TKR Rapid Rehab in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now at 7 1/2 weeks...

The most exciting thing for me was.... HEELS!!!
I wore a conservative pair of heels in the office for 10 hours today, Yippee
[Bonesmart.org] Rapid Rehab in progress
Also, my PT got me jogging on the treadmill for 4 min, back squats with the 45 lb bar, and lunges. Looks like I'm almost back to better than "normal" Going to Zumba in a week.

Sooo, my experiment for rapid recovery is a success.
Hope this will help someone else out someday.

Best wishes to everyone in whatever phase of recovery you may be.
 
Yours is a remarkable story, congratulations on your recovery so far. I hope you can indulge a few questions:

1) What role do you think the Game Ready machine, specifically the compression function, played on you rapid recovery?

2) Did you use a stationary bike or your road bike on a trainer early on in your recovery?

3) Did you surgeon understand/support your rapid recovery program? It seems a common approach among surgeons to emphasize only "functional" activity during the first couple of weeks of recovery. My surgeon, who is also a cyclist as I am, understood that I wanted to get back on the bike ASAP, and I preferred a recovery program that would help me accomplish that. I know their are other surgeons who are supportive of more active recovery, but it seems less common. Anyway, just curious about the support you received from your surgeon in the rapid recovery program.

Thanks!
 
Yours is a remarkable story, congratulations on your recovery so far. I hope you can indulge a few questions:

1) What role do you think the Game Ready machine, specifically the compression function, played on you rapid recovery?

I used the Game Ready for comfort and compression. I have done some research, and my opinion is that ice is not the best tool to use after the acute surgical recovery phase. I stopped icing after 4 weeks and just used compression and massage. Ice slows blood flow to tissue and I was trying to heal my tissue with increased blood flow carrying all the immune fighting components (macrophages, red cells, etc) to my muscles. I did a lot of lymphedema management and added a electrical stim device for a short time. Ice is good for pain management and comfort, though.
2) Did you use a stationary bike or your road bike on a trainer early on in your recovery?
As an outdoor cyclist, I have a computrainer set up with my road bike. I was on my bike with full rotation at a VERY slow cadence on POD #6. I left the seat at the usual level and left my clipless pedal on the surgical side actually attached to the bike. I just put my foot in and out of the shoe already attached to the bike. I am now doing my regular 45 min training workouts and rode for a short bit outside the other day. I have a bike trip planned in CA for this April, about 60 miles a day, and I am traveling to Italy for a bike tour in September and need to be able to climb the Dolomites! My PT has said that stationary biking is the best thing I can do to strengthen my quad early on. I can now pedal standing, that took an extra few weeks to accomplish.
3) Did you surgeon understand/support your rapid recovery program? It seems a common approach among surgeons to emphasize only "functional" activity during the first couple of weeks of recovery. My surgeon, who is also a cyclist as I am, understood that I wanted to get back on the bike ASAP, and I preferred a recovery program that would help me accomplish that. I know their are other surgeons who are supportive of more active recovery, but it seems less common. Anyway, just curious about the support you received from your surgeon in the rapid recovery program.
My surgeon ROCKS. I hand picked him because his patients have been doing remarkably well post op. More important though, I credit my PT with my rapid progress. I went to 2 PT's prior to surgery and chose the one that would treat me as an individual, not just a "recipe" for knee recovery. I also really worked hard at recovering my muscle strength and function rather than just ROM.

My surgeon knows me well because I see him in the OR. I am a surgeon too. He came over to my room to see if I was actually working on day 21 as I planned. He was doubtful pre-op that my schedule that I set for myself would pan out, but now he is a believer.

[/QUOTE]
 
Thanks for the replies! I am day 11 post op and have yet to get on my trainer. I use a Wahoo Kickr and the resistance on the start up revolutions are substantial, but after the first couple of rotations then the wattage settings take over, but I am sorting out how to deal with the initial rotations. I use speedplay pedals and my plan is to not clip in at first and just do easy rotations and then progress to clipping in, depending on how it feels.

It does seem that at some point icing has to have decreased benefits. It seems to help with decreasing swelling and it does help with pain relief for me post-exercise. Point well-taken about the decreased benefits of icing, but I guess the issue is when do the benefits outweigh the costs?

Compression as a healing strategy eludes me and some PTs/Docs advocate its use and others do not see it as part of a recovery routine. It seems to have benefits in your rapid recovery. I might try a Cothera Cold Compression unit that is less costly than the Game Ready, but its downside is a relatively short life (~500 hours) for the compression portion of the unit. However they can be had for $300-400. At my stage post-op, I still think there is time to reap any potential benefits from compression.

Selecting a doc and PT you can work with for surgery and recovery is a key part of the process and sounds as if you did your homework. It took me 2.5 years to find a surgeon and fortunately, the person I plan to go to for outpatient therapy is on I have worked with in the past on cycling/knee issues and we have compatible ideas and personalities, so that helps.

I wish you continued success in your recovery and your upcoming cycling trips! The Dolomites are on my list and if all goes well with my recovery, I might do the broken link removed: https://cinghiale.com/portfolio/mightydolomiti2015 this or next year. Check them out!
 
Well Metalheart, you and I sound like kindred souls.

I have ridden with Andy, many of my friends have done a Cingale tour or two. He has come out to the training camp in CA that I go to to ride in the past. Actually, I say I "rode with him" but actually I started with him, saw him at the rest stops and at the end. I can't keep up!

I am going to Italy with a similar group, Eros Poli with InGamba. We did this a few years ago and rode Alp d'huez Col de l'Izoard and a bunch of others that I can't spell. Since you have some down time, you should look at his website. Google InGamba bike tours. We are doing a private tour Tuscany and the Dolomites in Sept.

On my trainer, at first I kept all resistance off and just put it in an easy gear to spin. I wore regular sneakers at first and positioned the pedal more under my arch than on the ball of my foot. I started by rocking back and forth, then backward, then after I got all the fibers in my knee warm, finally got rotation forward with a little hip "hike" at first. It got easier and easier daily. I was on the bike for 5 min twice a day for first to weeks to keep the knee loose.

If you want to private message me, we can talk more about icing and cycling. I don't want to bore all the others.

Take care
 
Hello Saaryla,

Thanks again for the reply. About the icing: during your acute recovery phase (the first four weeks): what kind of icing regimen did you use? I would guess the Game Ready is a more efficient icing method since it encloses the entire knee in the compression sleeve?

I have spoken with Andy a couple times on the phone inquiring about his Italy biking tours. Seems like a great guy. A friend (Bill Holland in San Diego) also did one of his tours and speaks very highly of him and his Italy bike experiences. If you travel much for cycling, you might take a look at broken link removed: https://hollandcycles.com/holland-exojet/ frame. It packs down into a suitcase for travel. I think Bill's travel experience to Italy convinced him to design this frame. I will PM you more about this.
 
8 weeks, 3 days today...

Major accomplishment today, jogged 1 mile on the treadmill and walked the rest for 25min total.
Something "clicked" at 8 weeks, finally sleeping and swelling really lessening. There is hope :dancy:

Keep working at it folks, it is worth it to get full recovery.
 
Keep up the good work @Saaryia you're doing great. I think everyone has a point where they finally catch their stride and it's impressive that yours was so early. I'm 10 weeks out and feel like my "click" point will be anytime now.
 
I have spoken with Andy a couple times on the phone inquiring about his Italy biking tours. Seems like a great guy. A friend (Bill Holland in San Diego) also did one of his tours and speaks very highly of him and his Italy bike experiences.

Bill Holland, as in Holland Bicycles? That's a great shop with lots of eye candy! I head in there occasionally to drool at the inventory.
 
8 weeks, 3 days today...

Major accomplishment today, jogged 1 mile on the treadmill and walked the rest for 25min total.
Something "clicked" at 8 weeks, finally sleeping and swelling really lessening. There is hope :dancy:

Keep working at it folks, it is worth it to get full recovery.

Your accomplishment shows the result of your hard work and focus on a rapid recovery. It shows all of us that there are different paths to returning to an active life and it is inspirational. As you said early in your posts, it may not be the path for everyone, but knowing you and others here have had successful rapid recoveries helps to open the field of what is possible!

RedRider: Yep, Bill Holland in San Diego built my bike (an Exogrid) and I consider him a friend since we worked very closely on a bike that would meet my needs. Bill is a great fellow, a dedicated cyclist, and an artist when it comes to building bikes that meet the needs of his clients. You need one of his bikes!
 
HaHa pdx, thanks.
I haven't been on the website for a week or so.
The shoes are Fidji, they have a really stable heel base and rubber bottom. I don't ever wear leather bottom heels, too much danger of slipping.
I'm a Zappos shopper.
 
Yes---please keep posting and tell us more of your cycling in the cycling section of the forum!

I also like Zappos---but I have wide feet and I have to try to the shoes on before I buy them---I end up buying most of my shoes from a physical store.
 
@Saaryia
You've made excellent progress.

As you said, your approach is not for everyone (we usually recommend a slow and steady approach) but it has worked well for you. I'm glad!
 
Thanks @Celle
I just got home from PT, we are doing one more visit, then I'm discharged.
I made it through a full Zumba class Monday night (10 weeks to the day). I did a Google search for Zumba after TKR and didn't find anything, so for those who want to shake your booty, please know that it is possible.
I'm going again tonight.

I found the cycling area, too.

I'm certain there will be days worse than others, but I'm setting my first goal in April to participate in a pretty rigorous group cycling week in CA. That is why I had to make my recovery rapid.

Take care all.
 
Thanks for the shoe info. I love being able to wear heels again -- though sadly, stilettos no longer work for me. Oh well; at almost 66, I can live with that. And congratulations on your recovery. I can't wait for warmer weather here in the NW so I can get back out on my bike -- I'm a fair-weather cyclist.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom