THR Re-evaluate life after THR?

It’s been 9 days since my THR and my right foot and ankle are swollen as expected. What did you wear on your swollen foot? I getting to be confident take short walks outside. Thanks
 
Good morning @ThrInOntario,
It is important to not wear any shoes from pre-surgery. The wear patterns are from the gait where your body compensated for the bad hip.

I got a new pair of Skechers with the bungee laces. Nothing to tie. They easily fit a long handled shoe horn if needed.
 
I was able to loosen the laces on my regular shoes and ease my foot in. I experienced what you are, tons of swelling in my foot and ankle.. I found elevating to be key, along with icing.
Also, your swelling is most likely less in the mornings so maybe take advantage of that to slip some shoes on.

What @HollyNY said above in her post is so true. Wearing any of your pre op shoes will have a wear pattern that won't help your new hip. So many people have commented on their Skechers.. might be worth a try.

You may have read this article on the proper way to elevate but just in case I will
leave it here
 
How are you doing on this one month anniversary of your surgery?
Let us know when you have time. I hope your weekend is a good one. Happy One Month Anniversary!
@ThrInOntario
 
Will be seeing my surgeon next week.

The swelling seems to be gone.

On nice days, I can walk up to 700m or so before my hip get sore. It can still snow here, so I avoid going outside when it does. I have a Deskcycle and use it daily, 12 minutes at a time. I am also working out my upper body every second day with 15 minutes intervals training with push ups, renegade rows, seated presses and pull ups. No lower body work at all aside from carefully getting off the floor.
 
Hi @JusticeRider , What do you think of Warrior 1 and 2. Both were difficult for me before surgery, particularly the transitions. I am 6 weeks post op and have not done lower body stretches yet.
 
@ThrInOntario, I moved your post out of Sammy-Am's thread to your own thread. You don't want to railroad that one. All questions should be in your thread. Thank you.
 
Hi @ThrInOntario , glad to hear your swelling has reduced! As far as the warrior poses, I couldn’t really advise specifically, only because you’ve had a THR and I’ve had FAI /labrum surgery and a partial knee replacement, but not a THR. The only thing I would suggest is that when you decide to introduce warrior poses, go slowly, listen to your body, and if it hurts, back off. You might try starting with your feet closer together first. Good luck with your recovery and happy spring up there in Canada!
 
Hi Everyone,

I think this is normal, but thought I would ask for your experience. In week 6 post op now. When I get up from seating more than 30 minutes or so, or from bed first thing, my operated on hip feels stiff / slight painful. It’s certainly less painful than pre surgery, but the pain is there, but goes away after moving around for bit. Is this your experience as well?

Thanks.
 
Yep.....this is very, very normal. For some people it goes away eventually. But, for others it take a few steps to get "loosened up" when getting up in the morning or after sitting for a while.
 
So I tried a CBD gummy before sleeping last night. Note, I am in Canada, and it is perfectly legal. Anyways, it didn’t help with getting to sleep, but I slept through the night without waking at 3am as I had in the past couple of weeks. What may be of interest to folks here, is that there is much less soreness/stiffness when I got out of bed first thing, and when I got up from the breakfast table.
 
There you go! You are lucky to have that option in Canada. I've heard that from my clients with the medical card which allows them to purchase. That it helps them sleep through the night.
My disclaimer here is that those living where it's not legal, please don't go self medicating!
 
Last edited:
It's also legal here. I just use the melatonin ones and they do work. I've been making Turmeric tea with ginger supposed to be good for your joints, figure can't hurt. I've only been making for about 2 weeks. I make a half gallon pitcher, add a little honey and keep in frig and grab some when I'm thirsty, it's very tasty.
Sleep for me is either a great night's sleep or waking up at 1AM and then my mind goes to work and I have difficulty falling back to sleep.
 
Update on CBD gummy. I tried another one over the weekend, and the gummy seemed to keep me up. So my advice is to not use the gummy if you are trying to sleep.

In other news, I walked my dog without using my cane for the first time yesterday. Walked about 700m. I still can't walk much more than that without feeling it in my THR hip/glut. Looking forward to next week, when I will be cleared to start doing lower body exercises.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Congrats on beginning your transition away from the cane. You'll be walking without support in no time.
I hope you have a nice week! :SUNsmile:
@ThrInOntario
 
Has the THR triggered you to reevaluate life? I am a year post operation now for one hip and will eventually need to have the other hip done. Been back at work since week 6 and it’s becoming clear I don't enjoy it after many years in the the career. The THR reminds me that I am no longer young. Perhaps it's time to done something else.
 
Hello and Welcome! Thanks for joining us.
Yes, I think the "pause" does have us reflecting on life and re-evaluating priorities. At 58, you potentially have many years ahead of you, but certainly a major surgery does cause one to reflect and gain a new appreciation for the little things in life that we so easily took for granted. All the best as you plow your path into the future! :SUNsmile:
Enjoy the weekend!

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
I've edited your thread title to elicit responses to your question.
 
@ThrInOntario It seems any significant life event seems to elicit some reflection. There are always insights and lessons we can learn. My big revelation at the time was to never take myself for granted. I know that sounds a bit vague but it includes never enduring physical pain like that ever again (if it can be avoided) and not putting myself second when change needed to happen. It does give you the sense that, seeing how fragile your health can be, that time is too precious to be wasted being unhappy, stressed, and stuck in life. Sometimes little changes can do the trick and sometimes bigger changes, which take more courage, need to happen. I think one of the best mantras I learned from one of my mentors was "choose joy" whenever deciding anything in life. Then the choice is always going to be for your higher good and ultimately, everyone else's as well. Blessings.
 
@ThrInOntario
I don’t let my new hips dictate my age. I’m doing almost everything I did 10 yrs ago, 20 yrs ago, maybe doing more activity. More quality activity.
That’s what keeps me going. I agree with @Layla , you have a lot of years ahead of you.

Now the work thing, I agree, I’ve been working in some capacity since I was 17, and 30 yrs at my current company, currently in an executive role, yes, my brain hurts. I’m tired of always having to be “ON”. Need a few more years though, my daughter will start college in the fall, Cha- Ching.
 
Back
Top Bottom