery takes an average of a full year for everthing to heal. 2 months post op is way too early to worry about not getting a good outcome. You’ve been doing a lot of activity, and resting for a couple of days is not enough time to see a lot of progress. It will come, trust the time mantra!

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Thank you guys soooo much for all the encouragement!! It really helps me feel I'm not alone in all this :console2:
 
Hey guys! Haven’t posted in a looong time. Things are going as expected. I’m 9 months post surgery now. I do have a concern though. My knee has been hurting for most of last week. And swollen. I am doing a bit more walking than I was. And this past week was kinda physically hard at work. But walking should help right? And why am I having pain and swelling 9 months out??
 
Hi @Jobiwan , I suspect that the pain you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Aches and pains occur after using muscles and joints in manner that haven't been used to - including duration of use.

In my case, I tend to workout almost everyday, doing almost the same routines. My body adjusted to those routines and I'd generally not experience aches and pains as a result. I can walk an hour without problems but if I walked an hour and a half, I'll ache a bit after, if I walk two hours, I'd ache a lot more.

Hopefully with some rest, elevation and/or icing, you'll be good to go.
 
Has anyone had a failed knee implant?? Just wondering what the symptoms are…
 
Unfortunately yes, there are failures, the symptoms can vary. Maybe you should make an appointment with your surgeon and get some X-rays, at least for peace of mind that all is well and you just need more time to heal.

Healing from a joint replacement takes an average of a year, some of us take up to 2 years. At 9 months you are not fully healed. I had a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. (My shoe first year was pretty rough.)

But walking should help right?
Yes, walking is good, but walking more than your knee wants is not good. I know it’s hard, especially after 9 months, but try to be patient with your knee, it’s doing the best it can to heal. Try to keep it as happy as you can.
 
Hey guys!! Haven’t posted in a while. All is well and it’s now been over a yr since surgery. I have recently tried to start working out like I used to. But I do not have the range of motion needed to do certain exercises. I just wondered…will I ever be able to squat down to the floor or sit cross legged on the floor???? Thanks guys!
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
I can't, but I don't really want to. The things I need and want to do, I can!
 
Back
Top Bottom