WarriorWoman
new member
After 2 weeks, re-admitted to hospital with infection. Surgery scheduled few days later for debridement hoping to clear out infection. After another week, realized that didn't work so re-admitted for hip removal and hip spacer put in place. The infectious disease doctor is confident we can clear up infection and have a new hip installed in couple of months.
I'm currently on IV antibiotics and using walker for limited ambulation. I've finally started feeling better and working through some depression. My one concern right now is did others have some hip pain from the spacer? It just feels like the spacer is so fragile or maybe I'm just psyched out about something else happening.
Hoping to get in touch...with others who are recovering from infection in their THR's.
Right now in "limbo" I suppose but worsening symptoms is changing that - - I had left hip infection, having had antibiotic thru an iv in the hospital about 4 weeks post op from my surgery of my left THR.
I'm attempting to educate myself as my symptoms are changing since the hospital treatment of antibiotics and having had to go on oral antibiotics as well since.
Don't have a supportive ortho surgeon the one who did my surgery, the jerk denies I needed any antibiotics and that I had no infection ! So I am very much needing to get beyond where I live and had my surgery to get a good ortho surgeon + infectious disease specialist dr.
Was reading about your challenge with having the spacer and difficulty with pain and walking. So sorry to hear that and I hope you are able to find ways to be mobile with a walker and find out what you can do for getting around. I am glad there are others here that can support and answer questions. But I wasn't clear with what Josephine, the nurse posted about the spacer and the photo.
I am worried about my right hip THR done 8 yrs ago, it is starting to have muscle pain & now directly where the implant is, I can barely get weight on my leg for the past 5 days the pain is so intense :( I am so glad to find you and others are here with your challenge of hip infection, sorry you have to have that path truly, but know it will be good to share & support each other.
You are further along than me, having ortho surgeon & infectious dis. dr. & a debridement. Hoping to get a good ortho on board to assess what is going on with both of my THR's & the infection status. What tests did your drs. do in determining implant had to come out & what antibiotic is being used? I had vancomycin in hospital iv then amphycillin for 10 days.
In much fear - - reality of what is happening and what I may have laying ahead of me. Coming here has been a God-send and reading your post - - anxiety & depression at times I pray and know I must stay in positive thoughts - - I pray but until I get good drs. in place my prayers the unknown is scarey. My fear the infection if systemic from initial days pray it is not why my right THR leg (older implant was very successful no problems) and from what I understand any infection subdermal or not can spread. & thru tissue & blood and it can get into the bone where the implant is and both implants now - - similar of reading what you are going thru now too. have much to learn !
Thanks for being here and so hoping the stage with the spacer and your mobility can be resolved in some way and you can get some pain relief.
"Warrior Woman"
(this user-name I picked for the tough path ahead - - to know I possess faith, courage & strength)....it sure helps to know I'm not alone and I hope I can help be support to you for that "warrior" one in you !
United States