Guest viewing is limited

TKR Recovering

Yes, some of us have experienced back pain. I did and I know it was from moving differently because I was limited in the early days. It sorted itself out in time. :console2:
 
I had my surgery 3 weeks ago on Monday. I am taking Tylenol usually in the morning and I use oxicodone when I go to bed at night and before PT. Some nights its very hard to get comfortable.
I have been sleeping in the spare bedroom so I dont disturb my husband with all my tossing and turning. I went for my 1st walk up and down my small street with my son and walker. It felt good to get out. My therapist said it is better to up and down the street instead of around the block. You may get to far from home and start hurting. I still have swelling and my knee doesnt really hurt but feels weird.
I know my doctor said with hip surgery you may forget which hip you had done but with knee replacement you will always know as it will not feel like the real knee. My question is..... after you've had your knee replacement for a while (after a year of healing) do you ever not think about it constantly. Does it just become part of your life?

I went to pt tonight and got to 120 by myself! I did 8 minutes going backwards on the bike! Still using walker but feeling proud. Hopefully I will be able to sleep through the night. I iced and took an oxycodone! Good night all
 
I had my left knee done 10 years ago and it's golden. Other than the scar I would never know I had it done. I had my right one done 4 weeks ago and am hoping for the same results. Right now I'm just grinding thru rehab.
 
@Flowerqueen

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Hi flower queen - congratulations on your new knee.
I’m only on day 6 post op and whilstoain has mainly been controlled yesterday was a low day b it today I feel a different person so I completely agree on the rollercoaster ride. For me it’s the lack of sleep and lethargy that’s frustrating but I am forcing myself to sit and relax and chill and my Ice machine is my new best friend
Wishing you very well in your recovery xx
 
I had my left knee done 10 years ago and it's golden. Other than the scar I would never know I had it done. I had my right one done 4 weeks ago and am hoping for the same results. Right now I'm just grinding thru rehab.
That is the best news I’ve heard!!! That gives me an incentive to work hard rest and ice.... there is light at the end of the tunnel. I’m only a week behind you with my new knee... god luck to you and your quick recovery
 
Hi flower queen - congratulations on your new knee.
I’m only on day 6 post op and whilstoain has mainly been controlled yesterday was a low day b it today I feel a different person so I completely agree on the rollercoaster ride. For me it’s the lack of sleep and lethargy that’s frustrating but I am forcing myself to sit and relax and chill and my Ice machine is my new best friend
Wishing you very well in your recovery xx
I know what you mean about relaxing. I was the one in the family that took care of everything. It’s hard to let everyone take care of me. But if we do what has to be done (resting, icing) we will soon be back to our old self again. I have started back to working from home after 3 weeks. I do not have a stressful job. If I need to get up and walk around I do. If I need to ice I do. Today is my 4th day and so far so good.
 
Hi flower queen - congratulations on your new knee.
I’m only on day 6 post op and whilstoain has mainly been controlled yesterday was a low day b it today I feel a different person so I completely agree on the rollercoaster ride. For me it’s the lack of sleep and lethargy that’s frustrating but I am forcing myself to sit and relax and chill and my Ice machine is my new best friend
Wishing you very well in your recovery xx
Sorry.... I forgot to wish you a speedy recovery
 
Hi Flowerqueen I am 4 weeks post op from RPKR i too thought i would be good to go back to work at around 4 weeks but it is not the case, Listen to your body and let the knee heal. The members on this forum are great there advice and experience is priceless. They have been through this procedure and share their knowledge. I never imagined the scale of the impact this operation has had. The physical and physiological challengers are hard and you do have good and bad days. don`t be to hard on yourself it just takes time.
 
FlowerQueen! Sounds like your rehab is going fantastically! Just don’t overdo! We have far too many members of the ODIC (over did it club!). 8 minutes on the bike sounds like a long time to me! 120 flex is awesome!
Rollem, I can relate to And sympathize with your sleep challenge! Even with my new adjustable bed, sleep still eludes me! Eventually, this will all pass, I’m sure.
Coker, that‘s the most optimistic report! Thanks for the uplift!
 
FlowerQueen! Sounds like your rehab is going fantastically! Just don’t overdo! We have far too many members of the ODIC (over did it club!). 8 minutes on the bike sounds like a long time to me! 120 flex is awesome!
Rollem, I can relate to And sympathize with your sleep challenge! Even with my new adjustable bed, sleep still eludes me! Eventually, this will all pass, I’m sure.
Coker, that‘s the most optimistic report! Thanks for the uplift!
Wow an adjustable bed!! I’m jealous!! Sounds like heaven
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
Hi Flowerqueen I am 4 weeks post op from RPKR i too thought i would be good to go back to work at around 4 weeks but it is not the case, Listen to your body and let the knee heal. The members on this forum are great there advice and experience is priceless. They have been through this procedure and share their knowledge. I never imagined the scale of the impact this operation has had. The physical and physiological challengers are hard and you do have good and bad days. don`t be to hard on yourself it just takes time.
Believe me I’m not over doing it... when I get tired I go put my get up and ice. Patients is not my strong suit but I’m letting everyone take care of me!!
 
Well, Flowerqueen, don’t be jealous - adjustable bed or not, I STILL can’t sleep :hissy: . I believe I may be stuck with the recliner for the rest of my days:oyvey::censored:!
 
Well, Flowerqueen, don’t be jealous - adjustable bed or not, I STILL can’t sleep :hissy: . I believe I may be stuck with the recliner for the rest of my days:oyvey::censored:!
You‘ve got to think positive.... this too shall pass
 
Hurray!! My surgery was one month ago today!! I do have to say that the first 2 weeks were a blur... I’m so glad I’m on the healing side now... I’m thankful for finding this site!! Today I feel much better. I do have good days and bad. My knee pain is controlled with Tylenol. I do take an oxi codine before PT 2 times a week and before bed. I don’t know if it’s the oxi that makes me wake up at 3am every morning or not. But I find it very hard to fall back to sleep. I was thinking of taking a Tylenol and a sleep aide or benedryl to see if that helps instead of the oxi . Does anyone else know the trick to stay asleep at night?
My Rom is 120 with 0 extension. i went for a 1/2 hour ride in the car with my husband this past weekend and ended up sitting in the back seat so I could keep my leg up... the car seat hits me in the wrong spot and hurts the Inside of my knee. I go to PT tonight (not my favorite thing to do) maybe she will transfer Me from my walker to a cane
 
Hi @Flowerqueen ,
It sounds as if things are going well for you.

Two things; First, it's not a good idea to take Oxycodone before PT, because it masks the pain. Pain during PT is a warning sign that you're doing more than your new knee is ready for. If you mask the pain, you can do too much, which is not good for your knee. Remember what we advised in the Recovery Guidelines -
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
​
Your ROM is good - even better than most, so you have no need to do painful exercises.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Second, sleep disturbance is part and parcel of this recovery. Almost everyone gets it.
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

The secret is to take daytime naps, to make up for sleep lost at night.
Sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can.
 
By the way, I moved your post, above, from your pre-op thread, since you're now in recovery.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread from now on. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.

If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle
 
Flower queen, the trick to falling asleep and staying asleep is TIME! I believe it’s a universal complaint after TKR.
 
Yes, Flowerqueen, sleep is the thing that eluded many of us! I still wake up 2-3 times a night, and I’m at 26 days out now. (One of those awakenings, though is feline-caused! Our old cat demands food at 7:30 reliably. She’s not in my room at night so she wanders the hall meowing, as she has done the past two years!)

I take a sleep tincture and melatonin, and get extra bed time for offsetting sleeplessness. If I awaken and can’t get back to sleep I often check to see who else is active on Bonesmart!

I think I recall that being an issue for at least 6 months last time, too. So I do my best to allow it to be a creative and pleasant time before sleep works again...
 
Last edited:
I went to PT yesterday......I did good. 124 ROM and they graduated me to a cane to use in the house. They did not hurt me but all thru my exercises I couldnt stop crying as hard as i tried..... I guess i have the the post op blues..... ( how embarrassing)!!

Then in the middle of the night I got up to use the bathroom and stubbed my little toe on my good foot on the door jam (ouch)
i have a bruise across the last two toes...........Graceful....I am NOT.
 
Back
Top Bottom