TKR Recovering

@Flowerqueen i had to chuckle at your toe encounter. i was just starting to use the cane a few weeks ago and misjudged the proximity of the cane to my good foot going around a corner and kicked it ... hurt worse than the knee ever did!
 
I also get those crying spells that just won’t stop and yes it’s so embarrassing when it happens in public, and you can’t always just go home!

So sorry about your toe, that literally adds insult ( and more injury!) to injury. :console2:
 
Its always happens during the night. My first morning in bed at home i was struggling to get out of bed like a landed fish when British gas arrived and had to come into the bedroom to open the radiator valve. How embarrassing is that now i have no level of humiliation:heehee: .
It sounds like you are doing great Flowerqueen. Its a long road to recovery.
 
I saw the doctor yesterday for my 4 week check up. He said I was doing extremely well. I told him i dont feel it. He said all the pains and swelling are normal and to keep elevating and icing. He told since my ROM is 124 I can cut back my PT to 1 time a week as long as I use my stationary bike at home. He wanted me to stop the oxicodone and take Tylenol pm at night. I took the Tylenol pm last night at 10:00 and was awake until 3:00 with a horrible pin and needle feeling all over. I called the doctor today and she said It must be a reaction to the Benadryl that is in the Tylenol pm. She told me instead of just stopping the oxicodone at night. cut on in 1/2 tonight and in 1/4 tomorrow night to ween myself off it. Hopefully this works.
 
oh my aching back!! Has any one else had back and hip pain after TKR.
 
My back had issues, it eventually settled down.
 
Yes, @Flowerqueen, I have been having back pain. Yesterday I was sitting with ice on my leg and a heating pad on my back! I honestly believe my entire body is having to readjust to correct the compensation from having an extremely painful knee that was not carrying its share of the load. Even though my left knee is not nearly as painful as the right was, I’m thinking of having it replaced in the fall so my body can readjust to having better posture.
 
Flowerqueen, yep, both hip and back Pain. Body is trying to adjust to 2 new knees and a different gait!
 
12 weeks tomorrow and I still have the tight band feeling around my knee. I feel like a lot of the time I still walk like I have a peg leg. I have been doing more and more because I refuse to sit around all day. When I do sit for any period of time I feel like I’m 95 yrs old when I stand up. I have to stand slow and let everything settle before I move. I have finally mastered going up the stairs with one foot in front of the other but I can only go do stairs one step at a time while holding on to the railing! I thought by now I would be so much farther along. I know it’s supposed to take a year to get 100%. I remember asking my Pt in May if I would be able to walk the state fair in August and she said y then I won’t have any problem. Well that’s only 5 more weeks away!! I still have a hard time getting comfortable in bed at night. I really don’t have a lot of pain just uncomfortable putting knees together. Sorry for venting!! I will be so glad when I wake some morning and my knee is not the first thing I think about. I worry because I need to get my other knee done eventually and I don’t know if I will have the patience that is needed…
 
We all think we should be further along, but, there is no should, in this recovery.

12 weeks is 25% healed in this year long recovery. What you have described is pretty much where a lot of us are/were at 12 weeks.

 
I’ll be 11 wks tomorrow and boy it’s so frustrating. I too thought I would be much further also in the healing process. I use to be able to walk with my daughter now I’m really lagging behind her. Still can’t walk very well on grass though ours is not nice and flat due to 3 dogs, lol. They all say I’m walking good but I know it isn’t anywhere close to how I walked prior to surgery. I would love to sleep on my side but barely manage 30-40 min before it becomes too uncomfortable. Still struggle to get out of the car. I have no stairs so no idea but I’m sure I wouldn’t do very well going down. This is my second knee and I knew it was slow but being back after 8 years I guess I forgot how painfully slow it was. Hopefully we will look back on this in 6 months and be in such a better place. At least I pray so, lol. Hard to see the future though when your smack in the middle of it, ugh! I feel your frustration:groan:
 
I found myself nodding while reading your update @Flowerqueen. I could have written it! I’m a few days ahead of you and experience many of the issues you mention. I wish I had answers for us but I do offer encouragement that we’re not alone and sometimes i might have to let go of plans for activities as my energy level and endurance are still low. I remind myself of how it was prior to my surgery and that it will be better this time next year. I, too, am anticipating surgery on my other knee though no decision has been made. I realize it is unlikely that I will be able to travel for the holidays this year as my family lives 12 hours away. But next year is another story. Hang in there!
 
I wish I had answers for us

Actually, we do have an answer - It’s TIME! I am a month earlier than most of you and I am JUST NOW starting to sleep well, but I am still stiff in the morning, still get zingers, still struggle with lots of little things. I am not even half the distance to this year long recovery. We just have to buck up and wait it out!
 
Hi Flowequeen I have just come in from work and reading your thread is like living my day at the moment. Where my implant is my knee feels good but the tight band feeling around my knee is sooooooo frustrating. I can walk for around 5 minutes before my knee starts to become tight and stiff. I worry a lot about my knee a lot and constantly question weather or not i should have had a T.K.R. i guess we have to trust our surgeons and let the healing process take place. I am writing this while my knee is cooling under a ice pack. I am doing around 2 miles a day at work in short walks but it is tough and i wished i was further along the recovery but there is very little you can do but be patient and support each other.
 
It will be 4 months on Thursday that I had my right knee replaced and still can’t easily go down stairs. Also when I sit at work when I do stand up I have to wait for everything to settle before I can walk.. anyone else have these issues
 
Yes, I did. Going downstairs usually takes longer to be able to do. Some of us just heal a tad slower than some others. At 4 months you are 1/3 healed. :bored:

How are other things coming along?
 
Hi Flowerqueen, you are not alone. I am at almost 5 months and have not mastered going down stairs normally. I also get stiff all over when I sit for a long time at work. I hope this will still get better with time. I now remind myself to get up and walk at least a few steps every 30 minutes. This really helps the overall stiffness.
This really is such a loooooong recovery. :tiredwheel:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom