Guest viewing is limited

TKR Really swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someday I will be able to not worry about every little ache and pain wondering if I may have done something to damage my new knee. Everything I read on Bonesmart says that the exhaustion will pass but it sure is taking its sweet time I feel like all I do is rest ice elevate and sleep.

#1---Right now, your body is funneling large amounts of energy into the healing of the TKR, so you will certainly feel a loss of energy and stamina. As your body heals, you will notice gains in stamina and energy reserves. It does take longer than we would like---my own recovery took about eight months to return to normal---I was back at work and umpiring baseball games well before that--but, looking back, it was about eight months before I could say that recovery was pretty much a thing of the past.

#2---Those aches and pains will subside! I can literally go for days before I remember that my knees are only five years old and were not "OEM Parts"!
 
Just have to share with everyone that I was halfway down the stairs before I realized I was taking the steps normally not one step at a time! Best part was no pain coming down!
 
Wahayyy! Well done you! I still remember the day that happened to me. What a milestone!
 
Awesome Tomsgirl! Congratulations on your milestone, happy feelings and there are many more to come! :yay:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Really swollen
[Bonesmart.org] Really swollen
What a great milestone to pass!!! I still can't go down comfortably at 15 months post op. Just wonderful for you. Make a note of it. Save all those milestones---they add up and help you remember how far you've come.
 
I am now just over 6wks post- op I still have a feeling of "soreness" on the medial side of my knee. It's not really painful ( well, a little uncomfortable) I am wondering if anyone else had this and if it eventually goes away. This recovery is for the birds it is taking a lot longer than I anticipated and coupled with not given the ok to drive yet by my OS just makes it that much longer. On a good note, I finally was able to pedal the bike in a full rotation! VERY slowly, but I'm still counting it!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Really swollen
Are these the birds you're referring to? They're not happy either. We do try and warn everyone that recovery from TKR takes up to a full year and longer for some. The soreness you're experiencing is perfectly "normal". My knees are both still sensitive to pressure applied after 15 months post op. This to shall pass---but it does take TIME & PATIENCE.


You do not have to be released by your doctor to drive if you really want to drive. Just need to be sure that you can stop hard and suddenly in case of the need do so. So test it out somewhere and only drive short distances to begin with. pdx below is absolutely right--must not have taken a pain med if you're going to drive

[Bonesmart.org] Really swollen [Bonesmart.org] Really swollen on pedaling all the way round---speed is not a requirement---wonderful milestone to pass---this should help cheer you up.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Really swollen
 
That's great news TG! I found that it was harder to go down than to go up stairs, so you are doing well.
 
Excellent on the stairs. On the DRIVING front: Please don't while you're on pain meds -- or within four hours of taking same, whether it's Oxy or hydrocodone or Percocet. Just too risky -- for you and others. It's fine if you're just taking Tylenol or whatever over-the-counter; just not narcotics. You don't want to be in an accident or busted for driving under the influence! That was one of the two big "lectures" I got at discharge -- the other being about blood clots. Don't want to lose a "Smartie"!
 
GREAT ON THE STAIRS. Please be careful when on Pain Pills. You are doing so GREAT!!!!!!!!. Keep it up. Tashia
 
Congrats on the stairs and the bike. Both of those are a BIG deal! Glad to see you moving forward. This is a very slow recovery, and I agree, for the birds...
You are doing great!
 
I will be 9wks post-op tomorrow flex @105 ext 2 so PT increased my exercises to include weights with the quad extension. No pain while there but 2 hrs after I got home it feels like someone took a baseball bat to my knee so now it's elevated and icing with Percocet in the mix. My knee is telling me don't do that again, I' m hopping things get easier but right now at this moment , I can't see that happening.
 
Your knee is telling you did a little bit too much. Next time, try not to work it so hard---do not listen necessarily to the PT---listen to your knee. Resist the notion of "Hard work will get you there sooner" in this case, slow, steady, and gently will get you where you want to be.
 
To be honest, after PT I was tired and somewhat sore, but I never hurt the way that you are right now. I would tell the PT to calm down, so that your knee calms down---do not rush things, and let your knee be the guide as to what you can and cannot do.
 
Agreed. Your knee is driving the bus. You must let it lead the way. I learned (the hard way) that this is truth.
Just back off and you will see success, just not on your timetable...:)
Best,
Sandy
 
I have to agree with everyone else. I really never had a painful pt. I just took it slowly. My rom is around 145, so I would not worry about it this early on. However, you do not want to make your knee hurt---just back off a little from the pt---too early for the weights. Kelly
 
Thanks for the advice, I've cancelled PT for tomorrow and I'm doing the stretches and stationary bike at home. My knee is definitely running this show and I am going to listen to it.
 
I'm not going to PT anymore and I'm at 9 wks post op. But when I did go and here at home I use a 1 lb ankle weight and it was fine. As for the bike - I would do 10-15 minutes at leisurely pace and I would definitely feel it within an hour or two. I wouldn't have considered not doing it though. Maybe not everyday but certainly a couple times a week. You just have to expect that there is going to be a bit of swelling and pain because you have stirred up the muscles and they need to get used to working again and build strength and stamina. Find what works for you.

The lower 2" or so of my incision is very tender while the middle and top portion or just more numb. It all will subside but as others have said it just takes time. I have been down on all fours and while there is some discomfort it doesn't hurt so bad that I can't stand it. My other knee was done 2 years ago so now they both feel about the same (except recovering from the recent surgery).

Otherwise, sounds like you are doing great. I agree also - go ahead and drive already just watch the meds and take short trips until you are comfortable. We actually had our surgery the same day. I've been driving since week 3 but I didn't drive everyday and didn't go far. Even now it gets a little achy if I spend too much time behind the wheel but I am by no means unsafe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom