Guest viewing is limited

TKR REALLY bummed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry! How miserable. I've had my PT modify exercises because my non-TKR knee objects. Thankfully, I've always caught it before it did something like what you've experienced (but I'm always concerned it could happen). I hope the angry knee will relax soon, but I cringe to think about the pain you must be in.
 
You may notice that I have merged your two knee recovery threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

I'm so sorry you've had this happen. I hope your surgeon will have some ideas to help things calm down in these months leading up to your next surgery. Please take things easy, ice and elevate, and take something to help with the pain until things improve. It will get better.....hang in there......this is frustrating but temporary.
 
Hi @bonzie! I am sorry sorry to hear about this, I did the same thing and it hurts more a week after I twisted my LTKA knee. I am 9 weeks today and it hurts a lot where I thought about calling the DR. I had less pain after surgery.

Sending hugs!
 
Hi,
I'm sorry for your pain , hopefully time will make it better, I'm sure it will. You're able to pedal a bike, that's wonderful . I wish I could do what you're doing. Be patient, you've got more healing to do, but if you don't improve to what you expected, you're still doing great. Keep fighting wisely to get better your knee might just take more time than you want it to


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
First RTKR May 2015 - second LTKR Sept. l, 2015. BOTH knees are very stiff. I understand my left knee is only 2 months out but I am wondering why my right knee (now 6 months out) is still real stiff. I asked my OS at my 2 month check-up for my left knee & he said they are not "stiff" because I can bend & straighten both of them. Ok - so now I say they are TIGHT. I am fully functional - driving, shopping, housework, etc. and my flexion and extension on both knees is where it should be (l35/0) - BUT, no matter what I do (still doing PT) I walk stiff legged. I feel like there is a band clamped around each knee - very tight and restrictive. PT says keeping doing exercises. I see no improvement each day. I don't feel this is a normal feeling at least at 6 months! Can anyone relate?
 
The tight band feeling is normal at 6 months, in this year long or more recovery. Stiffness is a form of pain and needs to be addressed, with Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed.
Suspect you are doing too much, your knee is letting you know with stiffness and the tight band feeling, slow down.
Your recovery will improve, then plateau, then improve, you are doing fine.
Here is an article about the tight band feeling.
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
 
Sorry for your discouragement. I am not as far out as you, and appreciate your posting so that I can be aware of future pitfalls. Hope things improve for you soon!
 
I am sorry for your discomfort. I totally know what that's like because I experienced it firsthand and yes, it's common after TKR. However, you are incredibly LUCKY to have such wonderful ROM in both knees. Full recovery takes a year or more- this may seem like forever, but you'll get there!

How about when you first wake up and start moving? A little better, or just as tight? Consider backing off on PT for a few weeks. PTs answer for everything always seems to be "work harder" when what you really need is more rest, ice, and elevation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the good feedback so quickly! I am just so tired about my life being all about my knees. I can't believe how long recovery takes. I feel if I don't exercise my knees they will stay tight/stiff but maybe I should do PT every other day. It doesn't seem to matter how much exercise I do - both knees remain stiff!
 
I am just so tired about my life being all about my knees. I can't believe how long recovery takes. I feel if I don't exercise my knees they will stay tight/stiff but maybe I should do PT every other day. It doesn't seem to matter how much exercise I do - both knees remain stiff!
Yup! All day, every day it is about my knees and it's starting to drive me nuts. I hope you start moving forwards real soon and have no major setbacks.
 
I have that stiffness and feeling like there is a tight band around my knee. It's very slowly starting to calm down but it has gotten a little worse since I started work last week.
 
Hi, Bonzie,

Sorry for all the trouble you have had. Sending positive energy your way.

I am a newbie at 8 weeks post first TKR so I can't advise. I can sympathize with being tired about life being knee focused. I already feel that way and am way behind you with a second knee still to go. I'm tired of the band feeling, the stiffness, the poor sleep, the limited activity...can't imagine having done it twice already. You are very courageous.

We both have to believe it will get better. Hang in there...
 
..I feel if I don't exercise my knees they will stay tight/stiff but maybe I should do PT every other day....
You do PT every day?! What I actually meant was completely STOP for a while (at least two weeks) and see how you feel. Last year, after my first TKR, I quit PT after 8 weeks- it was a good decision. Eventually my knee let me know when it was safe to work on strengthening.
 
Hi, Bonzie,

Sorry for all the trouble you have had. Sending positive energy your way.

I am a newbie at 8 weeks post first TKR so I can't advise. I can sympathize with being tired about life being knee focused. I already feel that way and am way behind you with a second knee still to go. I'm tired of the band feeling, the stiffness, the poor sleep, the limited activity...can't imagine having done it twice already. You are very courageous.

We both have to believe it will get better. Hang in there...
Actually, you aren't that far behind my second TKR. I had it done Sept. 1. I thought about postponing it but my "good" knee dislocated while doing PT for my surgery right knee! For 2 months I couldn't walk on either knee so I was glad to get an early surgery date for my second knee. I am just disappointed that my RTKR is feeling like I just had it done and it was 6 months ago. I am "rehabing" both knees as if I had a bilateral knee surgery.
 
You do PT every day?! What I actually meant was completely STOP for a while (at least two weeks) and see how you feel. Last year, after my first TKR, I quit PT after 8 weeks- it was a good decision. Eventually my knee let me know when it was safe to work on strengthening.
Hi, Clipless - Thanks for your suggestions. I meant I exercised at home every day and have PT twice a week. I just keep thinking if I exercise both knees daily they will loosen up but I am going to take your advice and stop and ice and elevate. I am thinking of purchasing a treadmill to help with my walking. I do not have a "normal" gait.
 
Gait was the hardest thing for me to figure out after my first TKR. As far as you know there's no leg length discrepancy, right? If not then it just takes time. This time around I'm approaching gait training like learning how to play a new song on the piano: break it down. When practicing I take each step slowly and deliberately and make sure every motion is correct. I go so slow as to momentarily balance on each foot. As a result my normal gait seems to be returning faster... fingers x'd!!!
 
The tightness will gradually decrease, although it does seem to take ages. There will come a time when your thoughts all day won't be about The Knees.

i really don't think there's any need for you to go to PT for exercises now - just a little bending and stretching at home will loosen up your knees - but perhaps your therapist could concentrate on helping you with your gait?
 
YOur 6 month knee is probably working hard helping the 2 month knee. Also like everyone says, tightness at 6 months is not unusual. I agree with Celle--your 6 month knee doesn't need pt. I did a little bending and stretching for months but stopped the formal exercises before 6 months.
 
Gait was the hardest thing for me to figure out after my first TKR. As far as you know there's no leg length discrepancy, right? If not then it just takes time. This time around I'm approaching gait training like learning how to play a new song on the piano: break it down. When practicing I take each step slowly and deliberately and make sure every motion is correct. I go so slow as to momentarily balance on each foot. As a result my normal gait seems to be returning faster... fingers x'd!!!
I did have a THR in 2012 which left me with a leg discrepancy but I was told my 2 TKR's would correct that. It was obvious that my left leg WAS shorter that my right after the hip replacement. Maybe it still is???
 
The tightness will gradually decrease, although it does seem to take ages. There will come a time when your thoughts all day won't be about The Knees.

i really don't think there's any need for you to go to PT for exercises now - just a little bending and stretching at home will loosen up your knees - but perhaps your therapist could concentrate on helping you with your gait?
I just cancelled my PT for today. My left knee is as sore as it was the day of my surgery so I can't imagine doing any PT exercises today. I am DEFINITELY leaving the exercises alone and icing! My therapist did watch me walk and gave me a few suggestions which I am trying to follow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom