Guest viewing is limited

TKR R TKR May 6

Thanks so much for being here, like friends encouraging.
Thanks for continuing to share your journey with others. It is appreciated.
Wishing you comfort as you are healing. :)
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Wanderer!
Wishing you a fantastic August 2024...hope you're enjoying so far!
@Wanderer123#
 
Thanks Layla. I finished the outpatient PT this past Friday, so I will continue with the printed out exercises they gave me. My back acted up as a result of the exercise bike at that last PT session, and fortunately I was able to move my initial pain management doctor appointment for my back to this past Tuesday. This doc scheduled me for a steroid injection in a couple of weeks. It was originally was for the middle of August. These back spasms are no fun.
 
Hi again Wanderer,
I'm sorry you have to deal with the back spasms. Wishing you comfort as you wait for the injection and hope it brings you speedy relief. :console2:Please keep us posted.
@Wanderer123#
 
Hi. I realize this is last minute. I am scheduled for a steroid injection into the lower spine tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone had this scheduled shortly after having their TKR? Thinking about the possibility of the steroid slowing down the TKR healing, or acquiring an infection from the injection going over to the TKR? I do have a call into my knee doc. Just wondering...
 
@Wanderer123# Please check with your surgeon about this. He/she might want you to take antibiotics as a prophylactic measure.
 
Hi. Well I had the steroid spine injection about two hours ago. Super easy, super fast. The only pain was when the doc shot in the lidocaine first. So comfy was the face down cushiony table. Hopefully it will help with my lower back pain. I was given no antibiotics, but that sure sounds like a good idea.
 
Oh wow, that is great news!
 
Last edited:
The best news, Wanderer! Thanks for stopping by to share the positive change. May it only get better!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)
@Wanderer123#
 
Hi all. Well the spine steroid injection lasted for three glorious days, and then drifted off. My lower back is basically back to where it was before the injection. I have a second one scheduled in a couple weeks, using a different steroid and additional spots on my lower back. Oh well.

At four months post op the knee is still slightly swollen with the tightness feeling when walking. I still elevate it and use the ice a couple times a day. I have an appointment at the six month post op date, with the knee orthopedic PA, with X-rays. I'm wondering how long it takes for the "band of tightness" to go away?

I'm still taking extra strength Tylenol, with a muscle relaxer for the back spasms.
 
Tight band can persist to some degree for six, eight months but should be abating during that period.

I'm sorry the steroid relief was so short term. Yes, it often pays to have injections at several levels.
 
Hi all. Well the spine steroid injection lasted for three glorious days, and then drifted off. My lower back is basically back to where it was before the injection
So sorry the steroid jab didn't last.
I have chronic back issues ( lumbar arthritis and spinal stenosis) and I find pilates really helps to keep my back moving and the pain in check. If you can get on the floor OK have a look at my pilates teacher's free YouTube sessions.
Google Katja pilates back. and they come up. You can skip the kneeling if that is difficult but the back strength exercises have definitely helped me.
Regarding the knee stiffness- that lasted many months for me. It would disappear after sleep/ rest and gradually develop as the day wore on. Icing relieved it and I carried on having an afternoon ice session for about 7 months. Eventually at about a year I only got the stiffness after a particularly tough day looking after my toddler grandson and running up and down a lot of stairs. Now at 23 months- even that doesn't trigger it. I reckon it was just a bit of swelling that was so small that you couldn't see it but the knee joint is so compact that even a tiny bit of swelling makes it very tight.
 
Your responses are very encouraging. I guess I am inpatient to have the swelling gone, and the back stuff healed. It kind of creeps me out, not knowing when the back spasms will start. I had said to both the knee surgeon and the back doctor "I just want my life back." We had done four years of full time van life, including hiking and bicycling, just prior to the knee surgery. Apparently I need to be more patient. Ok, so done with complaining. Thanks for listening.
 
We're here to listen and we understand that patience can be difficult to come by during the healing process.
I believe you will get your life back...slowly but surely. Since you're only four months into a year long recovery...count on brighter days ahead. Try to hold that reality as your focus when tempted by uncertainty about your recovery. I hope you have a good week, Wanderer!
@Wanderer123#
 
Back
Top Bottom