Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Questions for the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@catdemar Hello Cat, I was waiting for you to post that the surgery pain has bit you. Been there and done that. You were chopped,sawed, sliced and ect. and only 30 days. Let your body heal and listen to us "PROS" Let your body take over sometimes our brain outsmarts itself. Relax and smell the roses on this bilateral journey.
 
@Michegon I'm trying. I was feeling so good then pow. The limps coming back and the pain came in, or the other way around. Took it easy yesterday. Didn't do much at all. Passed on my home PT but just walked a little. Wanted to give my hips time to relax a bit. Feeling a bit sore this morning, but think I might have to take a pain pill (1/2 or even 1/4 ) to get through PT today. I really don't like the way these things are making me feel, but nothing else seems to work.
Slow and steady right. :)
Hahaha. I'm not that person, but I'll try.
 
I was feeling so good then pow.
That's what your hips are saying! My friend you are doing way too much for only 4 weeks out of BTHR! All that activity and cutting down your meds. :no-fin:

If you don't like the way the meds make you feel, please call your family doctor and get an alternate pain med. You simply can not get mobile without good pain management. Partial doses are not letting you stay ahead of the pain.
 
Hi @catdemar
It is a difficult and complicated process with one let alone two THRs. Just wanted to comment about your pain meds. My early days meds that I had is hospital made me feel awful too, very giddy, woozy and sick. Pre op I knew that paracetamol/tylenol did not work for me. However post op, the minute I got home, I took the maximum dose 2x500mg four doses a day and despite my reservations it worked really well! Can you try the maximum dose, giving it a day to get fully in to your system and see if it works for you?

I feel your disappointment, feeling you are going backwards. I think we all have a dose of that but amazingly soon it becomes history!

Look after yourself x
 
@catdemar Hi, Just wanted to let you know that i am not harping on you, just that i made mistakes too. Umm, Like putting a window air conditioner in on my second full day home. I got down on the floor and could not get up. I had to climb up on the couch, uhh, what a stupid act. But, i learned from that day on. Heal, your body did not forget how to work.
 
Hi @catdemar,
Hope you are feeling better and hope you have solved your pain management problems. I fully understand your disappointment and want to send you encouragement.

I just had LHR not bilateral replacement, but - oh my God - my left leg is often positively sore. After lots of activities, I rest that leg and am usually ok the next day, and can get on ok with the physical effort. We do very strenuous exercises to build up muscles, here, and they say I Need that to build up my atrophied muscles again. But I always feels sore afterwards, while I don't feel sore after Walking, cycling and Swimming. These things relieve pain more than anything. Ice helps me, too. So trytThese approaches, if you don't like the terrible medicine - as alternatives. Also - certain stretching exercises help me a lot.

I like your photo and your pretty smile, and your nickname is interesting while "cat" is probably short for Catherine or Katie, was is the "demar" - could it be that it's French and comes from the sea?

Sending you best wishes - Constanze
 
Like putting a window air conditioner in on my second full day home.
Yikes!!!!:shocked::yikes: That provided a good "life lesson" for you!

@catdemar If you find yourself limping, be sure you are using your walker or crutches to avoid that. Limping is not good for your body and will likely give you pain in parts you didn't even know you had! Seriously....the purpose of the walking aids is to support you while you're not strong enough to walk with a proper gait. The support allows you to walk with a more normal (limp free) stride and gets your body back to working in the proper way. This is critical to a good recovery.
 
Hi @catdemar

Hope you are feeling a degree better. You were brave to go for a bilateral hr and I look forward to hearing of your developments x

[Bonesmart.org] Questions for the pros.
 
My pain in my left back and hip is not getting any better. It comes as soon as I move it first thing in the morning. Any movement starts the pain in my back. If I lay on my back and lift my left leg at 90de and move it major grinding, popping sound along with the pain in the back. :( anyone have back pain? It's only on one side.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey, hey, hey,...
Yea I know I have been gone for over a month but I wanted to check on you & see what's up? Ouch!!!
"Sage-Fem" is right, let me say it again. "Sage-Fem is right!!

Well I don't know where to start, lecture, yes here it comes, buck up and take it like a women (ha,ha,ha)
I type like, like I talk so please don't be offended "Anyone who reads". Everyone is different but listen to your body you are doing way too much right now. I think I have 4 weeks on you "March 11th was when they chopped off my legs & sewed them back on, it was about 3 weeks ago that I actually put on my own socks & shoes, & got rid of the wire rack that goes over the bowl (potty time). So don't sweat the small stuff.

Are you going to "PT", or are doing the **** on the piece of paper they gave you?? I went to "PT" right away ride the bike, stair step, do your paper junk, then the guy comes & "BENDS YOU LIKE A PRETZEL" ouchhh!!!
Soon after they add weights to your paper **** & that hurts like hell, they increase the time you ride the bike & stair step, burn that last 2 min. though it is good for you pump it!!!

We bought a ninja, juice, juice, juice everyday!!! Kale, carrots, apple. Frozen blue berry, banana, cherry, ect... what ever you like & taste good body needs nutrients it is healing, I don't think I have eating as much food in my life. I'm starving 24-7 any & everything I can get my hands on. Heal the body!!! (We cook food)

The "Mind" you must be strong & with "GODs" help you will be... (Mind over matter) you have heard that one before right?? so put it to use pain, ache's, swelling, tingle, itch, throb, ect... it all comes with the territory, & you know it dose, so either take the pain meds & put up with the side effects or don't & let the body get back to normal the natural way!!

You need a ton of rest too!!! I'm only getting about 4-5 hours sleep straight & then maybe a nap or another 1-2 hours when ever I can "REST HEALS THE BODY"!!! Weather has a lot to do with it too, you are in "Frisco" right well it is same here one day it is 70-80 & the next it is 50=40 daytime, night can get down to freezing!!

One day at a time. some days I feel great like superman & others it sucks stiff & hurt!!! My right leg is the one from the growing down to the thigh like an "L" shape tingles, hurts, numb, ect... Scars too some days they itch, tingle, hurt, ect... that is just the way it is & it will get better as time goes on!!

I push it, you know no ice let the muscle heal natural like, no pain meds, let the body & mind be one, pray to god that everything will be all right. Remember what the lady said at the begin of this fourm??

Why stand when you can sit!!
Why sit when you can lay!!

Why be in pain when you can take meds?? Time, time, time... that is all it is.

Sore, aches, uncomfortable, & every now & then a shooting pain, but hey that just means you are healing. You are what 8 weeks in well I say you are on the cusp, don't let it get you down do what you can & what feels good. if it don't stop rest. My doctors says anything short from falling on my hip ride bike, climb ladder on roof, ect... that my hip will not pop out of place. So go for it do what you can & what you want if it hurts then stop.
 
@Sagefemme thank you. This is what I needed. Didnt think of it as nagging, but a true statement and will try to follow. Only thing with the meds, they just make me loopy and hope to see of some thing else will work. Tylonol does not seem to do the trick.
Thank you for your encouraging and knowledgable information. :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ASPER, thanks!
And I love your words of wisdom as well. Straight and too the point.
I also do a veggie blend every day. I can't start my day with out it.,
It's hard to slow down with a very demanding job, but I'm trying. Naps are something I could never do. I do try to relax in the afternoon for a bit, but not always possible and only sleeping 5-6!hours myself.
I've been doing PT for 4 weeks twice a week(no one pushes or stretches me there ) and everyday at home, and would like to step it up a bit and was given the ok, but the pain was holding me back. I did take my son to a baseball game today and brought one crutch.....pain is not as bad today, guess that tells me something.

I see the OS tomorrow for 6 week check up, I will mention the issues and see what he says but sure it will be the same info you guys have given me. I need to try to slow down and not be so frustrated about progress. I bought a fitbit so I can track my steps, this will help tell me if I've done too much. I didn't realize how much I was walking. This is not to push it but to understand what my days look like.
Ok so the day at the A's game took a lot out if me. Going to try to sleep early tonight.
Thanks for all the great worlds of wisdom and support.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@catdemar, I'm glad your pain was less today. I'm sure you are doing your very best with all this. You sound like you are a very productive person who is just used to getting a lot done in a day. Good luck at the doctor's office tomorrow.
 
Hi @catdemar , I'm glad you've cheered up and hope the pain will gradually die down. My Approach to pain/Exhaustion is ice and rest now. I'm not taking any more pain meds. Also - movements that feel good, because while the emphasis in the past was on rest (they actually made People lie in bed for 3 weeks decades ago), it's on mobilising as soon as possible, and in doing so they actually move the healthy parts of the Body first. So there's a lot of exercise you can do right from the start plus a Little bit of Walking of course. Movements that feel good/exercise that feels good includes certain stretching exercises, Swimming and cycling. I combine periods of exercise with periods of rest - not actually sleep - that's reserved for the night. I just read or watch a film. I take this opportunity to do these things to recover before I finally go back to work. Hugs and all the best for your recovery - Constanze
 
Went to 6week check up. He said he is not where I should be as far as pain and instead of coming back in a year I have to come back in 6 months. He Thinks it's just tendons and muscles that have to work themselves out, because X-rays look good. I need to strengthen and stretch more....not sure how much more I can do, but I guess instead of once a day I'll do it twice. He also has me going to PT 3 times a week now. I'm going to be fine but going to take longer than I had hoped.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry have to go back in 6 weeks not 6 months.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
hi @catdemar - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
@Poppet thanks I've seen this but doctor said I should not really be at this point now and so wants me to come back.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I will be very interested in what your doctor has to say - best wishes :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom