TKR Recovery after 6-21-21 Surgery

I'm 3 weeks post op right tkr, and still have no appetite. And I'm a chunky gal who loves to eat lol. I guess this is normal? Sucks because I dont really.take pain meds except at night when I've finally managed to eat something.
 
It’s pretty normal and especially with pain meds. I kind of welcome the weight loss it’s keeping it off that’s the hard part.
 
I was the same. I never lose my appetite but I did post surgery. Just try to eat a little bit for each meal. Try to find some things that are at least relatively healthy that have any appeal to you.
 
The "no appetite" has been consistent since the TKR?

I ask because at the ~3-week point, I started having stomach aches & no appetite. Turned out to be a very, very unpleasant case of C. diff, which is a serious intestinal infection I likely got due to taking antibiotics & having surgery (TKR) in a hospital. Important to get an infection like that diagnosed & treated as soon as possible -- getting over it is agonizingly slow & also sometimes take multiple treatments.
 
@Kneeophyte yes it's been consistent since surgery. I dont have any stomach issues. Just blah and food has no appeal to me which has never happened.
 
It is usual to lose ones appetite when recovering as pain occupies our minds most of the day, try eating little and often, treat yourself to tasty meals and remember you need to eat to protect yourself from the pain Medications otherwise you will get all sorts of tummy disorders.
I always kept a bowl of fruit close by and insisted on my hubby cooking tasty meals ...how often does one get waited on, so lap it up xxx
 
I had to visit my dr today because my PT said yesterday that my shin looked infected. It wasnt. But I took a cane instead of walker and then went to store but rode the buggy thing. Wasnt gone that long. And the rest of this day I've been in bad pain and swelling. I guess I pushed it too far but it seemed like such simple stuff very discouraging.
You're still very early into a recovery that takes a long time.
I found for several months that I could only do one extra thing in each day.

You've had very major surgery and you can't bounce back quickly from that. It takes a full year for all your tissues to be completely healed and there's nothing you can do to speed that up. You will be able to do most thing by about 3 months, though.

Being patient is very hard for me. Does anyone know when the swelling goes down?? And how long before you can walk without any assistance ??
Patience is going to be your best friend. Allowing your knee all the time it needs to recovery is a good investment.
Dig deep and use all the patience you can fine. It will help to make your recovery easier.

It could be months before all your swelling is gone.

Walking without assistance varies from person to person. Try to look on your walker or cane as just a tool, to help with proper gait and to prevent falls. Don't be in a hurry to stop using them.

I'm 3 weeks post op right tkr, and still have no appetite. And I'm a chunky gal who loves to eat lol. I guess this is normal? Sucks because I dont really.take pain meds except at night when I've finally managed to eat something.
Your appetite will return. Loss of appetite happens to a lot of people.

You need to take your pain medications on a regular schedule and you should always eat a little something with them, even if it's just a cracker.
That helps to keep your stomach happy.
 
By the way, @Jobiwan ,
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle
 
Hey guys, well I go back to work Monday, 4 weeks post OP! Dr said I'm doing very well, ahead of schedule on things. Still only have about 90 or 92 ROM
I'm hoping that gets better as it heals. Woke up in pain last night. Just briefly. Went to hair salon yesterday and by time I got home my leg and foot were swollen. This is no fun at all.
 
Are you going back to work so fast because your employer is making you or because the doc says you're doing so well? Will you be able to take breaks beyond lunch? Do you have somewhere to keep an ice/gel pack at work to use on breaks?
 
I'm not getting paid for being off and I'm on my own so I kinda have to go back. I do alot of sitting so i can prop leg up with ice pack. And PT just left, she did my discharge visit. She said I'm at 106. I thought I was barely past 90. It just feels so stiff it's hard to tell. But I guess that's good
 
You're doing well. Glad to see you can prop up your leg with ice while at work. It may take some experimenting to find a workable set up. I also found it helpful to get up about once an hour if I was sitting for a long time at work and walk around for 1-2 minutes just to loosen up a bit again.
 
Hey guys, has anyone experienced waking up from sleeping well all night, in horrible pain? It's happened just a few times. I'll be sleeping and wake up in morning and its hurting so bad I need a pain pill. Also, I did just a few things yesterday and my knee and leg swelled up. And I only put groceries.away and dusted!! They said I'd swell for at least 3 months but it still worries.me
 
Swelling for 3 months is conservative, I swelled for up to 6 months when I overdid. Icing and elevating are the normal things to do as long as you're having swelling. Ice is also a wonderful pain reducer.
 
Sorry guys I hate to bother you. But I'm worried and dont know of anyone who has had this done!! So last week, was feeling great. Walking almost without a.cane. Saturday, I started feeling very tight around my knee. Cant bend it as easily as I was. And now I'm concerned that I may end up needing MUA!! I'm holding ice on it as much as I can
 
"YOU"are not bothering " US" lol.We are all on the same journey, caring, sharing and giving, getting information. I had a similar experience when I was overdoing my knee..once I backed off on the "strengthening" component , the tightness decreased.As my swelling is slightly decreasing, so is the tight bandedness.
 
Sorry guys I hate to bother you. But I'm worried and dont know of anyone who has had this done!! So last week, was feeling great. Walking almost without a.cane. Saturday, I started feeling very tight around my knee. Cant bend it as easily as I was. And now I'm concerned that I may end up needing MUA!! I'm holding ice on it as much as I can

You are probably overdoing it. I am almost 3 weeks post op and had to slow down quite a bit because my pain was returning. I was being hard headed thinking I was ok to push myself but in turn I was actually doing more harm than good. Try to slow down and give yourself some time to heal. Take care! :) :-) (:
 
Yes, you are overdoing it, causing your new knee to be angry. Increased swelling = decreased bend. Swelling can persist for a year.
You need to ice and elevate.
 
Thanks guys. Yesterday was my 1st day back at work. When I got home I spent entire evening propped up with ice. And yes that tight band feeling has me concerned but reading on here, I think that's to be expected. Elevate and ice are all I seem to get done lol. I know this will take time to heal. I'm trying not to freak over every muscle spasm and pain lol. Thank you all for your support!!
 
Back
Top Bottom