TKR Recovering from TKR Jan 28/20

I get that too. And I just massage it for a while. That seems to help. Sounds like you’re doing well. My pain is pretty minimal these days. More like an ache. Trying to get my knee to bend more each day. I see your name is aries. Are you a March birthday?
 
Yes I am a March birthday. I have tried massage as well which does seem to help a bit. Ice packs also help. I am going to see physio on Monday, so I will ask him. Most of the time it is OK but ache seems to come on after exercises. Hopefully, it will pass soon.
 
Wow, just got thru 20 "backward" rotations (about every 5th one) on very, very high cycle in PT at 4 1/2 weeks this week. Still can't bend enough for any forward rotations though or going down stairs.

Find the cycle and elliptical both helping a lot with the stretching and (very) slowly increasing some ROM. Much less painful than heel slides.
 
Wow, just got thru 20 "backward" rotations (about every 5th one) on very, very high cycle in PT at 4 1/2 weeks this week. Still can't bend enough for any forward rotations though or going down stairs.

Find the cycle and elliptical both helping a lot with the stretching and (very) slowly increasing some ROM. Much less painful than heel slides.

I am at 4 1/2 weeks right now too. I have an exercise bike but haven’t been able to master a full cycle. My knee is still stiff but the pain is much more manageable. I take Tylenol maybe twice a day plus Celebrex. I’m walking more and actually made dinner tonight! Yay!
Still icing and raising my leg. Starting to sleep better at night too!
Seems there IS a light at the end of this long tunnel!
I have to decide whether I want to go thru this whole ordeal again with my other knee. A huge decision.
 
Now that I'm almost 7 weeks out from my TKR I'm bummed about the numbness on the lateral, (outside), part of my right knee. Searched for "numbness" & found Qdogpa's question.
Everything else is healing up quite nicely, but from my incision to a point past the middle of the side of my knee it's numb and still a bit swollen. Still "clunky" too, a spot that brings on pain while sitting, standing and especially during some PT exercises. I always let 'em know when we're getting near the pain zone & we dial it back or call it good.
My experience mirrors Josephine's mapping of the numbness from the BoneSmart library & as always, the info found here is worth it's weight in gold. Thanks to everyone for sharing!
 
Hi joha123; sorry to hear that you're in pain. I get that same stabbing pain on the inside of my left knee. I keep ice on my knee constantly. the ice seems to numb the area nicely. if it gets real bad I'll take some pain meds. if your family doctor won't write opioids; then maybe you should call your surgeon and maybe he or she can prescribe you something stronger. hang in there it gets better
 
I am now at 6 weeks post op today. I’m walking pretty good but if I stand too long it gets very stiff and sore so I have to raise and ice it. My scar is healing up nicely but my knee is still red and hot especially the lower part. Is anyone else experiencing this?
 
4 weeks post op tomorrow. Still quite sore, very hard to sleep, but it helps a lot to see in here that I'm in very good company. PT today, so no sleep tonight..... Does anyone else get frustrated with this process? it seems like there can be a good day, then the next is bad again. Trying to stay as positive as I can, but can't help but to wonder if I'm doing the right stuff to make this go on the right direction.
 
Outside of knee if super numb, but that's nerve cutting surgery! Probably will never be 100%. My right leg was numb for years after a ruptured disc and spinal fusion, but a bit did eventually come back so I could feel a needle wheel running up and down it.

My biggest problem right now is overdoing and then being stiff and sore. Just hard to find the sweet spot. And we had little winter and now have an early spring so I am out in the garden doing stuff. It lets me know when it is time to ice and elevate.
 
I am 6 weeks and sitting here with a frozen bag of peas on my “hot” knee. Still really warm and pretty stiff sometimes and a few days ago had a red spot about two inches on kneecap that came and went. So variable
 
Joha My first knee replacement which I had in 2015 was fairly warm. Consultant told me this was quite normal and could last up to 6 months which is did and then settled down. My recent replacement which is 5 and a half weeks is slightly warm but not as hot as my first one
I think that it is fairly normal.
 
Just want to know if anyone’s knee has some redness and feels warm still after 6 weeks?
Oh, yes, that is quite normal. The heat and redness is a sign of your body working on healing that knee. Mine stayed warm off and on for at least 4 months. Remember, this is year-long recovery. You are less than 1/6 of the way totally healed. Your knee will have all kinds of strange feelings for the next few months. As long as your knee is not hot and cools down some after resting it and not getting hotter, you should be just fine. I also had some redness after activity for a few months. If you are really concerned you can always call your doctor.
 
Stiff, achy, warm and red..check...7 weeks post op today, Pt pushed a tad more then usual, and now back to the Tylenol 500’s and ice... will do noth8ng but ADL’s for a few days...last pt on Friday, will nix the exercise that caused this to ache again...
 
Oh thanks everyone. It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing it’s normal. I go see my surgeon again on Friday so there shouldn’t be any surprises then. My knee is also feeling itchy which I think is a sign of healing as well.
 
Hey haven’t been here for a while. A very strange time for all of us.Hoping everyone is staying well. I am now at 10 weeks post op on my TKR
It is healing up well but I find if I walk a little too much or stand too long it swells and gets very stiff.Guess I’m just impatient. My knee still feels hot has some numb areas and is red and itchy at times. I also feel it aches behind my knee in the fleshy part at back. Not sure if this is all normal I try to go for a short walk each day. I’ll be glad when it’s all healed up for good.
Stay well everyone!
 
Yes, that’s all normal. This recovery takes a long time. A short walk every day is very good.
 
Very normal for a knee that isn't even 1/4 of the way healed yet. Standing in place has always been difficult for baby knees. They like to move. Too much activity will still cause swelling along with standing in place. It's a trial and error learning experience.
 
I had my surgery 11 weeks ago. It’s a slow go but I’m getting around ok. Still feels tight and gets sore quickly. My concern is in the back of the knee. In the soft tissue is where I’m having pain. Does anyone else have that? Not sure if it’s important enough to go into the clinic on Friday. I was thinking of cancelling my appointment because of the virus.
 
Back
Top Bottom